Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Stupid corroded external 30 amp battery fuse

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M9ukJRS6pZSZPN5v5
Jayco 154BH (2016) here. Was cleaning for next trip and found no power from batteries. No power when plugged into shore power outlet. Checked battery fuse outside and found crazy corrosion. Was working just a month ago. Obviously this is the issue. Why would Jayco not seal this off better!!!??? Now I have to clean (and likely replace) the fuse holder. What a P.I.T.A.

For disconnecting the batteries... Is it remove negative first? I can never remember and, there's about a thousand debates online about which to remove.

From a Quora.com question/answer ( https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-neg...ne-maintenance ): "You need both cables (negative & positive) to complete a circuit.

The reason why the negative is removed rather than the positive is that the negative is usually connected to the earth (or ground) of the vehicle.

So, if you removed the positive cable without first removing the negative, you risk catching the metal of your wrench/spanner with the vehicle bodywork whilst you're removing the positive terminal. This could result in a massive short circuit.

Likewise, if you're working on an electrical component with both terminals connected, you risk a similar problem if you accidentally short a permanent live to earth. "
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

I alway remove the negative first. I don't like sparks and damaged wrenches. When installing, install the positive first and the negative last. I know there will be a debate on using silicone electrical grease, but if you don't want it on the fuse contact area, you can smear it on the fuse enclosure cap and maybe the entrance for the wires to keep out the mag chloride (salt) and water. There are some products out there that remove corrosion where you soak the electrical components in solution.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

I'm going to go by the auto parts store later tonight on the way home from another obligation. I'll get some electrical cleaner and protection. Thanks for the affirmation of negative first. Sadly I should know this by heart, but with kids in my life now I barely get time to do the "fun" stuff any longer!

This forum/community is awesome btw!
Equal-i-zer 90000600 Equalizer Hitch; Weight Distrubition with sway control (6k)
armyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote