Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #1

Question Storage next to fresh water tank?

I was "exploring" around in my new Jay Flight SLX 174BH and noticed that there is a fair amount of additional space in the compartment where the fresh water tank is held. The board that provides access is screwed down underneath the queen bed, but there is no reason I can see why you wouldn't be able to add a hinge to provide access, much as already exists to give access to the large front storage space under the mattress (which is also accessible from outside). Has anyone else done this? Is there a compelling reason why you would NOT want to have anything stored next to the fresh water tank? I'm thinking it would be a convenient place to put bed linens, for example.
HappyCanard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new JayFlight.

It seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Folks frequently post modifications for extra storage. If you do make the change, please post pics.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #3

Why? Is there a need for additional storage? We keep a full outfit for two weeks of backcountry camping( tent,food packs, sleeping bags etc) down there. And there is STILL room.. We don't want to stuff that space with things we MIGHT need as its additional weight well forward putting pressure on the tongue.

Not saying don't do but just be aware that there COULD be consequences,

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #4

Thanks, oldman, if I do make the modification I'll be sure to post some pics.

Kim, wrt your comment, I fully acknowledge that one might not "need" the storage, and weight balancing / overload could be an issue (especially with a full water tank next to it), but my thinking is that it would be a convenient place to put some light things like extra blankets or pillows. This would leave room free in the overhead cabinets to put clothes instead of using a duffel bag as I currently do.

-Brody
HappyCanard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCanard View Post
Thanks, oldman, if I do make the modification I'll be sure to post some pics.

Kim, wrt your comment, I fully acknowledge that one might not "need" the storage, and weight balancing / overload could be an issue (especially with a full water tank next to it), but my thinking is that it would be a convenient place to put some light things like extra blankets or pillows. This would leave room free in the overhead cabinets to put clothes instead of using a duffel bag as I currently do.

-Brody
You do have less room than we do. I think we have more than enough. The tent and sleeping bags go underneath as well as dehydrated food . We usually take a ten day backpacking type trip when we use the TT. Our fresh water tank is near the front. Light stuff ought to be fine but we did have an episode of high humidity this summer. We just had folding chairs down there.
We forgot that it gets hot in the trailer closed up even though it rarely breaks 80 F here.. Ergo when we went to use the TT it stank..

Our bed is on a platform but not bolted down..hinges were easy to install. If you can do it with your bed it is a real nice thing to have to access stuff underneath in poor weather.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slx 174bh