Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #1

Stove/Oven Issue

Just got back from maiden voyage with the new trailer. First, must say that this is our first Jayco. I am not impressed with Jayco quality control. When using the oven last week we discovered the stove/oven is not attached to the wall. The entire stove/oven moves. The only thing keeping the stove/oven from falling on the floor when the trailer is in motion is the gas line. Nice job Jayco. I was excited when I first made this purchase. Now, I regret trading in my Fleetwood Wilderness. I can't go back, however, I won't make the same mistake again.
Wife, 2 kids and dog
RLD0361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

Thats why Jayco gives you a warranty. Sometimes, things happen. I can understand your disgust on a brand new RV but this sounds like a quick fix. I still have not found an issue with my 2008....and I am a stickler for quality. Get that dealer to fix it and take it back out again and I bet you will change your opinion. Good luck.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

I hate to hear about your bad experience. We have seen a few instances when stuff like this happens, but I will say this - when folks here have contacted Jayco, they have been very good about fixing problems.

Once you get any kinks worked out and have a few trips complete, I hope you guys are happy with your camper once again!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD0361 View Post
Just got back from maiden voyage with the new trailer. First, must say that this is our first Jayco. I am not impressed with Jayco quality control. When using the oven last week we discovered the stove/oven is not attached to the wall. The entire stove/oven moves. The only thing keeping the stove/oven from falling on the floor when the trailer is in motion is the gas line. Nice job Jayco. I was excited when I first made this purchase. Now, I regret trading in my Fleetwood Wilderness. I can't go back, however, I won't make the same mistake again.
Most new RV's have issues of some sort. I think you are judging too quickly, and only on one item. Jayco will fix it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

On my 3rd TT and can not say any of them were perfect from the factory. While I wish everything was perfect I realize things will happen. Call the dealer or see if there is a rv service company that can come to you .
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

When it comes to QC, like others with our year model two bolts to our a/c were a little loose. The underbelly needed a few additional screws, and the wood under our bed was splintered. Where I agree that when it comes to bolting down something completely on an rv OR a personal vehicle, I'm not sure I would be so quick to bail on the company that quickly. Not making excuses for the featherbrain who installed your oven, but it could have been that the worker putting that one oven in became distracted for some reason. At any rate, in the almost two years this forum has existed, I don't remember one member complaining of a loose oven. We had several Fords/Honda's/Chevy/Dodges over the years as well as a Rockwood, Casita, and Aljo, there was something loose, missing, or installed incorrectly on them all. Each one had at least a short list of warranty issues when new but we still were repeat customers. Oh, Lord. And don't get me started on buying a new house.... Wow! (LOL)

I understand that QC is done on every five Jayco units that leave the line. I'm pretty sure mine was not number five! Matter fact, I'm pretty certain our other new rv/purchases didn't make it through QC. After years of automobile/rv purchases, we learned to download a PDI list, take it with us at delivery, and go through each item before leaving the lot. No matter, what we didn't catch at the time of delivery, we were comforted knowing we have a warranty in place when we did find something amiss. Jayco isn't perfect, but after reading other forums, I am pretty certain other companies' QC can easily be questioned also.

Do what we did... contact Jayco in writing with your concerns. If they don't hear about it, they can't fix it. Also, give yourselves some time to acclimate to your new Jayco. You may find you really like your Jayco enough to purchase another one when this one tires out.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

Took it back to the dealer today with my list of issues. The dealer is great and I have no qualms with them. It just seems the RV industry is about 30 years behind the auto industry when it comes to QC. It is frustrating when you think about the money you are laying out. Fortunately, we are not scheduled to go anywhere for about 3 weeks.
Wife, 2 kids and dog
RLD0361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD0361 View Post
Took it back to the dealer today with my list of issues. The dealer is great and I have no qualms with them. It just seems the RV industry is about 30 years behind the auto industry when it comes to QC. It is frustrating when you think about the money you are laying out. Fortunately, we are not scheduled to go anywhere for about 3 weeks.
I have NEVER bought a new vehicle that has not had to go back to the dealer for Quality Control issues..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #9

Sorry to read about your issues. I agree with you how frustrating it is. Much easier on this side of the keyboard,as we retruned last week from our maiden voyage with a jayflight 28bhs. I could find nothing wrong with our unit. I found so many little features about the Jayco that I like so much better than our 07Antigua, that I already am a huge fan of Jayco. I hope your next trip goes with out a (hitch would be the wrong word here I think) issue.
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #10
Site Team

You're not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have NEVER bought a new vehicle that has not had to go back to the dealer for Quality Control issues..
Me, too, and our 2000 Jayco was no exception. We took delivery of it in February. It went back to the dealer in May to have the following items addressed (these were taken from my "Fix List" given to the dealer when I took the unit in for service). Note the number of water problems we had involving the roof and various plumbing fixtures.
  1. Water leaking in corners inside of both bedroom shirt wards. Seems to be primarily accumulating on the plastic moulding in each outer corner. However on the right side, some wetness was also noticed on the right wall.
  2. Water leaking onto floor behind toilet when flushed. Appears to come from somewhere just under the toilet seat, then splashes onto the supply line and drips to the floor.
  3. Water accumulating on shelf under kitchen sink. It drips off of cold water supply line and only seems to occur when water has been run. Not certain whether this is a plumbing issue or a possible seal problem between the faucet assembly/sink/counter top when water gets accidentally splashed out of the sink.
  4. The outside service access door for the refrigerator can’t be opened.

Don't be too premature in your assessment of Jayco's quality. I think once you have the "bugs" worked out, you'll have a reliable and satisfying unit. Ours is 11 years old and shows no signs of giving up the ghost anytime soon.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote