Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
GMC

Stabilizer problems

The factory stabilizer jacks on my 154BH are all jacked up. The way they are on there, I'm wondering if they are replacements. (We bought used) Anyway there are bolts missing and the jacks themselves are slightly bent, so I'm thinking of replacing them. The ones that are on there now are stab jacks (I think, link below to something similar to what I have now). I'm thinking of buying a couple of scissor jacks and installing them using save-a-jack mounts. If those work out ok I'll buy another set with mounts for the front. Any thoughts? Are the scissor jacks going to be more stable or less, the same? Any brand scissor jacks to look for or stay away from? Thanks on advance for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23025-Stab.../dp/B000GGMSQM
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I am sure they will be the same as far as stability
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

The link looks much like what came on my 17C. Keep us informed, I've thought of adding a set up front, just for the grands (little jumping beans.)
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My BIL had a 2006 Jayco 23B that had the same type of stabilizers you referenced in the link. His worked "ok" but he did over time bend the two rear rear ones, he replaced them with the conventional scissor jacks, big difference. He found that the rear expandable double bed was more stable (especially when occupied) with the scissors jacks.

The 23B of course is a heavier and longer HTT then the 154BH TT, so the change my not be as noticeable as what my BIL experienced.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
GMC

Finally got the save-a-jack mounts and scissor jacks in and installed. The mounts went on easily and quickly (I had help from my father in law) and they only hang down 3/4 in. so clearance is not an issue. Two of the scissor jacks had to be modified slightly to fit under my trailer but all in all I'm satisfied so far. As far as stability goes, it is a lot better than it was, but with the others being broken its hard to compare. I highly recommend the save a jacks for putting an additional set on the front.
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote