Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #21

So what did the security cameras show?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #22

Appreciate everyone's response. Besides being annoying, I lucked put compared to some of your stories shared here. Waiting on the 'regional manager' to get back to me. They don't seem to care much since I was the only one who filed a complaint and there was no 'real damage'. No phone call, no follow-up saying "hey, sorry about what happened...".

Given that, I've found a new privately owned storage lot that I was unable to get into 6 months ago/had a waiting list. Better security controls and a closer to home. Plus my parents and brother store there with no issues.
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #23

I'm looking for a new storage place too. The one I'm at now sounds a lot like the one you're currently using.

I don't suppose I'll ever feel totally comfortable about it until we buy our next house in the mountains. Sorry to hear about the break in.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #24

I park our trailer in a barn on a farm 30 miles from our home, the barn is not secure, but the owner was adamant that it is perfect safe out there. I do plan to drive out there on Saturday to raise all of the blinds so people can see that there is nothing inside of value except for the Furrion stereo.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #25

Trail Cam

I'm thinking of setting up a trail cam on the fireplace mantel. It can probably be hidden among the trinkets on the mantle. They have them priced as low as $30 if you look around. They also have infa -red enabling them to take pictures in darkness. It won't replace the items taken, but you may have a picture you can share with the police.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
On top of all that, one of them took a crap in the toilet as well. I haven't been that pi**ed off in a long time.
Is it possible for the authorities to get DNA samples from that?
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #27

As the saying goes, “A lock only keeps honest people out.” Anyone who really wants to break into your RV will.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #28

The sad part of all of this is that the "authorities" don't really go after these people, usually. If they are part of a burglar ring and this is one of their hits, maybe. They're overloaded and it seems the thieves know that.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The sad part of all of this is that the "authorities" don't really go after these people, usually. If they are part of a burglar ring and this is one of their hits, maybe. They're overloaded and it seems the thieves know that.
I work in the Law Enforcement (support side not a LEO) part of the world and I would agree that this is very true.

Hitting a storage lot like this often goes weeks if not months before it is detected if done in the "off season" like now. So even of they caught the person odds are you would never see your stuff back. It is liquidated in a matter of hours to a couple days at most. While some might be a case of a burglar ring more often it is meth heads looking for a quick score to buy their next hit. However that may be different depending on your location.

Even if they are caught, odds are they will be release and slapped on the wrist by the judicial side of the house as this is seen as a non-violent crime. So unless it was a big ring caught red handed with a lot of inventory it would result in very little happening in the long run.

As I mentioned before. There isn't much that can be done other than looking for a safer storage location in an area less likely to get hit. The problem is most locations that would allow (zoning) a storage lot are also the types of locations that are more desirable for people like this to go
"shopping". Not necessarily saying a bad part of town. It might simply be more of an industrial or commercial area that they know there is more opportunity with less chance of bumping into someone and getting caught after hours.

I will just leave my comments on this stuff as general facts and not get into my personal thoughts on this...
Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #30

I would hope that my comments would not be construed as derogatory towards law enforcement... just that they are overloaded. And as you say, the judicial side is far too lenient on "non-violent" types. I doubt they'd be so lenient on me if I'd caught them...
Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
I would hope that my comments would not be construed as derogatory towards law enforcement... just that they are overloaded. And as you say, the judicial side is far too lenient on "non-violent" types. I doubt they'd be so lenient on me if I'd caught them...
No, I didn't take it that way.

I agree they are overloaded and was just pointing out the why part of why crimes like these all too often get pushed to the bottom of the stack. About the only hope of a punishment with any teeth is if they happened to get caught with something else at the same time that escalates the level of the crime or if their rap sheet is long enough. A simple TV in the trunk isn't valued high enough. All too often they are out doing it again a few hours or days after getting caught which makes it frustrating for them.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #32

Quote:

I knew where you were coming from. Actually, my DNA in the poop comment was meant to be tongue in cheek.
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #33

I can only hope for someone to break into mine and steal that piece of junk Furrion TV.
chesterBurnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #34

I use motion sensor alarms I bought at Harbor Freight on the door and the electric steps and most of the storage doors. I am looking for even louder alarms? I think loud noises and flashing lights should scare most of them off. I just hope they aren't angry enough to break my class A windshield.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #35

DW and I drove out to the farm where we are storing our new TT, just to make certain that all is good. I lifted the blinds so would-be thieves can see inside, rather than wonder what is behind the closed blinds. They can clearly see that there are no televisions or other pricy items worth breaking in for.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote