Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #1

Still like new

We are closing in on two full, very satisfied years with our 264BHW. Since we won't have it out until after the anniversary this seems like a good time to report in. We have logged nearly 6,000 miles with our mobile domicile, with trips to St Louis and the Grand Canyon and a few shorter ones to see family. When we clean out and spiff up after an excursion, the TT still looks and smells new. Everything is in working order with no noticeable declines. I've only replaced the battery, porch light bulb, and one hatch lock from original equipment. There is quite a bit of mildew on the awning which I'll clean best I can in the spring. So far, I've managed to keep exterior mostly steak free using elbow grease and dollar store cleaner a couple times a year. One exterior hatch door drags a bit on one corner when opening. My tank meters register empty after thorough rinsing. Tires still are full and look good. All interior fabrics and padding still are sharp. That's a good summary for now, I'll be glad to answer queries.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #2

It's all good, but reading it made me feel a little guilty about my exterior maintenance. I'll need to refill my elbow grease and get busy on it when the weather warms up.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #3

I'm approaching 30K on my next trip and it still looks and performs like new. And not like oldmanAZ I don't have any streaks ��. AZ, you let yourself open for that one
Tunce
Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
best way to clean the mildew on the awning ..... put some bleach in a spray bottle, remove the shirt you are wearing and replace with an old one you have no desire to keep ( just in case), spray the entire awning, and close back up, spray the side of the RV just incase there were any drips, go in the house, turn on the DVD player, watch a movie, than when the movie is done, go back out, open her up, spray her down ..... depending on how bad the mold is, u may have to scrub a bit! She should be clean
Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

I believe bleach might damage the fabric. Check the owner's manuals for the trailer and the awning. Try using Dawn instead.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I believe bleach might damage the fabric. Check the owner's manuals for the trailer and the awning. Try using Dawn instead.
I was worried about too stong of a bleach solution, so used info gathered/borrowed/adapted from this forum and made a dilute bleach solution...
1gal water with 1oz bleach and 1oz car wash
Opened awning, hosed awning thoroughly to rinse off any loose dirt
Sprayed on solution, closed awning , waited 15min
Opened awning, brushed gently* = dirt, mildew, whatever gone!
Rinsed thoroughly
Dried thoroughly
Awning closed for the season

(* Note: Some type of physical contact with the stains required. Just rinsing off the solution didn't remove the stains.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Thanks for posting. We typically only see problems on the forums so some people looking to buy a Jayco may think they are riddled with issues. The reality is that most people have the same experience you do, but seldom report it.

thanks!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

As I have mentioned before, are now nearly six year old beagle is really better than new when one takes into account my modifications. Now I am thinking we may have to sell it and get a smaller one because the land we purchased to build on is not very amenable to hauling a big trailer up to the top on. So there is a very good unit about to go on the market for some lucky buyer.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
As I have mentioned before, are now nearly six year old beagle is really better than new when one takes into account my modifications. Now I am thinking we may have to sell it and get a smaller one because the land we purchased to build on is not very amenable to hauling a big trailer up to the top on. So there is a very good unit about to go on the market for some lucky buyer.
What do you think you will look at?

As far as cleaning the awning, I have used the diluted bleach solution as well and have had good results. For stubborn stains, a magic eraser works really well too.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Got a tricked out 2014 24FBS Elite I am selling so we can move into a small 5er this year. Interested?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #11

I bought a 2015 model 264bhw in December. Have been modding it to suit us. It was in new condition. The guy bought it, kept it in an enclosed building and never used it. Still smells new. Good to hear they hold up well. Excited about getting out on our first adventure in the new to us TT.