Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Speed rating ????

Is there such a thing as a speed rating on Maxxis load range C tires ???
The reason I am inquiring is is that this past weekend I had the tread peel off one my tires. Earlier in the day I will admit that we were making up for some lost time doing 75 mph for quite some time on I-80 in Iowa.
If there is indeed a speed rating will going to load range D tires handle a higher speed ???
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

St tires are rated at 65 all tires are required to have load/speed/PSI and other info on the side wall.
Speed chart
  • B - Up to 31 mph
  • C - Up to 37 mph
  • D - Up to 40 mph
  • E - Up to 43 mph
  • F - Up to 50 mph
  • G - Up to 56 mph
  • J - Up to 62 mph
  • K - Up to 68 mph
  • L - Up to 75 mph
  • M - Up to 81 mph
  • N - Up to 87 mph
  • P - Up to 94 mph
  • Q - Up to 100 mph
  • R - Up to 106 mph
  • S - Up to 112 mph
  • T - Up to 118 mph
  • U - Up to 124 mph
  • H - Up to 130 mph
  • V - Up to 149 mph
  • W - Up to 168 mph
  • Y - Up to 186 mph
  • Z - 149 mph and ov

2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Are they ST Tires? Do you know the Model and size?

I am not sure the load rating technically guarantees them at higher speeds, they are still like most ST tires maxed at 65MPH (speed rating J). If you were over that speed and near the tire load limits, not surprising they may have overheated and failed. Lower weight may or may not make a difference, but its probably definitely not guaranteed. This may be helpful?

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

Ao far the only actual ST tires I have run across that have a higher speed rating are these, The Carlstar Group, and its only some of them. I actually emailed carlise and they verified my size was rated at 87MPH (speed rating N).

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

I should note, I don't have these tires, it was just something I looked into. I am still running the original factory tires

ProPride 3P

Old 08-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

If you have a tire that has a higher weight rating carrying the same load as a lower weight rated tire, it should run a little lower temp than the tire closer to being maxed out. BUT..... That doesn't mean you can or should drive faster just because you are running a higher weight rated tire. It should only give you the peace of mind that if you end up gainging a little speed coming down the hill that your tires can handle the heat better, or if it is abnormally hot out that day that your tires aren't running close to max weight, so they should (in theory) run cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
I actually emailed carlise and they verified my size was rated at 87MPH (speed rating N).
I spoke w/ Carlisle this afternoon, mainly about the 15" RH Radials, which were indeed rated at 87mph, but due to our govt placing a tariff of 15" tires rated at 87mph they have been lowered to an 81mph speed rating. 16" are rated for 75mph, I think he said the 14" were 87mph but not sure if the rating was lowered like the 15" tires.

What tires do you have in your trailer, the Rainiers? If all goes as planned, I will get a set of Carlisles in the Spring. Going to step up to an e rated tire from the stock d as well, same 225/75/15 size though.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
If you have a tire that has a higher weight rating carrying the same load as a lower weight rated tire, it should run a little lower temp than the tire closer to being maxed out. BUT..... That doesn't mean you can or should drive faster just because you are running a higher weight rated tire. It should only give you the peace of mind that if you end up gainging a little speed coming down the hill that your tires can handle the heat better, or if it is abnormally hot out that day that your tires aren't running close to max weight, so they should (in theory) run cooler.

I spoke w/ Carlisle this afternoon, mainly about the 15" RH Radials, which were indeed rated at 87mph, but due to our govt placing a tariff of 15" tires rated at 87mph they have been lowered to an 81mph speed rating. 16" are rated for 75mph, I think he said the 14" were 87mph but not sure if the rating was lowered like the 15" tires.

What tires do you have in your trailer, the Rainiers? If all goes as planned, I will get a set of Carlisles in the Spring. Going to step up to an e rated tire from the stock d as well, same 225/75/15 size though.
Yes, Rainier ST 225/75/R15 are what I have. So far no problems, but there are probably under 1500 road miles on them. I have definitely been watching for posts about these tires. Were planning some longer trips this fall and next spring that should put them to the test.

Really too bad about the speed rating being lowered on the Carlisles, I wouldn't have been going 81 or 87MPH most likely, found mileage is much better under 65 and with this whole speed rating thing, why push it too hard. I would like to have a LITTLE buffer however. I am still dumbfounded that we don't have some tire makers making trailer tires in the US with higher speed ratings, even if they cost more, it seems there may be a market.

ProPride 3P

Old 08-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

OK, in the real world, We [I] occasionally drive at a higher speed than 65. With my TT I will typically cruise at or near 65 even on the interstate simply since that speed will produce the best mpg and who's in a hurry anyway. From time to time speed might rise to nearer to 70 on the open road in ideal flat conditions. Speed over 70 would be rare and limited to short burst when I get tired of following certain annoying traffic and speed up to put them 1/2 mile behind me.

I always make sure tires are inflated to max rated psi and are free of visible defects or wear before a longer trip.

Am I being naïve to not be obsessed with my travel speed using the above routine? Tires are OEM from Jayco.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
OK, in the real world, We [I] occasionally drive at a higher speed than 65. With my TT I will typically cruise at or near 65 even on the interstate simply since that speed will produce the best mpg and who's in a hurry anyway. From time to time speed might rise to nearer to 70 on the open road in ideal flat conditions. Speed over 70 would be rare and limited to short burst when I get tired of following certain annoying traffic and speed up to put them 1/2 mile behind me.

I always make sure tires are inflated to max rated psi and are free of visible defects or wear before a longer trip.

Am I being naïve to not be obsessed with my travel speed using the above routine? Tires are OEM from Jayco.
This is just my personal take on it after reading a lot of comments on the subject, there are tons of posts on here if you search regarding tire speeds. If your going over 65 and over the tires rating, there is a bit of risk involved, what risk I don't know. Liability could be a factor if something happened I suppose, same as if you had too much tongue weight or payload on a hitch. Any warranty on the tires is also probably gone from the manufacturer or dealer if they found out you were exceeding the manufacturers specs.

That being said, will they go faster, of course they probably will. We all see many people fly by with campers all the time at way above 70, not to even mention boats, cargo trailers, etc. I think the big problem with the failures is heat, the faster the tire, the more heat. If you are near your weight ratings, or the road is very hot already, your probably at a greater risk to have a problem because the heat will be that much more. I have seen a lot of people indicate that changing pressures in the tires will help get more speed but sacrifice weight, people that replace their tires every few seasons rarely have problems, going fast, etc. There is probably a lot that goes into it.

I too find myself near 70 occasionally for the same reasons you indicate but I try to stick right around 60-65 normally. When I first started towing the trailer, I had no idea of the 65MPH tire rating so I was doing 70 because thats the speed limit. I am sure I have several hundred miles on the tires I have over 65 because of this. Guessing many people towing trailers of all kinds are doing the exact same thing. Its not like the dealer advertises you shouldn't drive over 65 as a feature to sell you the TT :-)

ProPride 3P

Old 08-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

JSallman,

The way it was told to me, all Carlisle did due to the govt tarriff was change the speed rating as far as what is "speced", but did not change the composition of the tire in anyway. Just a red tape, "paper change" if that makes sense.

I heard a "rumor" that Carlisle is releasing a new tire in the Spring. Not a dramatic change from the RH, but an update "possibly" including lower rolling resistance, and a tread pattern update to name a couple things. Price point will be very similar as the current RH, with the same speed rating. I mentioned I was planning on getting a set of RH's in the Spring, and was told about the "rumor". Not sure if I will stay with the RH's or try the new tires when we get the 32 out of Winter storage.

I travel at similar speeds in regards to about 65ish mph, with the occasional slightly higher speed to navigate around someone.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote