Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Stove & Water Heater Won't Light...

2016 Jayco Jay Flight - the stove & water heater won't light unless the furnace is running. As soon as the furnace is done cycling, I lose flame. Both propane tanks are full. Thoughts?
krloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #2

Could be your regulator on or near the tank. They do go bad. Try giving a tap with a wrench and see if it helps. If it does, go out and buy a new one. If it doesn't and no one else has a better fix go out and buy a new one.

Check for bad pipes, collapsed or pinched. Leaks anywhere. Not likely to be the problem but good time to do it. Also, turn off propane at tank. Run furnace to exhaust all pressure in lines. Then do a reset by VERY slowly turning on tank valve to SLOWLY refill lines. Then try lighting stove, etc.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krloo View Post
2016 Jayco Jay Flight - the stove & water heater won't light unless the furnace is running. As soon as the furnace is done cycling, I lose flame. Both propane tanks are full. Thoughts?
The stove is easier to troubleshoot.

Just so we're clear. With the furnace on there is gas to the stove. With the furnace off there isn't gas to the stove? Do you have a rear kitchen? I'm trying to determine in what order they plumbed in your gas lines. For example on my rig the first appliance from the tanks is the stove. I need to light the stove to draw in the gas then my fridge and furnace downstream will reliably ignite. But, that is only the first time after closing and reopening the valve. Your issue seems different.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Could be your regulator on or near the tank. They do go bad. Try giving a tap with a wrench and see if it helps. If it does, go out and buy a new one. If it doesn't and no one else has a better fix go out and buy a new one.

Check for bad pipes, collapsed or pinched. Leaks anywhere. Not likely to be the problem but good time to do it. Also, turn off propane at tank. Run furnace to exhaust all pressure in lines. Then do a reset by VERY slowly turning on tank valve to SLOWLY refill lines. Then try lighting stove, etc.
My first thought is it is working when the furnace is on, so how could it be malfunctioning when the furnace stops. Now I';m wondering if you are suggesting that it needs a stronger pull from a bigger energy user? That's kind of interesting. Somehow the furnace sucks harder and can get gas through the regulator.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

I too think the regulator may be the culprit. The furnace is a pretty big consumer so the issue may occur when the gas flow is too low. Have you had all stove burners and oven on (if you have one)?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM   #6

Exact same problem

Exact same problem here did you find a fix?
Lupe50632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe50632 View Post
Exact same problem here did you find a fix?
This thread is 4 years old and the original poster was a "one and done" poster that didn't even bother replying to those looking to help.

If you have the exact same problem, what have you done to try to resolve it? Have you changed the regulator as suggested above? That would be a good start.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:37 AM   #8

Just changed the stove regulater since i thought it was just a stove issue, but turns out its water heater aswell. Ill give the regulator a try when i have a chance and post if solved issue thanks
Old 01-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #9

Perfect. We'll wait to hear from you. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:31 PM   #10

Fixed

Problem fixed. Swapped out regulator by the propane tanks. Everything is working thanks appreciate the help!
Old 01-24-2024, 08:44 PM   #11

Nice work, and thanks for reporting back with the fix. I'm glad to hear you solved the issue.

Tags
furnace, oven, propane, stove, water heater