Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #41

Hi,
We have a 2015 27RLS and you are correct. Without extra stabilization we get a lot of rocking.
We purchased two Universal RV Stabilizers (around $40.00 at CW), and with the 4 corner scissor jacks and two bracing jack stands we have minimal movement. We also have braces under our slide-out when we're staying for a while.

It's helpful to also brace under the bottom step.
Just don't try to lift the RV with the Universal stabilizer. They're not designed for that. I just snug them to the rear bumper and in front of the tires on my slide-out side.
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #42

You're right, Noah! The pair that I bought works exactly the same way. You get your trailer.all level and balanced, then position these up against the frame and tighten the ratchets to firm them up. They don't really support any of the trailer weight. They just snug up to the frame and reduce side to side movement of the trailer.
Rdubya44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #43

I bought a pair of Libra rv stabilizer leveling jacks for $57.00 on Amazon. I place them behind the rear wheel, one on each side, and contact the frame. They not only make the trailer much more stable but I also use them to level it from side to side. I have Lippert electric stabilizers that came with the trailer. They are convienent but do not work real well. Buy a pair and you will eliminate a lot of movement.
Otisthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #44

I have the X chocks for the tires and just last week added 4 sizzler jacks to the frame of my 34 foot 5th wheel trailer.

Have not been out with it yet to see how it improves the walk around.
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #45

2017 291RSTS, I use the home made levelers with the ratchet strap, fast easy, stop movement.
You can support it with lots of blocks, but Most effective stabilizers need to have a bit of an angle, think triangle, old bridges have lots of triangles to stop movement.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #46

I've been RVing about 2.5 yrs with our '17 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS, which is about 33' long and we have lived with our FW shaking since day one. Initially, we used rubber chocks, but eventually transitioned to x-chocks within the first year. We thought about getting a king pin tripod stabilizer, but all of our friends who had these devices said there effectiveness to stabilize the trailer shake was minimal. We looked at JT Strongarms and our friends had very positive feedback. Unfortunately, our rig's sparetire is situated near the front underside which would interfere with the installation of the JT Strongarms. We subsequently saw a You Tube video () which I later implemented on my trailer using 2 x 8's construction. Surprisingly, this method eliminated 98% of our trailer shake. Admittedly, it looks a little DIY in appearance, but a spray can of paint of neutral color will make it more aesthetically pleasing. Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #47

Some more info on the DIY stabilizers. I painted ours black, and they virtually disappear. However, they became a tripping hazard, especially at night. The workaround we came up with was to put notched feet under the bottom. We put the top of the 2x4 against the I-beam and then put the bottom into the notched part of the wood, and then tighten the strap. We drilled a hole and inserted a short piece of pipe, and slipped dollar store solar lights onto the pipe. They look pretty at night and don't disturb your neighbors. We have used our setup at various campsites. We can be on a concrete pad or gravel, a fairly level campsite, or one that is totally wonky. The angle that the 2x4's make contact with the ground changes at each site, and with each corner, and they still work flawlessly. The scissor jacks, the x-chocks, and these homemade stabilizers, make our humble hybrid feel rock solid. Incidentally, if you put something solid under the bottom step, they won't bounce.
Attached Thumbnails
stabilizerFront.jpg  
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote