Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #1

Storage ideas/tricks?

My husband and I just purchased a new Jay Flight Swift 267BHS. The floor plan is shown below (we have double bed bunks). I'm finding it a challenge to find a spot to store various items, so I'm wondering if any of you have come up with some different and brilliant ideas for storing all the stuff you need to carry for camping. Any particular types of storage containers you've found useful? Have you added any hooks, or other storage on the walls? (Is it even possible to screw a hook into a wall on a trailer?) Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

CampinMema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

First thing I did was measure every space H x W X D....then went out shopping for bins to suite (clear, stackable)
Attached Thumbnails
Slide1.JPG   Slide2.JPG  
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Do you have storage under the queen bed with lift up platform?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

If you get a chance, jump over to the "Jayco Mods" forum and lurk through the pages of different mods posted, you may run across some ideas.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Hi
I found Some (free ) office carpet I lined the inside of the storage areas to protect the floor form dirt and scratches
Clear storage containers, even found one for the bbq to go in( one of the go under the bed one).
Most of the ladies I know sew, One made me a large bag to put the outside carpet in, so all of the dirt is contained, It goes under the bed.
Dollar store is a good place to start for cheap baskets and Wall-Mart is good,
The RV stores are too expensive. They do have some good stuff but double the price.
As I do most of my camping (dry) I use the microwave as a bread box, it great for that.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

We have a carpet strip in the front outside storage area. It is handy for getting to things in the center. I just pull the carpet toward me and when I am done I go to the other side and pull it back. Clear plastic totes are real handy. I see you have a wardrobe closet next to the refrigerator. You can put shelves in it and have a pantry. Four shelf strips and some shelves and you are in business.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

We have screwed hooks to the walls with the small wood screws they come with, they have held well with jacket and hat weight, not sure I would hang a snow covered parka on them. Also have used the command stick-on hooks, they work well also.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

We use command hooks also. Clear storage boxes of various sizes to keep dry goods, dishes, kitchen and bathroom items organized. I bought some colored stackable storage cubes from amazon that I use in the closet for socks, unders, etc.

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary.
2Ambros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #9

We also have a 267bhs. Did yours come with lifting struts for the front bed? Ours did not, and I ended up adding some to make that storage area more accessible. Under our front bed we have 5 bag chairs, 3 zero gravity chairs, toys for the kids, water hoses, charcoal, charcoal chimney, awning lights, a couple of extension cords, a tote with x-chocks, and leveling blocksand the roasting sticks. Under the dinette benches we have extra blankets. Under the rear bed is the blue waste water tank, tank flush water hose, 2 30A extension cords, a tote with waste water accessories, a tote with leveling blocks, and two 4" black and white tvs( no idea why we still have these). We have managed to find a spot for pretty much every thing. I have moved things around from the way we originally had them. It takes time and tweaking.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions. As you said, jenoble99, it takes awhile to figure out what works for us. We went camping this past weekend, and it was a hot mess. I just hadn't had the time to think thru all the "where to put it" places, buy any containers, etc. I felt like I was playing hide and seek!

jmooney, yes we do have storage under our queen sized bed, but it's not easy to get to since we do NOT have the lifts on that storage area. I think we'll go ahead and buy them and install them to make it easier to lift the bed. Also, that storage area was open to the front pass-thru storage area, which I did not like. I had my husband screw a thin board in the pass-thru area to better separate the pass-thru from the under-bed storage. It's not perfect, but better.

Threebutchers, thanks for the diagrams. You're a man/woman from my own heart! (I'm a diagram/list maker myself!) They were very helpful.

Rustic Eagle, thanks for the link. I'll head over there right now.

Clutch, good idea with the rug. I think that's easily do-able!

Okay, so clear storage boxes, and Command strips seem to be the way to head at first.
CampinMema is offline   Reply With Quote