Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

South Texas and Air Conditioners

Just returned from Corpus Christi, Texas. Camped at Lauguna Village RV park for 6 weeks of windsurfing at Padre Island National Seashore. i do this every spring and fall and have a wonderful time.

However, it is always the same old problem with the TT A/C. It drips water and I mean a lot of water inside the TT. Humidity is 90% in South Texas. I have pulled the A/C canopy looking for the drip line (thinking it is plugged) but never can find it. When I return to Arizona everything is AOK; no water drips.
My conclusion is that AC cannot handle humidty and I just have to live with it.

Anyone have similiar problems?
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

No. Mine drips all the water outside and depending on the level and the amount, it will either puddle up on the roof until I leave (then there will be a waterfall) of it will trickle off one corner or the other.

In your case i suspect the seal between the AC unit and the roof is leaking.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

South Texas and Air Conditioners

No problem with mine either. We are around Houston and very high humidity also and no dripping inside. Do you leave a window open?
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

I was having the water dripping in mine. It sounded like a shower when it started to hit the vinyl floor in the kitchen area. It would also freeze up when it started this. Well yesterday I went on the roof and found the problem. The drain outlet had a little rubber grommet in it that had a very small opening. Somehow it was almost touching the roof material. I have no idea whether it was improperly installed or had worked its way down to the roof. This is on a Coleman Mach 15K A/C unit. The drain is almost impossible to find. I had to remove the top plastic shroud; then I had to remove the top of the plenum covering the condenser coils; then I had to remove the left hand panel of the plenum as you are facing from the front to the rear of the unit. The drain outlet is on the left hand side under the condenser coils. I called my dealer and asked him how to resolve this drainage problem. He advised to remove the plug and don't worry about it. So I did and put it all back together and no more water dripping inside. It was doing this freezing/dripping when the temps were in the 90s with high humidity. My unit is less than two years old and the seal around the unit is tight. Low freon causes them to freeze also but like my dealer said you don't see that very often. As another poster stated it could be a leaking gasket but it also could be due to poor drainage as in my case.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Ahem... http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...nt-(with-pics) OK, in a high humidity area your AC will drip more obviously that in a area with less and is normal just make sure the drain is clear so it can drip onto the roof. Now if the gasket/seal is not good and secure your will get the interior drips as I experienced last summer. I'd start by snugging your AC bolts and dump some water up there around the gasket to see if all is good. If not, gasket replaceent time.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #6

Nice writeup on the gasket replacement.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #7

Mine does fine as well in the North Texas areas and border OKLA...

I always park my trailer so the back is just a inch or so lower than then the front. This helps the run off go to the back side of the trailer. I have also seen some folks applying dicor to make a dam like thing to route the run-off water to the side rain gutter to keep the run off away from the rear window area.

Here is a pictorial of a typical air conditioner install. I suspect your 14X14-inch roof seal needs inspection. You can look up in the bottom section and see this foam gasket. It should be depressed about 1/4-inch all the way around it. You can also see the four long bolts that hold the top half in place - I have re-adjusted mine on several occasions as I guess the roof seal seal gasket starts losing it firmness.

You might look up in here on your next high humid camping. This is the only place I have ever seen water getting into the trailer from the roof mounted air conditioner...

On my OFF-ROAD POPUP with the fabric walls and tent ends I sometimes get a lot of condensation in high humid nights. Nothing worse than waking up with water dripping on your nose from the metal rails inside the tent bed. The fix for us on this problem was to keep a fan running all night long inside the trailer.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #8

Thank you !!
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

Great info, Thanks!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote