Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Squeaky tow silenced!

Just wanted to share a piece of my own experience with you guys... My 2014 Swift was quite noisy while towing - it squeaked and creaked like crazy while crawling through campsites, etc. I took a can of Krown rust inhibiting multi-purpose lubricant and gave the leaf springs and pivots a quick spray and also put a bit on my weight distribution bar pivots... Silence! It worked great. Give it a try if you find yourself with the same problems.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #2

Thanks for the heads up.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

I have a friend who has the same clanging noises when arriving and leaving the campground. I told him about your solution and his comment is as follows. I don't know what to believe-thoughts anyone? ---- Thanks for the heads up. Here is the thing. The Equal-I-zer brand we have is supposed to make noise, the more the better. The noise is generated from the sway control. The more noise it makes the better you know it’s working. This guy may have a different brand hitch. If he does have the same kind we have he just killed his sway control with the lubricant. Equil-I-zer sells Teflon plates to reduce the noise if the customer wants it, but it does not bother me. That loud noise give me piece of mind!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

I use an Equal-I-zer brand hitch. I found to quiet the hitch I did two things. First I lubricated the ball (bearing grease), this made a huge difference. Then after watching a video (Quality Construction) on their website, which in more detail showed where to lubricate the trunnion bar pivot points (the manual is not completely clear). I used 600 wt gear lube, at the beginning of our 3500 mile trip. For the first 1500 miles we had absolutely no hitch noise.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

My WD hitch does not control sway. I don't need it with a shorter double axle trailer and a longer wheelbase truck. All I mentioned was lubing the leaf springs and weight bar pivots, which it says to do anyways. I would be embarrassed as hell rolling through a campground with a nice rig squeaking and creaking away!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

what ever works for you. Personally I have never worried about trailer tow squeaks and moans when entering or leaving a campground. Have always considered it part of the deal. After all, its not like you drive around 25 times before setting up. the only thing that gets me is when someone has a "back-up" beeper on their TV. Like finger nails on a black board. Don,t see any problem with lubing appropriate joints, but certainly wouldn't stop at the last rest area before arriving just so I could lub up the rig.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

I also experienced a lot of squeaks and cracks when driving through the campgrounds and making turns. I greased the pivot points of my WD as well and all squeaks were gone! This is not to be confused with greasing your friction sway control, which would obviously completely stop it from doing its job!