Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

storage door locks

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to make the storage compartment doors more secure. Today someone had opened mine and 2 others in the RV lot. They have 1 key lock that a tab goes behind the thin flimsy piece of metal that the door rests against when it is closed. I know just about everyone has this same set up and most have the same key. Anyway, I'm looking for a better set up to make it harder to open the door.
I don't just want to change the key to a combination lock I actually want a lock that has more bit to something to hold the door shut

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

You can eliminate the same key issue by installing the barrel locks on your storage compartment doors. Replace the existing locks and finger tabs (for more security) on each door with new locks. That still will not stop a large screw driver from prying them open.

You can find them on Amazon. You will need to make a few measurements to get the correct offset.

I replaced mine as soon as I purchased the TT.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - Barrel Locks for Storage Compartment Doors.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. But I'm looking for something that has more grab then the little tabs like on the lock now. Maybe something with a rod that goes a lot farther then the tab. The problem is the tab only goes behind the thin strip around the inside of the door and it very easy to pull past that. But your are right, if they want in they will get in. Thank you for your reply

Old 01-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Thank you for the reply. But I'm looking for something that has more grab then the little tabs like on the lock now. Maybe something with a rod that goes a lot farther then the tab. The problem is the tab only goes behind the thin strip around the inside of the door and it very easy to pull past that. But your are right, if they want in they will get in. Thank you for your reply
I switched my locks also, but if you replace both sides of the compartment door...the lock side and the manual non-lock side they shouldn't be able to open them. They way they come with only one lock side, you can open the one side and probably pull the other side open.
Also you can order same type of key locks or get them at lowes/home depot etc, check the size/length and the package key number, you can get all the compartments with the same key.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

I want to do something like this

Paddle Handle Locking Latch w/ Release - 5-1/2" Long x 4-1/4" Wide - Steel Polar Hardware Enclosed Trailer Parts PLR5115
Old 01-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

My friend had his compartment doors opened twice on his trailer. We both changed our locks to barrel style. He changed both ends. Next he got a thin piece of angle steel. Believe it was bed frame. Cut to fit them screwed in place. You have to push alittle harder to lock it but it is pretty solid and know one has got in it, they open the easier ones. I store mine next to my house. May still however add the extra steel.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

Angle Steel, Cut to length. Screwed down in place. It looks and worked great. Not sure if he had to cut height. Will have to ask him. But it is now allot stronger

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
Angle Steel, Cut to length. Screwed down in place. It looks and worked great. Not sure if he had to cut height. Will have to ask him. But it is now allot stronger
Great Idea, I will have to look into that
Thank You

Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Hope it works for you , Let us know how you make out. Maybe even some pictures.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 01-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

You can buy these locks that will match your front door - then you have just one key to worry about. We installed them on our trailer a few years ago - nothing but happiness :-) Bonus - you get an extra key with each lock you buy, excellent because I can't seem to keep my keys around.
paul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
You can buy these locks that will match your front door - then you have just one key to worry about. We installed them on our trailer a few years ago - nothing but happiness :-) Bonus - you get an extra key with each lock you buy, excellent because I can't seem to keep my keys around.
Matching the front door is kind of tricky isn't it? The deadbolt and door lock aren't keyed the same. Did you re-key your front door too?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Matching the front door is kind of tricky isn't it? The deadbolt and door lock aren't keyed the same. Did you re-key your front door too?
The front door and deadbolt are the same key on our trailer (and others I've seen). On the linked site we just enterd the code on our key, and that is what we ordered - it could not have been any simpler.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

What kind of camper do you have?

Next time you are at a jayco dealer with your camper, see if they can get in it with their master key. I'm sure others see what i'm getting at.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:

Next time you are at a jayco dealer with your camper, see if they can get in it with their master key. I'm sure others see what i'm getting at.
It's a Jay Flight 23MB. What do you mean by "I'm sure others see what I'm getting at?"
Old 01-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #15

We've had numerous threads, some recently, about why Jayco keys the deadbolts differently.

It's so they can't get into your camper with their Master Key. Their are thousands of those keys in the wild. It's the main reason people re-key their baggage / storage doors, but don't worry about the main entrance because it has a uniquely keyed deadbolt that the master won't work with.

So, it raises a security related red flag that everyone involved in those other threads is probably seeing too.

Either A) Your camper was never 'master key friendly to begin with, which would be very unusual for a TT - in which case you're golden. or

B) Every lock on your camper can be opened with a Jayco master key.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
We've had numerous threads, some recently, about why Jayco keys the deadbolts differently.

It's so they can't get into your camper with their Master Key.
So it's members re-keying the deadbolt, not the factory? I read your post as it being the factory - interesting though.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
So it's members re-keying the deadbolt, not the factory? I read your post as it being the factory - interesting though.
No, sorry if I wasn't clear. Most of us do not rekey our deadbolts because we figure there is no reason to rekey something the Jayco master key can't unlock. This is how they usually come from the factory.

If a person had (like I think most of us do) a uniquely keyed dead bolt, and they then rekeyed the entire camper to use *that* key code. That sounds like a good option and this could be the setup you have now, I don't know though. Was just suggesting that you confirm at the dealer that your locks either are, or aren't openable by them. Those master keys are easy to obtain.

Edit - even with unique keys, these campers are pretty easy to break into anyway, so I'm not so sure how relevant much of this is. Rekeying my storage doors was all I ended up doing.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:

My 2017 X213 uses the same key for both door locks. I have a second key, but that's only for the outside shower. Otherwise, one key handles everything else.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
How long is the shaft on the lock we use?

Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
How long is the shaft on the lock we use?
7/8" is what I ordered for our trailer, and they fit perfect. If memory serves, there should be directions on determining the proper length.