Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

I think you should read the manual, for the tanks, when you get your camper. Some of the answer above are correct though.

Welcome aboard, and all them "stupid questions" gives us the go ahead to show how smart we are.(:-)

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

We'll be getting our first travel trailer soon. I will be asking the technician questions like yours at the PDI.

We've done a ton of camping and trailer towing, but we've NEVER had propane, electrical, and water systems like our new trailer will have. We'll need to use and understand those systems so I hope the person doing the PDI is ready for all the questions I have.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
Site Team

If equipped with the autochangeover valve it may look like the image below. You turn the valve to the service cylinder and when that runs out it automatically switches to the other or "reserve" cylinder.

I have the manual regulator as pictured below. It will draw off whichever tank is turned on, or both at the same time.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #14

I like to manually change mine so I know when one is empty... that way I can take the empty one and refill if you have both of them on and it switches automatically then when you run out your out ... could leave you in a situation if it was cold and you needed the furnace lol
Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

Just food for thought...and only because it happened to me. We were camping this last New Year's Eve and I ran out of propane in my one tank in the middle of the night with the furnace running in about 30 degree weather. I woke up at 6 a.m. and was freezing. Luckily I was aware that the one tank was running low, so I had to go outside and turn on the other propane tank. It all worked out, but I would have preferred to have run out in the middle of the day...Oh well, just another lesson learned!

Dan
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I like to manually change mine so I know when one is empty... that way I can take the empty one and refill if you have both of them on and it switches automatically then when you run out your out ... could leave you in a situation if it was cold and you needed the furnace lol
And that is precisely how I want it to work. I will essentially live and work out of my RV for many months and I would prefer to run one tank out completely, switch to a full tank, and take the empty tank into town to fill up so I'm never out of propane.

There's certainly a lot to learn.

Thank you everyone for your time and assistance. It is much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

NO gauge as oem on most TT's other than the green/red on the regulator.

Easy to manage your propane [if you have 2 tanks], just run on 1 [primary] until empty [no flame on stove or fridge blinks] and then switch to tank 2. After switching tanks, take the empty one to be filled or exchanged. Always keep a full tank as backup. If you've been using gas for a while and are concerned about running out over night, then switch to #2 tank before going to bed but remember to switch back to #1 in the morning so you can use that tank to empty, knowing that #2 tank is still full or near full.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #18

It is not a problem to leave both tanks on. Pretty simple to check gauge indicator once a day. If the indicator is red, switch the lever to the opposite tank. Then you can pull the empty and refill it. I find that much better than just having one tank on and having the furnace shut off at 2 am. I don't relish going out in the freezing weather to switch tanks and re-prime the system. Just my personal way of doing things. We each have our own way and there is no wrong way, just the way you like personally.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
It is not a problem to leave both tanks on. Pretty simple to check gauge indicator once a day. If the indicator is red, switch the lever to the opposite tank. Then you can pull the empty and refill it. I find that much better than just having one tank on and having the furnace shut off at 2 am. I don't relish going out in the freezing weather to switch tanks and re-prime the system. Just my personal way of doing things. We each have our own way and there is no wrong way, just the way you like personally.

X2 After a while you will know about how long you can go between fill ups. You don't have to wait until a tank is completely empty, you can fill it at any point, you only pay for the amount of fuel you actually put in the tank. Much like your car gas tank. A full tank should last weeks even using it in cool weather, the furnace being the largest user of fuel. It' not difficult to look at the green or red button once in a while.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

I'm with Paintinfool3. We spend months in the TT in AZ and so use a tank every now and then. When the furnace conks out, I to the other tank and refill the empty one. It only took running out of both one night with 7 degree temperature outside for my DW to suggest I find a way to not let that happen again.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote