Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #1

Space heaters?

It’s starting to get cold out. Are electric space haters safe to use in a travel trailer? If so, what styles are recommended?

Thanks!
TeamRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:18 AM   #2

I tried ceramic heaters,,, very noisy fans. Wore me out with the noise.

My best electric heater is a NO NOISE oil-filled radiator type heater from Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot. Once it gets warm, it gives off heat all day and rarely clicks on because the oil inside the heater stays warm. NO oil leaks and no hot spots near carpet or pets.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:23 AM   #3
Site Team

We have always used Vornado brand fans. Online and sometimes even Walmart carries them.

We have also used the "Tower style fans. Lasko is the one we use now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Ele...6&athpgid=athe

We carry both in the rig for those chilly mornings. The oe Dimplex fireplace is also handy at times.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

Ceramic heater

Space is always at a premium so we use a “ cube “ ceramic heater & move it to the other room ( not outrageously noisy but you can hear it ) I like that you can use it on low ( 750 watts ) as I’m not confident that Jayco used the best and heaviest wiring ( just me being over cautious ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #5

We have a small Lasco tower heater we put on the kitchen counter. It takes a bit to warm the whole camper but I use it to supplement the furnace.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

My wife picked up one of these, instant heat and it does a good job heating our TT, we plug it in under the table out of the way. Our last Halloween campout the temps dropped to the upper 20's and it had no problem heating on the low setting.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell...Black/45014171

But I agree with Riverman about oil heaters, once warmed up they put out great heat and are quiet. Unfortunately they are a little big for our small 195RB, I've seen some mini 700 watt oil heaters online I'm going to check the dimensions.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I

My best electric heater is a NO NOISE oil-filled radiator type heater from Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot. Once it gets warm, it gives off heat all day and rarely clicks on because the oil inside the heater stays warm. NO oil leaks and no hot spots near carpet or pets.
Same here and been using it for 5 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

On our trip last week I grabbed a small ceramic “safety” heater out of the garage to maybe reduce the propane use since we had full hook ups. It’s probably 20 years old. After about 4 hours of use something happened, it started sparking and shot a 4 inch flame out the front before we got it unplugged. Could have been some dust build up or something.

I’ve never seen anything like that in my years, and I’m old, lol. I don’t think that will ever happen again, but I also probably won’t ever leave a heater unattended. Tip over switches are probably a good idea also, especially if you have a pet.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Same here and been using it for 5 years now.
Thanks, I'm glad you posted that pic! Around here all I've seen and used is the upright oil heaters and didn't think about the baseboard heaters. Time to start searching again.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

If we're at a campground with an electrical hookup, we absolutely use an electric heater when needed. Our's is a little tower unit, with a quiet fan. Keeps our 26 BH at 71 degrees when is gets into the upper 20's outside.

An advantage of the electric (other than propane savings) is that it doesn't put any moisture into the air like propane does, so we get much less condensation.

We have another small, cube heater that has a thermostat, but the thermostat works very poorly, and the fan's noisy. Gonna toss it.

Our tower has no thermostat, so we're going to replace it a quiet heater with a good thermostat.

Definitely like the electric heat.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

We've always had good luck with the small cube-type ceramic heaters. I'm not looking to heat the whole "house" with it, I just want it to supplement the on-board furnace so it's not running all the time.

My dad uses a "tower" heater in his rig, and it doesn't seem to work as well as my little cube. Could be because his trailer has more holes than a colander...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

With kids running around the unit, something to consider is a space heater that has auto shut off if it gets knocked over at any time
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #13

Like others, we us a 'Lasco' with a fan and thermostat.

We like the bedroom cool, so we set the electric heater at the rear with the temp 'guesstimated' to be ~60degF. If it gets cold enough, the TT furnace kicks in.

In the AM, we shut off the electric heater to brew coffee and use propane to bring the temp up. With the trailer warm and the coffee hot, we set the temp higher on the electric heater and let that and the sunshine keep the trailer comfortable.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

We have a similar Lasko Tower Heater like norty1 linked to. It's a great little heater. We set the temp, put it on high and turn oscillation on. We generally put it at one end of the TT and let it run. It is thermostatically controlled. It can also be set on Max and it will run for 8 hours or use the built-in timer.

The one we have is remote controlled. At night we'll set it to run on Max for 2 hours. We fall asleep, the camper starts to cool off after the heater turns off. Then in the morning, we use the remote to turn it back on. By the time we get out of bed, the camper is nice and warm again.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post
Thanks, I'm glad you posted that pic! Around here all I've seen and used is the upright oil heaters and didn't think about the baseboard heaters. Time to start searching again.
I would have to measure it again but I think it's about 38-42" long and as you know you just set it and forget it !
Old 11-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #16

We've used a small electric heater in our prior 23' TT and it was sufficient for keeping us warm when the temperatures were in the forties at night. It has a tip over shut-off and I think if you put it in a location away from anything highly combustible it should be o.k.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #17

Nobody has mentioned the Dyson fan that has heat, thermostat, and oscillates. Yeah they are pricey but it works like a charm. We camp where propane is a ways away but plugged in, and it will keep our 32BHTS comfy down to about 40 and then the ends get cool if the heater is in the middle. Once it dropped to 20 I of course had the furnace on but then pionted the Dyson at the cubby hole where all of my water lines and water pump is, just to be safe. Doesn't get hot enough to burn anyone and still has a tip over shut off.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #18

Thanks for all these tips! I’ll be looking into a heater tonight!
TeamRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #19

I use this low profile OIL FILLED Electric Heater in my OFF-ROAD POPUP... It is only 14-inches high and has no open flames or red hot cores to worry about. The only noise I hear is an occasional CLICK... I power this up with an extension cord plugged into the camp ground 20-AMP Service from their pedestal. This does not take away from their 30AMP Service connection...

I also will place one of those 10-inch fans behind this heater to move some hot air alittle better.

Been doing this since 2008 and works great for us...

Very safe with animals and small kids...

Our big propane heater setup is just way too much heat for us. It runs us out real quick.. We like sleeping under covers anyway...

Ordered this Heater and FAN from AMAZON...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Space is always at a premium so we use a “ cube “ ceramic heater & move it to the other room ( not outrageously noisy but you can hear it ) I like that you can use it on low ( 750 watts ) as I’m not confident that Jayco used the best and heaviest wiring ( just me being over cautious ) Les
x1. Most of these heaters use 1,500 - 1,800 watts on the high setting--that's 12-15 amps of continuous draw--near max for most RV (and home) circuits. Like you, we prefer to use these heaters on the low or 750-900 watt (6-7.5 amps) setting for that little extra margin of safety.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote