Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

Spitting directv signal

we get directv inside on our 2018 MRB23. would like to get it on our outside tv also by splitting the signal. were would one suggest putting a splitter if anyone has done this?
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
we get directv inside on our 2018 MRB23. would like to get it on our outside tv also by splitting the signal. were would one suggest putting a splitter if anyone has done this?
You can't split the signal before the reciever in the traditional DTV set-up (i.e. non SWM) You can split it after the receiver but you are now always watching the same thing. The best, and easiest, but not cleanest, is to run a seprate coax line from your dish to your outside TV area. Most DTV dishes have multi outputs. Then either get a 2nd reciever, or make your inside one easy to move outside as needed.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Here's what you need in lieu of a regular splitter if you're using a 2nd receiver.

https://www.solidsignal.com/m/produc...SABEgK0nvD_BwE
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
You can't split the signal before the reciever in the traditional DTV set-up (i.e. non SWM) You can split it after the receiver but you are now always watching the same thing. The best, and easiest, but not cleanest, is to run a seprate coax line from your dish to your outside TV area. Most DTV dishes have multi outputs. Then either get a 2nd reciever, or make your inside one easy to move outside as needed.
running it straight from the other output of dish directly to tv, does not work. where would split it at coming off the reciever and i also have the loop coax on my trailer
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
running it straight from the other output of dish directly to tv, does not work. where would split it at coming off the reciever and i also have the loop coax on my trailer
You need a receiver and then it should work. No TV will work with a direct line from the dish to the TV without a receiver to process the signal.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
You need a receiver and then it should work. No TV will work with a direct line from the dish to the TV without a receiver to process the signal.
Yes, I realize that. Im trying to split the signal from one tv (inside) with a tv located outside.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Smurf,

With my Eagle 330RSTS TT, I use a tripod Slimline setup with SWM.

I have my DirecTV signal split just inside the docking station where the coax connects to the trailer. I simply removed the coax lines from the back of the docking station (Sat1 and Sat2/Aux) that fed both the living room and bedroom/outside connections and connected them to a 2 way DirecTV "green label" splitter ensuring that the coax running to the living room was connected to the "red" power passing port on the DirecTV splitter because that is where my power inserter is located.

Then just added a short piece of coax from the single end port on the splitter back to one of the Sat connections on the docking station. Done!

This works well when we are just taking short trips for a weekend or so but I soon tired of connecting/disconnecting the coax each time I wanted to move the bedroom TV outside and back. So I also added a second, 2 way "green label" splitter behind the living room TV and connected my wireless video bridge and HR44 Genie DVR back there.

I then added 2 Kebloc mounts, 1 in the bedroom and one on the wall outside just above the power and coax connections. Then using a wireless C41W mini that is velcroid to the back of my bedroom TV, I can now move the bedroom TV back and forth between the bedroom and outside without worrying about coax connections in either spot. Works great!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

We use a splitter like the link Grumpy posted.

From the dish, to the splitter, then to TWO receivers and two TV's.

With the dome-dish, that has to move when you change channels, it's a problem if you want to watch two channels on separate satellites.

We upgraded to the full HD fold-down dish, so we won't have that problem anymore. The signal is SO much better now!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote