Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #1

Someone Broke Into my Camper...Grrr....

Issue- any alternate way to secure the access doors on the camper from the outside to prevent a break in?

I keep my Jayflight 28BHBE in a secure storage facility; fenced, cameras; limited hours for keypad gate access (e.g. 6 am-10 pm); decent neighborhood. High winds in our area made me want to do my monthly winter storage check on the cover/do a welfare check.

Upon arrival, I saw my cover was partially unzipped, the grab handle was on the wrong side and the door was open- flinging against my cover in the wind.

I scrambled to open it fully relieved that there was no damage to the inside or anything missing. I take out all of the electronics and anything valuable for this reason. However, it was clear someone jammed a screwdriver or other implement into both the lock and deadbolt and made their way into the camper. I was more relieved that they didn't vandalize it.

Driving through the storage lot, I noted several other campers that had their grab handles either "out" or not against the door. So I'm guessing there I'm not going to be the first one to file a complaint with the storage place.

I ran a 6 ft. cable lock around the stairs then through the grab handle. Not the best, but is a deterrent for now making it next to impossible to open the door more than a few inches.

Outside of installing aftermarket deadbolts, has anyone devised a method of securing the access doors while in storage? I've poked around threads, but was unable to find a decent solution. Just curious. Thanks.
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

General advice on secuing things and places.

You can lock out the courious.

You can not stop a determined thief.

Anything that appears valuable and is left unattended will become a target.

Your best defense is keeping an obvious eye on your property. Making it clear to anyone casing the place/object, they will expect to get caught. That will send them on to easier pickings.

A strong and obvious lock, will only slow down the drug addicts looking for somthing to feed thier habit.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Mine was broken into last year. Same scenario... good, supposedly secure facility in a good neighborhood. Eleven campers in all were broken into. One, next to the fence, was used as a depository for all the loot from the others. We're pretty sure they intended to come back and hand all the TVs etc over the fence some night, soon after. They didn't take anything out of my camper except some movies. I ended up getting all of them back but one. They did damage the entry door to the bedroom. I replaced it myself for less than my insurance deductible. The Class A behind us in the facility had about $40,000- in damage... just tore it up bad and only removed 2 TVs. It was later discovered that this was done by 2 illegal aliens that have rap sheets, but couldn't be found. I have since sold that camper and bought the one in my sig... What a PITA...
Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

If there was a way to secure a camper I sure would like to know. Had the same scenario as you. I'm in a gated storage area, nice area, limited hours, cameras etc. They hit every trailer around me looking for TV's. At the time, I didn't keep a tv in mine, but still, they damaged the door getting in for a look. It was still functional so I just I bent back some of the aluminum edge to at least flatten out some of the damage. Pretty frustrating.

2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I took out the TV and anything of value for winter storage- all that was in there was toilet paper . My camper is under a storage cover- so I'm surprised someone took the time to even mess with it. The front of my cover was undone as well. I suspect they were looking for batteries too.
RunningDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

Through The Roof Vent

In my storage compound they were going up on the roof, kicking in a skylight or roof vent and then they would lower a small kid through the hole and he opened the door.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Clearly this is not a secure storage location, no matter what the sign out front might say. I would file a complaint with the storage outfit and request compensation (although I am sure they have a loophole in their paperwork).
If they are not will to actually provide secure storage, I would move elsewhere.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Site Team

As mentioned if they want in they are getting in. Even the front pass through is easy access to many trailers with the front bed configuration. Pry open the door (or use a 751 key on most) crawl in push up the bed and you`re in.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

I've been thinking of making a sign saying that the TV and anything else of value is removed... but in these parts it'll have to be in English and Espanol... And I'm sure they'll vandalize the trailer anyway, so why bother.

TxLoser... That's the way my door looked and the fibergalss was crushed and broken, and I had to replace it as a unit... couldn't just find parts... had to buy the whole door. Thieves are a pain in the arse...
Old 03-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningDad View Post
My camper is under a storage cover- so I'm surprised someone took the time to even mess with it.
When I read your first post, I was thinking, having a cover made a better target, somewhere to hide from the cameras.

Now with this second comment about your cover, strengthens my theory.

A trailer that is not covered, an intruder is open to view, you provided the perfect camouflage to keep them from being seen.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

I don't lock mine; replacing its' meager contents would be cheaper than repairs.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
In my storage compound they were going up on the roof, kicking in a skylight or roof vent and then they would lower a small kid through the hole and he opened the door.
That's how they got into mine. All my vents are covered with Maxxair covers and they unclipped the main cover, ripped off the flimsy vent cover, cut the wires and unscrewed the Fantastic fan [which was laying on the roof] and lowered a small person into the camper bathroom and walked out with the TV. No damage other than the vent and nothing else taken. I was able to repair everything far cheaper than my insurance deductible. On top of all that, one of them took a crap in the toilet as well. I haven't been that pi**ed off in a long time. Tv comes out now and I don't lock the deadbolts. 14 other campers were hit in the storage area that night.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I don't lock mine; replacing its' meager contents would be cheaper than repairs.
I was just thinking that.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Reminds me of a hunting cabin I know of in a remote location that was locked and constantly getting broken into. They gave up on locking it and have less problems then before since there is little of value there anyway. If there`s a lock on it the naturally dishonestly curious must assume there are valuables inside.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
That's how they got into mine. All my vents are covered with Maxxair covers and they unclipped the main cover, ripped off the flimsy vent cover, cut the wires and unscrewed the Fantastic fan [which was laying on the roof] and lowered a small person into the camper bathroom and walked out with the TV. No damage other than the vent and nothing else taken. I was able to repair everything far cheaper than my insurance deductible. On top of all that, one of them took a crap in the toilet as well. I haven't been that pi**ed off in a long time. Tv comes out now and I don't lock the deadbolts. 14 other campers were hit in the storage area that night.
Indiana huh?
Sure sounds like they had a lot of knowledge about trailers... for a thief. Maybe some of the people who work for those big trailer companies are finding a new line of work?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
snip... On top of all that, one of them took a crap in the toilet as well. ...snip
IMO, it was very considerate of the thief to leave it in there.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
WOW!! Well I guess they're starting them out young. Sad....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #18

Don't you just hate it, you work just to have something in life and these yahoo just break into your rv and destroyed it. It mess up so you have insurance and hope for the best, sorry for your misfortune and hopefully you can get it work out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #19

A cheap thing that could help...

Get one of these and attach it to the doors. Turn it on, and close the door. These are very loud. It may started the thieves just enough to make the, leave.

Door Window Entry Alarm Security System Battery Wireless Security Burglar | eBay

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #20

As others have pointed out the locks on these campers are pretty weak but even if improved there are other ways in. I am an Information Technology Security Analyst so trained not only in assessing data security but physical security. Because of this I have been through training on picking locks and how criminals gain access to "secure areas". Bottom line there isn't much out there to stop a motivated criminal provided they have enough time. Even if you went with better (notice I didn't say unpickable) locks there are other ways in like skylights, vents or weak doors as pointed out.

This is why I don't live in town where the HOAs complain if there is a camper at your house for more than a day or two. There are currently 5 campers in the back of our lot because of family members that live in town. Because of the terrain of our lot there is no way of knowing they are back there. I like keeping my camper close to home under the watchful eye of my good buddies Smith and Wesson.