Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #1

Spare Tire Replacement Question

If you bought a brand new trailer and was going to immediately replace the four off-brand C-rated tires with Goodyear Endurance D-rated tires of the exact same size would you keep the new factory spare on the bumper or spend the extra $84 and have a matching Endurance spare?

Factors - When not in use the trailer is always parked under a hard roof out of the direct weather, will always have a tire cover on it, I have to pay $15 regardless to have the spare broken down to install a metal valve stem for my TPMS.

I keep flipping back and forth. If we were on a long trip and had to run the spare the peace of mind would be nice.....in four years I'm going to have to take my never used tire off and chuck it in the trash heap.....

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #2

I'd keep the factory spare and not worry about adding a TPMS sensor. In my case, I put on the spare only long enough to get my "premium" tire repaired and put back on the trailer.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Keep the spare. In the rare event of having to use it, replace the blown tire as soon as you can.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #4

As you say, if you’re contemplating a long trip...
If I kept the original spare I wouldn’t bother with the metal stem but if I got the new spare then I’d go with the stem change.
IMHO, get the new spare. What did you spend on the TT vs the cost of the spare tire? In for a penny. . .

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #5

I would just keep original spare tire. You don't need to install metal stem. It is the 'spare' tire. You'll probably never use it.

I have 14ply Goodyears on my trailer. I also still have original spare that came with trailer. It is NOT a 14 ply Goodyear.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

I was in that same boat a few years back! Are you keeping the same size tires? Assumption is yes. If so, not as big of a deal then.

In a building or under cover does not seam to matter to tire wear. Ozone seams to have the biggest affect on tires.

I changed my spare, it had a few years of life on it. It looked good, was never used. I decided to change it to keep the load ratings the same, so incase I ever did need it, I know I would not have a potential issues, with balance, sway or anything else. Was I be cautious or foolish, not sure. All I know is I really do not want to be stuck on the side of the road with flat, or without a good spare. It is a hard decision, but it is only $100

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

Since I've already paid for the spare tire to be broken down and already ordered five metal valve stems I just went ahead and added a fifth Goodyear.

I'm imagine it will be a waste of $100 but I've wasted more than that on a lot sillier stuff over the years........

Now the question is: Leave the new take-off's with Discount Tire because I have better things to deal with or attempt to sell them and deal with the hassle.....

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #8

I just put 4 GY Endurance tires on my TT, kept the original spare. I did have new metal stems put in for the new tires, although the original rubber ones still looked OK and worked fine with my TPMS. Wonder if the rubber ones they install at the factory are Made in China?? I left the 4 original tires at Discount Tire....didn't want the hassle of selling them myself.

I also rotated my 2 year old tires on my truck. While I was at it I lowered the spare to check the pressure, and it was down to 27 psi. The date on the tire was 2007 and has been never used since new on my '07 Tundra. The sidewalls were extremely cracked so I promptly replaced it with a new tire. So a word of advice, check your spare on your TV every so often!
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
. . . Now the question is: Leave the new take-off's with Discount Tire because I have better things to deal with or attempt to sell them and deal with the hassle.....

Thanks.
What's your time worth? We replaced the 4 E-rated tires on a previous trailer with G-rated, all-steel belted tires. Sold the 4, almost new, E-rated tires on Craigslist for $200.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
What's your time worth?

I did think I might do the same, but in this day and age of lawyers and lawsuits I decided against it. Would be just my luck that somebody would install them on their RV, have a blowout that causes serious damage and come after me for the cost of repairs. I was happy enough just to see them gone from my RV.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Site Team

I would replace the spare. Next time you buy tires, keep it and know that you have a good spare hanging under there and not some unknown.

I bought 5 G614's and the spare has never been on the ground and never will be except to get me to a tire shop, then it's a spare again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I did think I might do the same, but in this day and age of lawyers and lawsuits I decided against it. Would be just my luck that somebody would install them on their RV, have a blowout that causes serious damage and come after me for the cost of repairs. I was happy enough just to see them gone from my RV.
I suppose the same concern could also be directed towards anything you sell---say, on Craigslist or at a garage sale. When you sell a used travel trailer or a used car it also has tires that could fail. Don't see a lot of folks removing tires before they sell their trailer or car because they fear being sued.

If you're that concerned, you do have the option of having a buyer sign a disclaimer/release to reduce your odds of incurring any liability.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

I priced 2 new goodyears one grade up (c to D) and then looked at my rims. NO RATING anywhere. So I found 2 premounted on line for about the same.

I sold the 2 year old Raineers for a few bucks for a guy to use locally on a small boat trailer. His tires were over 12 years old so he was happy.

Kept the Raineer spare, hope to never use it but if I do it will be to the nearest Goodyear dealer then back on the rear mount.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Since I've already paid for the spare tire to be broken down and already ordered five metal valve stems I just went ahead and added a fifth Goodyear.

I'm imagine it will be a waste of $100 but I've wasted more than that on a lot sillier stuff over the years........

Now the question is: Leave the new take-off's with Discount Tire because I have better things to deal with or attempt to sell them and deal with the hassle.....

Thanks.

Good answer. Not necessarily the right one but this issue kind of falls in the category that there is no right answer. If the decision was for an item costing 5x or more than replacing a tire unnecessarily you would likely think twice about making the same decision.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #15

Found 2830 stamped on the inside of wheels, both aluminum and steel spare. Thank you Jayco for that build! They could have shipped a lesser rating for D rated it came with using Raineers. Now it is full speed ahead with 80 psi LR E and Endurance.
I will also change the spare, let them keep all tires. DOT markings will be a non issue even though I hope to never use the spare.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #16

I am sure the tires on my 2015 Jayco were original factory tires, we just replaced all 5 with the GY Endurance. I didn't want to need the spare and then have an issue with the spare.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #17

I got goodyear endurances on my 18 x23b. I will likely replace them regardless of or tread at age 4-5 years.

I'll offer the old ones up for free toa neighbor or CL so they can get their old tires off the road. Plus avoids a 6 or 9 dollar a tire disposal fee. It's doing me a favor.

I will also put a spare one with new goodyears. I would rather do my trip and travels and replace a tire at my leisure than wonder how good my spare is. I know ita good and for the cost of a tire I will never have to wonder about it on a long trip.

I am also considering buying a second spare since the trailer has a tandem axel. I am of the opinion if something takes out one tire it will likely take out both on the side in the case of someone dropping a box of nails on the highway or other shrapnel.

For the record I don't carry a second spare for the truck. That doesn't bother me as much.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote