Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Spontaneous water leak. Lesson learned!

We're gone camping for the week 300 miles from home and I'm outside tending the fire for the upcoming S'mores party and my wife starts yelling " we got a problem!" repeatedly. I race inside to find water dripping out of the air vent below the converter at a pretty rapid pace. I shut off the water at the spigot and open the faucet to relieve pressure before I pull out the kitchen drawer. What I eventually discovered was the outdoor shower plumbing leaking. Luckily, it turned out to just be a loose fitting on the hot water side and I was able to tighten it with a wrench and move on with the trip. I wasn't very impressed with quality control again though. This unit has less than 20 nights camping on it and I can't believe it left the factory so loose. ( I could turn it bare handed). Not tho mention, the plumbing is directly above a ton of wiring (some of the sloppiest wiring I've ever seen). From now on we're going to shut down the water whenever we leave. I would have hated to come back after a full day of that thing leaking.

PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Actually, that wiring looks pretty good, compared to what I saw on my Keystone Outback. That unit looked like a bowl of spaghetti!!

Sorry to hear about your leak, though. One thing you will discover is that fittings loosen from time to time. I don't know where I saw this in print, but it was stated that your TT bouncing down the highway is akin to your house enduring a magnitude 3.0 earthquake - every time you tow. While TTs are built with that in mind, when you consider the number of electrical and plumbing connections, it's a wonder there aren't more issues. If it doesn't leak when it leaves the factory or when your dealer preps it, they can't see anything wrong. But I know that's hard to swallow when you're the one with wet carpeting!!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

I have had fitting work their way loose also. I am making sure from now on I check all the fittings a couple times a year. 5 minutes of work can prevent a major headache.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
I have had fitting work their way loose also. I am making sure from now on I check all the fittings a couple times a year. 5 minutes of work can prevent a major headache.
Part of my de-winterization procedure every year. I always check all fittings after they have sat all winter with anti-freeze in the lines, fittings, and faucets. Several times I've found drips and tightened up fittings.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

So based on this picture of the back of the outdoor shower box it was one of those "spin" fittings and not one of the metal bands?
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
The hot side is prone to loosen do to the expansion and contraction as it heats up and cools down.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

That's correct.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote