Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Still Thinking on Getting Another Trailer

I am looking for some thoughts from folks here. I am doing my homework on getting another travel trailer.

So I got the truck last year (2013) and got the Jayco travel trailer; got everything all set up right and safe. Took a bunch of short trips (under 400 miles) last summer (2013) .

The only way my wife is going camping is if she goes in a trailer, and I really enjoyed the trips last year, and we are planning more for the coming year. I have done quite a bit of reading, and would welcome opinions on some of the stuff I have read. There are lots of comments and opinions regarding the quality of the various brands of travel trailer.

One of the comments I have come across numerous times is that a "stick and tin" travel trailer will not last. Now, that is exactly the Jayco Jayflight construction I am interested in. So:

(1) Why do I see so many comments that a "stick and tin" trailer won't last? This kind of says to me that my 1995 Jayco should fall apart any minute - but, it doesn't seem that way when I am using it, and I can't see why it would. Is it going to fall apart any second? Why? How would I know? I would think I would have noticed something by now. What am I missing?

(2) I will be using the TT to camp in with the family; would like to take some long trips to the west. How would a "stick and tin" trailer not work to accomplish that? I will not be using the TT full time - due to kids being in school, the TT will only be used around 80 days at the very most per year (that is what I would like to see - I'd be very happy if the wife and kids would put 60 days in a year). What is it about a "stick and tin" trailer that will cause it to fall apart with that kind of use? I don't get it.

(3) Isn't there any way to take care of a "stick and tin" TT so that it will last?

Thanks much!!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

A stick and tin trailer will last just as well as another other construction methods as long as it is taken care of. Water is the enemy of any TT, regardless of construction method, so taking care to maintance the caulking and other seals is very importnat. Outside of sidewalls everything else is essentailly the same beteen between the construction methods.

Personally I don't see why so many folks prefer Fiberglass siding. I personally prefer Stick and Tin. We just changed TT and seriously considered a new Fiberglass TT becasue it seemed like the right thing to do. But when DW and I really got down to it, we realized we just perfer the textured exterior look of Alum, and were luck enough to find a '12 used TT in exactly the layout and options we wanted.

Folks always say its harder to clean -- I don't think so, I wash regually and hand wax twice a year, takes time but not hard. In contrast we also had a 32" Sailboat, obviously it was gelcoat fiberglass. In comparison to my TT, the boat was much harder to wax and keep looking nice. Start looking at 3-5 year old fiberglass...much more often do they look oxidized with decal fade and peeling.

I would NOT worry one bit about stick and tin --- just take care of it and it will take of you.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Team

I`m guessing you are seeing those comments on "some other forum" about stick and tin trailers not lasting, because I have not seen many here, unless I missed some. There are some very old trailers still in service that are aluminum over wood and some of them look very good at that. As Clubhouse said, with any RV water intrusion is the number one enemy, no matter stick and tin or glass on aluminum frame. With proper care, the stick and tin trailer will last as long as you want it to, IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

Both have advantages and disadvantages
Do a quick google search to ehow and you will see what I am talking about
I have had both and while this Jayco is new I like the Stick and Tin much better.
You can find people that will argue both sides and think they are right.
Bottom line--both are great so get what you want

GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

My stick and tin 1990 Jayco speaks well to the durability IMHO. Good luck with your search.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

I all comes down to your personal preference. I went with the Whitehawk but had looked at the Jay Flights as well. For me the deciding factor was that the Whitehawk weighed less which was a big deal for me. Aluminum vs Fibreglass they are both well made and if you keep your TT maintained you should have no issues with water intrusion. I would have no issues buying a "stick and tin". Good luck with your search.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

greenenvy1 - kind of hard to argue with still using a 1990!

I think the conclusion is that care is as important as original construction.

It also appears to me that the appliances are the same in good quality manufacturers, as is the axles/suspension (even easier - Dexter).
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #8

Hi, As many others have mentioned there is nothing wrong with stick n tin construction. That type of construction has been around for many years and are capable of extensive traveling. Just keep water intrusion out and your trailer should last as long as you want it to. On the flip side if you did have a repair to make it is less costly with a stick n tin trailer . And you don't have to worry about delamination.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #9

While our trailer is fiberglass I still prefer the metal siding. You will never get bubbles in the metal siding.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

One of the comments I have come across numerous times is that a "stick and tin" travel trailer will not last. Now, that is exactly the Jayco Jayflight construction I am interested in. So:

We have a 2015 SLX, which we have had 18 camping nights in, logging over 2,000 miles, and setting up at six locations. Trailer still looks, smells, behaves like new. So we're really happy. That being said, I'd love to be able to report, like the person with the 1990, that it's still going strong in 25 years!

My question is,: Just what sort of water intrusion is most likely, so I should be most vigilant about? (From roof, from bottom, from sides?)
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk2765 View Post

My question is,: Just what sort of water intrusion is most likely, so I should be most vigilant about? (From roof, from bottom, from sides?)
Any place you see caulk in particular:

Windows, vent, clearance lights, roof , mouldings.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

The best preventative maintenance is to have a leak test conducted every year. Stick and tin uses more fasteners, has more points open to water, and its wooden construction is not happy when water is introduced. A leak test is cheap insurance, IMO.

I was going to get a 34RSTS JayHawk so I have no problems with stick and tin. I just liked the Eagle floor plan better.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

I agree that preventative maintenance is the key to reducing problems and extending the life of the trailer, but I think that also means taking on some responsibility for it yourself, which means up-skilling yourself and research this stuff carefully as you are doing to assess their quality and potential for problems.

About 16,000 lbs more or less gets you into full-time quality unit. Quality is heavy, IMAO.

I worked at an RV rental repair dealership for about 3 months. We had entry level quality motorhomes, mostly gas C's and some gas A's. I got them road ready after a rental and I would average about 4 a day. We had, for example, these pressed wood doors, which we were constantly repairing, and coming up with creative fixit solutions. We called them junk (c..p), but others would love them I'm sure. But I'm guessing that each rental basically was used about as much in one year as others might use them in about eight years, so we saw them under extreme usage conditions. Some people were kind and some kicked the crap out of them.

So, you could say I'm very sensitive to quality vs need for repairs vs on the road time, and whine time waiting in line at dealerships...er wine???

By the way, I'm retired and my goal was to get hands on experience, buy the right tools, and see how things work, and then I got out of there.

Loved my air compressor for all kinds of get it back on the road stuff. The goal was to fix it just good enough to get it out the door. The magical air compressor tools.

As you might guess, even though I'm very good at fixing entry level, I'm not likely to buy an entry level RV/tt/5th, and I'm very likely to buy a premium used dp this year, but yes a seneca and a 5th/truck have not disappeared from my mind. Wife's input is critical.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

There are lots of internet training videos on how to look outside and inside for water problems.

At one consignment lot, I could see evidence of water intrusion under a window, the salesman said he knew all about water intrusion and said it was not water intrusion. So, I asked him if he would put in writing that he guaranteed there was no water intrusion anywhere and would pay to fix it if so, and he walked away kind of muffed up. I went and told him off about his bs claims to be an expert. Love a good tell off.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote