Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

Stationary camper

I've got my 34RSBS parked as I am living in it full time while working on a nuclear power plant in Georgia. My black water holding tank is giving me fictitious readings. I drained it yesterday when I saw three dots. (Got not much more than a trickle.) Afterwards I checked and saw four dots. I do have the flush system and use it every time I drain. Can anyone shed some light on how to either clean the sensors on a stationary set-up or replacing the sensors. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Uncle Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Usually the issue a bit of tissue. Sometimes particles get caught on the sensors and show a false reading. Do you have a black tank flush system on your unit? Usually they are pretty good at cleaning "particles" off of the sensors. A "wand" flusher that you stick down the commode hole works pretty good as well.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Misleading or wrong black tank sensors?

Welcome to the wonderful world of operating an RV.

There are float-type sensors that will give you a much more accurate reading, until a piece of tp sticks to it....

I've found that generally keeping tabs on usage is good enough. Dump before you know it is full.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Common problem with all rv's.

I always add water after I dump the tank, add soapy water from the dishpan to the toilet also, have tried all kinds of things. Also use black tank flush regularly.

Still the gauges tend to misread from time to time on both of my trailers.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just go by sound and you know when it is full. Or look down the hole when it is past the floor you have to dump it. No dumping station near, be sure you have a portable tank ready.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Site Team

How do you dump the tanks when stationary?

SeeLevel sensors are very pricy but get good reviews. Most every rv'er has to deal with this problem whether stationary or in motion.

http://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/7_seelevel.php
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

I find that the Grey tank fills faster. From showers and doing dishes.
I just dump both when the Grey gets close to full.

Also, try holding the button for a bit longer.
Seems like the false reading will clear after 5 seconds or so. Sometimes.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #8

What everyone else said... Dirty sensors are a common problem.

I'd add that by adding a clear, short extension in your sewer system you can see what is being flushed out of your black tank. You may need to flush longer than you are. Even so, you may not (if ever) get the sensors clean enough to work as well as you'd like.

If you have a straight view down into the tank, shutting off the water and holding the toilet dump valve open will let you see down into the tank... shut off all exhaust fans first! .

If you haven't been, you also need to add water to the black tank after you dump to be sure 'stuff' is not building a 'tower of terror' on the bottom of your tank.

This summer we stayed in one place for 3 months as campground hosts. That was a first for us. We had to do two things differently because of staying on one spot:
1). Run the black tank flush longer (several times for ~30 seconds or so) than we did when we were traveling frequently.
2). For #1s, DW put her toilet paper in a trash bag. I don't know if this is necessary, but she was willing and it seemed to help.

Even with the above, our sensors don't read like new, but I know we are not building up residue in the tank that will be difficult to remove.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Common issue. First after dumping add lots of water back into the tank.

Next to see how full the black tank is, flush and look down the hole

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

I've been pretty lucky in that my BWT sensor has been accurate so far. After dumping, I always add a BWT tank agent and put at least 3 to 4 full toilet bowls of water down there. Against Jayco's recommendation, after dumping, I'll also run the flush with the valve closed for a few minutes partially filling the tank, then dump. I repeat this a few times.
I also never dump a partially full tank. I always wait until its full. I'll top it off by running the toilet if necessary if I want to dump.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne View Post
I've got my 34RSBS parked as I am living in it full time while working on a nuclear power plant in Georgia. My black water holding tank is giving me fictitious readings. I drained it yesterday when I saw three dots. (Got not much more than a trickle.) Afterwards I checked and saw four dots. I do have the flush system and use it every time I drain. Can anyone shed some light on how to either clean the sensors on a stationary set-up or replacing the sensors. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Are you sure you don't have a clog? If you open the valve and just get a trickle you could have a blockage.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I've been pretty lucky in that my BWT sensor has been accurate so far. After dumping, I always add a BWT tank agent and put at least 3 to 4 full toilet bowls of water down there. Against Jayco's recommendation, after dumping, I'll also run the flush with the valve closed for a few minutes partially filling the tank, then dump. I repeat this a few times.
I also never dump a partially full tank. I always wait until its full. I'll top it off by running the toilet if necessary if I want to dump.
I do the same thing! Seems to keep BWT clean and have not had any issues so far.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
We do the same thing ... just minus the BWT tank agent. Except for our BWT sensors, those steps have worked well for us.

We do dump some gray water into the toilet from time to time when washing large pots, but maybe that's not enough. Next season I'll start using a BWT agent and see how that works for us.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
Also, try holding the button for a bit longer.
Seems like the false reading will clear after 5 seconds or so. Sometimes.
Holding the button has worked for us as well. Also, get a 5 gallon bucket and put around 4 gallons in it and dump it straight down the toilet with the valve open of course. Sometimes the splashing will clean the sensors.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
Usually the issue a bit of tissue. Sometimes particles get caught on the sensors and show a false reading. Do you have a black tank flush system on your unit? Usually they are pretty good at cleaning "particles" off of the sensors. A "wand" flusher that you stick down the commode hole works pretty good as well.
X2

Ours would read 2/3 full all the time unless it was reading full. We have the black tank flush and would flush with the black valve closed to let it get a good amount of water in it. We always had one of us inside keeping an eye on level and the other at the faucet handle to turn the water off quickly. After doing the flush 3 or 4 times it still read 2/3's full. So, we bought a wand from Wally world and used it once. The tank read empty! Voila. So now we skip the black tank flush and go right for the wand. FWIW, we carry a green garden hose for this chore so we don't contaminate our fresh water hose.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote