Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Question Suggest a Replacement for Us

Looking ahead to a replacement for our 2011 320RLDS. We both are really pleased with the floor plan. But it gets pretty small after spending four or five months in it. So while we'll make our own decision it would be helpful if suggestions or ideas from owners of larger TTs allowed us to begin our winnowing process from a reasonable list rather than just wander over Jayco's website floorplans. We're well over a hundred miles from the nearest two dealers, so it is important we make the trip only after calling and finding out what they have on the lots.

If you want to mention 5th wheels that's fine, our truck can do it. But our barn is just over 12' high. So that's stopped us from going that route up to now. And we like to use the truck bed for a quad.

Some things we'd be looking for is more square footage, another slide and a king size bed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #2

Suggest a Replacement for Us

Cekkk, you could go with a bigger trailer or at least one with more slides looking at your profile you can pull just about anything with your truck. I really like pulling fifth wheels but the down side of that is you will have to double tow and anything over 32 ft would probably put you over the length requirements . This was my problem we had a designer RL31 and pulled a Polaris RZR behind that. Wanted something bigger but it put us over. I think your state is 70 ft Michigan just changed to 75ft for double tow. The problem is most states is 65ft . I go west for the winter and now I will be about 70/71 ft. Thought of a toy hauler but the wife didn't like them and fifty grand is a lot to spend and find out the wife's not happy.seems like everything is a trade off good luck
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

We did a double tow for four years with our Montana and were right at the max length. We bought our 330RLTS which had a lot more room and the truck bed is now free for toys. My wife did not like the steps in the 5er. After having a reaction to some medications she had a balance problem and was afraid she would fall on the steps. We are now on one level and she is happy and I have my truck bed back.

If you check on the internet you will find that several companies make long trailers with three slides.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

I've pretty much ruled out double-towing. It seems there's often a need to back up a bit. I guess it could be avoided but DW already follows with an ATV and the UTV on the car hauler. Don't need another trailer! Now I put an ATV in the truck bed. We had a toy hauler and neither of us wants another one. So for now we'll just try to narrow the search to a half dozen or so models to avoid wandering through a hundred trailers with floor plans we won't like. It's much easier to buy a car, isn't it? Sometimes it seems like there are more trailer makers than RVers!
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Having been down this road recently I would first vote for an island or more kitchen counter space. Second is seating, which I will now have more of and the configuration of how the television is positioned for that seating.

The Eagle Premier 361REQS would be one I would consider if I were in the rear liver market. The other one would be any of the Pinnacle's with the exception of the front liver since I did not like going through the bathroom to get to my BR. The 60" TV was nice though!

Personally I feel the 5'ers give you the feeling of more space overall with the ceiling heights and towing is better overall IMHO. Good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

3'enough, You brought up an important point about seating. Our setup has two easy chairs looking straight ahead to the TV. So many have you cranking your head to view it. Unacceptable! And I've seen that in high priced MHs, too.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Craig, When you get back here take some time to go to places that sell all kinds of RVs. take your time and walk thru some and look at what they offer. Only you and the wife can find out what both of you like. I don't think there is one RV that will fit everything that you want, but there is some out there that will come real close.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

Ernie, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Just would like suggestions as to larger 2-person TTs by model number so I don't have to wander some of my remaining days on Earth looking at stuff I don't want. Like, what model is your house?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Cekkk, we have a 2012 Eagle 320RLDS and really like it. My wife has hinted around about how much more room we'd have if the "other side slid out". Problem is that Jayco stopped making a full 3 slide out Travel Trailer in the Eagle line in 2012, it was the 330RLTS. In fact, I don't think Jayco makes a full 3 slide out trailer [bed plus 2 other slides]. We've actually been looking at a Flagstaff 8321KBS by Forest River. We traded in a Flagstaff on our current Jayco. The 8321 has the front queen slide plus 2 rear slides and an island in the kitchen. Really nice setup. BUT, I really like the 10 gallon water heater and the private potty in the 320RLDS. We've yet to decide. Lots of manufacturers make 3 slided TT's, wonder why Jayco stopped. Just a thought
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Craig what we live in is a Jayco Bungalow 40fer. What Lettie and I liked was a Jayco Premier 351 mkts. Any rear living area of the Pinnacle series, Open Roads like Dennis has, also Jayco has a Destination series sort of like our Bungalow but a little smaller. The 351 mkts is a 5th wheel. Hope you find what you are looking for.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #11

TCN, that's what I'm looking for, a model to go see. Our first TT was a one year old Forest River product and while we had it there were no problems with it. Like you, The Boss needs every bit of that ten gallon WH. Still, it will be on our list. It's always possible that a salesman who knows his lines would be able to direct us to a similar unit but with whatever features we're looking for.

Just curious. Did your Eagle dump way too much heat into the toilet room?
'14 Denali XL
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

Ernie, Yours is nice. A lot to tow, but they might have something a tad smaller. I'd not want to go much longer than my 32' box. It's about 37' ball to bumper as it is. Or we could just leave it down there and get a much smaller one for summer weekends.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Yeah Cekkk, it's like an oven in there with the heater being right behind the wall. FYI, you might want to check out Open Range RV.com. They have 3 or 4 Travel Trailer models with 3 slides and 10 gallon water heaters. Forgot to mention that in previous post. Good luck in your search, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #14

Craig go to Jayco website and look at Jayco Jayflight DST 38RLTS. it is a destination trailer. smaller than what we got all the way round. You know our Bungalow does get a little close when the Code man lays on the floor between the couch and chair, and we only have one dog. After selling our 2165 square foot house and moving into the bungalow we had to adapt. In Payson this past summer we were very comfortable in our trailer with the living room slides across from each other. Hope the best for you.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

We traded in our 2007 Eagle 322FKS for a 2014 Cougar High Country that has 3 slides (including bed slide out). Jayco quit making them in 2012 so we went for the Cougar. Wow, what a difference. A true residential queen size bed (60"x80").
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote