Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Starter kit list

Just got a 174bh, first time rv owner. Moving up from tent camping. What is a good list of things I need for my first trip. Where is a good place to buy.
viennafire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

Have you picked up the new TT yet? Usually the dealer will toss in a few things, like a cheap sewer hose, water hose, maybe a starter amount of black tank treatment, maybe even a 15 amp to 30 amp outlet adapter. With these few things you can get by.

#1 item you need is a notebook and pencil, to write down any notes.

The real question is what type of camping do you think you want to do? Do you like to boondock (no hookups), electric only RV campsites, full hookups.

If you like full hookup sites, then you really need a sewer hose upgrade. Recommend at some point a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter (30 amp outlets get used a lot, and sometimes they get abused).

Water hose, I carry two hoses, a 25' hose that I rarely use, and a 10' hose that I primarily use to fill the FW tank. If you want to stay at full hookup sites, you might want a second 25' hose. If you have a black tank flush, get a black garden hose. Only to use with the black tank.

Water Pressure regulator. Some CGs have crazy high water pressure, and it can cause issues with the cheap pex pipe clamps that are used in RVs.

Water filter, nice option. You can buy a cheap Campco blue inline filter. Many people go to their favorite DIY store and buy a small whole hose unit and add hose thread adapters. This allows you to dry it between trips, and you can pick out what filter cartridges you like.

EMS: Nice option. It will protect your TT from power spikes, low or high voltage, lighting strikes and so forth. This is more than a surge protector. They are expensive, but will protect all your electronics in your RV.

You do want something for leveling the TT, first from side to side, then front to back. I use wood blocks, some like "legos", others like Anderson Leveling shims. Do not use the front tongue wheel. Wheel chalks; chalk both the front and back of your wheels, you do not want the TT to roll on you. If you have dual wheels something like X-Chalks are nice to help reduce the TT from shaking so much as people are moving around.

General items; we keep our TT stocked with pots, pans, utensils, etc. We took misc stuff from the house and just leave it in there year round. Same with bedding, pillows, jackets, boots, etc. Basically when we want to go, all we have to do toss in our cloths and food.

We are old tenters too, so we use an old two burner camp stove and small grill outside for most of our cooking needs. We now use an 11 lbs propane tank for those items. We have a couple small dish pans that fit in our sink wells for washing dishes outside.

Make sure you have any tools to change a tire. Your TV jack and lug nut wrench may not work. I carry a small bottle jack, and an 18" breaker bar with 3 sockets, which fit all my vehicles and trailers.

If you can, camp at home in the driveway, to see how all the systems work. Then find a CG not far from home. Write down any learning, and if needed, there usually is a Walmart nearby to pickup anything you forgot.

Where to buy? Amazon, Walmart are two good spots. Usually the dealer is expensive.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! Congratulations on the 174BH!

There's quite a few things you'll NEED, and some you'll WANT to make life easier. Here's some essentials off the top of my head.

Wheel chocks. (4)
Two 25' fresh water hoses (drinking water safe).
25' 30 amp extension cord.
An EMS. Pricey, but can save the electrics in the camper.
A good water pressure regulator.
Blue (external style) water filter.
Two sewer hoses with fittings (10' and 15')
A rubber sewer ring
Toilet paper, black tank chemical
A square head (Robertson) screwdriver in a good tool kit.
Disposable rubber gloves
Electric cord adapters (50M to 30F, 15M to 30F)
Lynx Levelers, or similar for side to side leveling.

There's a ton more to add, but these are important.

EDIT: Jagiven types faster than I do!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, know alot of things I will need.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #5

Extra fuses

Clothes line.
https://www.amazon.com/EverSport-Clo...8f897a_p_5_t_p

Small tool kit.

4G Camp Pro 2 plus with a Visible account on the party plan.
(Not mandatory)
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #6

Got a chevrolet silverado 1500, any idea if towing mirrors will help and which ones are good.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by viennafire21 View Post
Got a chevrolet silverado 1500, any idea if towing mirrors will help and which ones are good.
If you can't see the sides of your trailer with the stock mirrors you have choices.

There are extended replacement mirrors or clamp on mirrors you can buy.
If you do a search here there are threads about mirrors.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ors-75284.html
Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #8

I think folks have covered the basic mandatory stuff. I'll list the nice to do stuff
1. Wheel chocks. Single wheel trailers rock more than tandems. The drive on/leveling chock and a BAL one wheel chock help a bunch.

2. Front stabilizers. It's my understanding that only the baja model came with front stabilizers. Did I mention these trailers rock around?

3. Entry step stabilizers. Even with chocks and front stabilizers the thing ticks when you enter the door. Step stabilizers solved that.

4. A tube of clear caulk. I experienced it and have read several complaints about the front window leaking. It is caulked poorly as is the bathroom. Recaulk everything.

5. Boxes of Command hooks. There's not much storage so organization is key. These things come in handy. I also used the same brand bath trays to hold soap and shampoo. Dont leave anything heavy on them when you travel. It will tear the wall paper off.

I also added a exterior quick connect propane valve and larger exhaust fans for the fridge.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #9

You don't say what year Silverado 1500. I have a 2014 and went with these mirrors.

In a perfect world, I would have replaced my stock mirrors with these. My problem is that I would need the power folding ones to fit in the garage and those are a lot pricier.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Scott;886471]You don't say what year Silverado 1500. I have a 2014 and went with these mirrors.

I have the same set for my '08 Sierra. Excellent tow mirrors and they don't break the bank.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #11

[QUOTE=DocBrown;886482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
You don't say what year Silverado 1500. I have a 2014 and went with these mirrors.

I have the same set for my '08 Sierra. Excellent tow mirrors and they don't break the bank.
GM does a body style change on their vehicles every 5 years or so. My point was that the mirrors I used for my 14 might not fit a 20 as the mirror style might have changed. The link I included was specific to my model year. The company makes a mirror that fits other mirror styles. The OP should just make sure they fit his model year truck.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #12

I have a 2018 chevrolet