Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Site Team

Stabilizers and Leveling Scissor Jacks

Our EAGLE 284BHS came with electric stabilizers front and rear, as many of the JAYCO TT's do. From the start I thought they were useless and on the next TT, they will not be ordered. I purchased (4) 2.5 ton Leveling Scissor Jacks (Harbor Freight #96406), and that solved the problem. I level the TT with the scissor jacks and then put out the stabilizers to help a little more.

This morning, after a week of 6+ inches of rain I figured it was time to re-level the TT, as the bathroom door was swinging open. I hit the button on the rear stabilizer and raised it about 4". I go the front, hit the switch there NOTHING.

OK, this is the stabilizer that did not work about 6 years ago. It was a defective switch, JAYCO sent me a replacement at no charge. Pulled the switch off the side, pulled out the multimeter, ahhh 13.4VDC at the switch female socket, which is GREAT! Tested the switch to see if it was working properly by using the ohm's setting. The switch is working fine. Plugged the multimeter into the 2 switch (motor) sockets and got a resistance, ok maybe that is the motor's resistance. Bypassed the switch with 2 shorting plugs, and NOTHING.

We leveled the TT on the scissor jacks and extended the rear electric stabilizer. That is done. I extended the front stabilizer manually, then bypassed the switch with the shorting plugs in hopes that the motor contacts may have been corroded, No luck. I will be tracing the motor wires to see if any critter had lunch over the winter, but I doubt it. I will remove the motor and test it on 12 volts to see if it works.

I see the purchase of a new motor in the future, maybe I will take the motor in to have it rebuilt. I have done this in the past with a lot of success at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

The point I want to make here is that the factory electric stabilizers are useless compared to the scissor jacks.

Maintenance…. Maintenance…. Maintenance….

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - 2.5 ton Leveling Scissor Jack.jpg   MISC - Front Stabilizing Switch Socket.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

I'm not overly impressed with the ones I have either, but mine are only a yr old.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

The scissor jacks and electric drill w/socket are a great combination, quick, easy and cheap.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Hello, just wondering if there is a structural/stability difference between the scissor jack and this style? https://www.amazon.ca/BAL-23225-25-J.../dp/B002P2YTIA

For reference, I have a 174BH and am adding two of those linked above to the front of the trailer as there only two on the rear.

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to be part of this community - so much valuable advice here!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote