Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Storage door leaking

I have an 2014 aluminum 28BHBE that we bought new in May. I recently took a walk through to check on things and found ice on the floor from front of bunks to bathroom vanity. At first I checked the pipes under the vanity, even though they are full of pink antifreeze this time of year, and the water on the floor was clear, but no sign of leaks. I then checked the side storage area under the bunks, and it is loaded with ice. When I flipped up the door, there was evidence of water running on the inside of the door. The caulk seems to be in great shape. The only two things I think could be the problem is that the aluminum channel around the door is spliced at the top of the door, but there appears to be no gap. The other is that it could be coming through the hinge itself. Anyone else ever have a problem like this?
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

I had a similar leak. For us it appeared to be the rubber gasket not seated properly, between the door and frame. Jayco replaced under warranty. It has not leaked since.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

That would be the black seal on the inside of the door frame, correct? I believe there may be another rubber seal on the outside, but that may just be to cover fasteners. I am planning on heading out in a few minutes to take a look and break up some of the ice in the storage area, as it is in the lower 30's this morning and don't know when we will see that again. If I can take out the bulk of the ice, that will be less water to deal with when it melts. Just very nervous about damage to flooring.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Look at the bottom of the aluminum frame opening for exposed frame attaching screws. If you can see the heads of the screws, water is leaking past the heads. There must be sealer on top of the screw heads.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Site Team

I just finished fixing a storage door leak on the EAGLE. After every rain I noticed a small amount of water on the inside of of the storage area below the door. I originally thought that it was from opening the door after a rain or heavy dew, but no. After many attempts to find the leak, I crawled inside and had DW spray the outside of the TT.

Guess what!!! When JAYCO attached the storage door casing, where they inserted the screws on the sides to hold it in place, they tightened a screw way to tight. This caused the lip with the gasket next to it to bend in and the gasket separated from the metal a VERY little bit. I straightened the lip and had DW spray again. NO LEAK... but still trying to straighten my back out from crawling in there. We have had like 4" of rain since the fix and the paper towels on the storage area floor are DRY.

Mission accomplished!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY RVer View Post
That would be the black seal on the inside of the door frame, correct? I believe there may be another rubber seal on the outside, but that may just be to cover fasteners.
The black seal is the one I was talking about.

The other on on the outside is mostly decorative to cover the ugly screws.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

It has to be that black seal, as it seems that is the only spot where water could be getting in and running down the back of the door.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Carefully look the cargo frame caulking over as I had a similar experience a few years ago with a 2010 24 FBS. I was finding water on the floor and thought it was coming from the storage door seal. What I finally found was a small hole in the caulking at the bottom of the cargo hatch frame that had probably been there since the day the unit was manufactured. After I sealed the hole no more leaks but I did have damage. Just thought this may also be something for you to look for.