Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Special Ordering a New Jayco - question

I ordered a 2013 Eagle 328RLTS 2 weeks ago. I ordered it with the 50 Amp service with the second a/c prep in the front bedroom. I also opted for the 2nd air conditioner. After getting many different replies from various sources including my dealer, I was told that the 2nd unit was both ducted, nonducted, had a wall thermostat, had controls right on the unit, ect.. I really wanted it to be nonducted with its own separate wall thermostat, which my salesman told me that was how they were. After contacting Jayco myself, they inform me that the unit is nonducted with controls on the unit. I asked them if they could provide me a nonducted unit with a wall thermostat. I was told that the walls are vacuum bonded & it would not be possible. I told them I'd be willing to put the stat on an interior wall separating the bedroom & bathroom. My dealer told be that they would definitely not do that. I am waiting for one more reply from Jayco about this, but have the feeling that they aren't going to do this. I know I could do this myself, but I feel that when you drop $45000.00 on a unit that a company would be willing to do a little extra for you. I hope this wasn't a big mistake buying a Jayco & really hope this is not a sign of the type of service that is to come. Anyone else have any issues on a special request with them. I am sure that I could have gotten them to do it while I was negotiating but that is beside the point now! Also, I am not willing to back out of the deal over this! Any thoughts?
Jim328RLTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wouldn't be a big issue for me.
All my a/c units have had the control on the unit.
You get pretty good at setting the dial.
I am not sure how good the wall thermostat would work.

Not a biggy here. JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Kinda Disappointed In Jayco Already

I agree that they should be able to give you a clear answer, but getting custom install work done seems a somewhat high expectation for assembly line work. You can't order your Ford F150 with the passenger seat facing backwards, for example
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Kinda Disappointed In Jayco Already

I know you are disappointed, but it sounds like a dealer issue and not a Jayco issue since the dealer told you wrong. I can also understand Jayco's position because they are probably concerned about the amount of work that is involved and potential issues. Think of it this way - if you ordered a Corvette...you can go up to Bowling Green and do all kinds of neat things - but you can't ask them to move the headlight switch because you want it somewhere else....it is engineered a particular way and they stick with it because it works...

Having said all that - I really hope you like your Jayco as most of us do here. If you have any problems you are trying to solve, folks are more than willing to assist.

Let us know how it works out.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

I guess it's not that big of a deal after all that. Probably won't run it that much anyway. Only when it is scorching hot during the day & shut it off at night anyway. Thanks for helping me see the light!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Youre dissapointment should be for the dealer you chose to get your unit from...seems they dont have good information to relay to you....Just wonder if this is what you have to look forward to with this particular dealer........
I have a $30,000 motorcycle myself,as well as maybe 5,000 others on this particular forum I go on...seems most these guys also think cause they spent thirty grand on a bike they are entitled to be something special and parts places and dealerships and the manufacturers should bend over backwards for them...my question is ...why??? They sold a very nice product for a nice sum of cash...thats the trade off.......
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

We have a 2012 RLTS 330, and had our local dealer put in a second AC unit in our bedroom. It was ducted with its own wall thermostat. The thermostat was mounted on the interior wall between bedroom and bathroom. So I do not know why they told you it could not be done. I believe that it is already prepped for it. Hope this helps.
Camper1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #9

I apolagise for my remarks above,they were both unproductive and uninformative...if I knew how to delete them I would...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1967 View Post
We have a 2012 RLTS 330, and had our local dealer put in a second AC unit in our bedroom. It was ducted with its own wall thermostat. The thermostat was mounted on the interior wall between bedroom and bathroom. So I do not know why they told you it could not be done. I believe that it is already prepped for it. Hope this helps.
===========================================

We stopped by the plant last November and toured the 328RLTS. It's not available with a ducted A.C.. The 50 amp / A.C. prep does give your a reinforced square box area for the A.C. to be mounted by the dealer. If the original poster actually paid $45,000 for his trailer boy did he get ripped off!!!! Even with all the options available you should be paying $32,000 plus taxes, tags & transportation..... Shopping around will save a ton of money.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

I'm sorry but $45000 was msrp. I paid closer to $29000. However, I do appreciate your concern!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
===========================================

We stopped by the plant last November and toured the 328RLTS. It's not available with a ducted A.C.. The 50 amp / A.C. prep does give your a reinforced square box area for the A.C. to be mounted by the dealer. If the original poster actually paid $45,000 for his trailer boy did he get ripped off!!!! Even with all the options available you should be paying $32,000 plus taxes, tags & transportation..... Shopping around will save a ton of money.
Happy trails,
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #12

Hi Jim,
What dealer did you get that fantastic price from?
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #13

I just ordered an Eagle 324 BTS from the dealer with locations in Des Moines, Buffalo, Albany, Florida. The sales rep told me that it is significantly cheaper to factory install the second AC in the bedroom during original construction rather than just getting the factory prep for 2nd AC and 50 amp upgrade only, then have a dealer add it later ($500 versus $1500). Communication by me with Jayco directly via email prior to the purchase confirmed that the 2nd bedroom AC is direct vented, not ducted, with controls on the unit itself.

MSRP on my order was $45176 (including $695 transport fee), out the door sale price was $30,430.
sodakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Site Team

^^That would be the RVDirect group. Good prices for sure, we bought ours from them.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

We were told by Jayco (Judy at the office) that they do NOT install the 2nd Air Conditioner. That is a dealer option. They do install the reinforced roof and electrical with 50 Amp service at the factory very reasonable. I would pay the extra just to have the 50 Amp service. Wife keeps blowing the circuit breakers with her curling iron & hair dryer and electrical heater going.......
30 Amp Service = 3600 Watts total
50 Amp Service = 12,000 Watts total....
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #16

Installation of the 2nd AC is a factory option. I ordered my 324 BTS with the upgrade of the primary AC to 15K BTU as well as the addition of the 2nd AC in the bedroom (and with it the 50 amp service upgrade). Addition of the 2nd AC/50 amp upgrade is an option listed on Jayco's "Build & Price" tool on their website, and is an orderable option on the RVDirect website.

From an email exchange with Jayco dated 02/12/13:

Me: "...can one upgrade the primary AC to 15,000 BTU and still add a second 13,500 BTU AC?"

Jayco: "YES. In the Eagle Travel Trailer line, we have the 15K BTU AC option - as well as an option for 50 amp service. This option includes the 2nd AC prep in the bedroom. You can then choose to have the 2nd AC added as well...most dealers in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, California are getting them with the 2nd AC."
sodakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #17

I just picked up a Jayco Eagle 334RBTS I ordered a few months ago and it has a Jayco factory installed 2nd A/C over the front bedroom. I like all the A/C controls right where they are so nobody call the wambulance, please!
Swingrrr is offline   Reply With Quote