Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Storing sewer hose

I have been told that you can store your sewer hose in the rear bumper. Is this a good idea and could it rust out your bumper if not drained real good?
tbear711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

There’s going to be a little rust over time, but nothing really to worry about. The square bumper with the removable caps is where the hose is intended to be stored.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

The holes in the bumper caps will help with some air. I recommend you put some window screening on those holes to prevent insects from getting in and building a nest. Last thing you want is to pull that hose out and get stung by wasps.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Unless your bumper is large, it will be difficult or impossible to get the hose fittings in there. I attached a 4” (maybe 4.5) PVC fence post to my trailer with a glued cap on one side and a removable cap on the other to store my hose. Do a search and you will see what others have done. I drilled air holes in mine and made a slide tray. Everything fits great and it is isolated from everything else.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Rear bumper is the right spot. Some hose fittings are too large to fit inside. My rhinoflex extreme fits okay, and I keep the 90 degree elbow and "hole adapter" fitting in a different place.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
I recommend you put some window screening on those holes to prevent insects from getting in and building a nest. Last thing you want is to pull that hose out and get stung by wasps.
Dang! Excellent idea! I never thought of that!
Thanks!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

lowes PVC 5" fence post and two caps is the way to go. you can also get a piece of plastic guttering and lay the hose and fittings in it and use it as a drawer to slide out of the fence post.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #8

My old TT had zero rust after 4 years of storing the stinky slinky in there.

My new MH came with a bit of rust inside the bumper. I read a post on here a few years ago where a guy actually painted the INSIDE of his bumper with POR-15. If the rust gets any worse, I may employ that tactic.

The PVC fence posts are a good way to go, and definitely worth consideration.

I prefer to store in the bumper. I put caps on both ends of the hose so insects and water cannot get in or out of the hose itself. This also will help keep the hose inside the bumper in the event I lose an end cap in transit. I condense the hose as I'm pushing it into the bumper, and then place on the hose cap, and then push it 8-12" further into the bumper. The caps seal the hose and don't allow it to expand freely, so if I lose a bumper cap, my hose isn't going anywhere. So my risk of corrosion comes from sources OTHER than the stinky slinky. And my insect risk is high because I have not screened off the openings in the end caps yet. I keep the ancillary fittings in a container in a storage bin.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote