Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Some minor issues

So we went out the other weekend for the first trip of the year in our trailer. I have been having some minor issues with it.

The thermostat mode CT button did not work very well. I have put in a new bluetooth version nice little upgrade.

I have been unable to get a decent picture on the television when connected to the park cable service. I purchased a tool from amazon (Klein Explorer 2 Tester) which would show shorts and open circuits. Well after testing all the wiring I could find it turns out the small box with the 12v outlet and booster button is displaying a short on the tester. I have ordered a new one (Don't want to deal with the dealership for a $30 part) and hope to see better reception on the television in the near future.

While in bed I heard a loud wooden banging noise. I could see nothing obvious at the time, but it soon became quite clear. This weekend I took a new mattress down to the camper to replace the factory one. When I took the old mattress off, I noticed the plywood bed base was warped, when I lifted the base I noticed one of the stringer was coming away from the plywood at the very end. For a man of my size (6'1 and 340 pounds) 1/4 inch plywood is not going to cut it. I am going to rebuild the platform with more strength. I will replace the 1/4 plywood with 3/4 sanded plywood. I will retain the 2x2 stringers simply to have a guild to allow me to seperate the platform into 2 parts as it is now. I am then going to reinforce the plywood with angle iron cross members and stringers. These should help to keep the plywood flat. I am also going to see if I can build a small Center support into the area under the bed as well. I will take photos for the mods section but once I am finished I should have no issues with the bed platform. I am also going to upgrade the gas struts at the same time.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Its all part of the experience!

Sucks the support on the bed isn't up to snuff. Downside to building light weight trailers I guess.

Good luck on the mods!!
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

My 195RB has storage under the bed. There is a hinge attached to that thin plywood and therefore the new plywood is installed on top of that. I built a dividing wall to both separate the storage compartment and to support the bed.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote