Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #1

Stereo Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade the stereo in our 2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS. Y'all know the factory ones are akin to car stereos in the 70's. We don't listen to music that much but mostly because the sound is so bad.

Unfortunately I'm not very technically inclined. I've seen guys convert a car stereo to their RV but that's not something I'm able to do. Looking for a plug and play replacement. Any recommendations?
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:34 PM   #2

Because your TT stereo is 12v (probably) and car stereos are 12v (mostly), then as long as you choose a unit that fits your existing location, it will probably be an easy plug-and-play installation.

When you take your existing stereo out of your TT, take it with you when shopping to make sure the connections are the same. If not, a knowledgeable salesperson (probably under 20 years old) should be able to help you with what you need to install the new unit.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #3

My Jensen radio quit working and I bought a cheap car stereo and wired it in. It doesn't have inside/outside settings, but the front/rear settings on the car stereo do the same thing. Sounded pretty good too, for a $25 unit.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:42 PM   #4

The hdmi switching and the outdoor speakers and the remote and bluetooth ability are just a few reasons I would not go in search of a complete replacement; I am actually only upgrading speakers and placing a better amplifier in between speakers and radio. So, treating the radio as a component in a modular system.
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

Car stereos would work but they are beyond my electrical skills when it comes to splicing into wires to connect it properly so I can still have inside and/or outside sound. This is easy work for some but not so much for others.

I like the idea of adding an amp. That would make replacing the speakers worth while.

Also the idea of taking the unit into a shop so I can get the right adapters is a good idea.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote