Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

Suggestions for a woman getting WD hitch off without husband?

I want to go camping with the kids, but can't fathom how to disconnect the weight distribution hitch without my husband's brute strength. Any suggestions? Is there a tool we don't know about? Can you use the wrench-like tool you put it on with to get it off?
Honeymoon Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

We have an electric tongue jack that we use to raise the TT-TV combination enough that the bars can be put on their perches (our WDH does not have chains) with ease. Although I do most of the heavy work I figure the bride could handle it without me. We did the same thing with the crank tongue jack but the electric is waaaaaay easier.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #3

It should not be that difficult to get off. Are you talking about the difficulty with the spring bars or just the weight of the parts putting it on and taking it off?

I can also tell you that at most campgrounds if you ask for help from your neighbor, they are going to be more than happy to help you. You also have another option if you are just going to stay in camp - leave it connected. There is nothing saying you have to pull it all apart.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

I use a two to three foot piece of 1 inch emt conduit to slide over the hook to raise or lower the spring bars. If you know an electrician ask him for a scrap piece of emt or rigid conduit to use as a cheater bar.
Bruce and Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Leave it hooked up.

Also, the cheater bar lifts the wdh hook up and down. I am 61 yrs old and can manage it very easily. We have the elec hitch which I recommend. Hope this helps!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We have an electric tongue jack that we use to raise the TT-TV combination enough that the bars can be put on their perches (our WDH does not have chains) with ease. Although I do most of the heavy work I figure the bride could handle it without me. We did the same thing with the crank tongue jack but the electric is waaaaaay easier.
This is what we do when hitching and unhitching except i still have to raise everything up with the hand crank. An electric jack is definitely in my future.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Suggestions for a woman getting WD hitch off without husband?

One thing to watch for when disconnecting the pull-up brackets is to watch and see what the ball mount on the truck is doing. My truck squats a decent amount so even after lifting the trailer tongue a ways, there is still weight on the truck. If you disengaged the brackets in this condition it would fling the bar off if you aren't careful. I did this once but luckily didn't get hurt, just more startled. Please make sure the trailer jack has taken all the weight off the ball, and has lifted the tow vehicle up a couple inches. Same thing in reverse when hooking up.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #8

Shouldn't be any pressure on the bars if you crank down the tongue jack far enough. Depending on the location sometime the back tires of my truck are nearly off the ground. I do have a cheater/leverage bar though if I do need it for getting the bars off or on the L brackets , 1 of these should have come with your WD system.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #9

And a reminder to always make sure your wheels are chocked before hitching and before unhitching. It's easy to forget with everything we have to do.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

If you do RV campsite type camping, your campground host can be your best friend! never met one yet who wouldnt stop at anything to help in any way with anything you need. Maybe others havent had such good experiences...I like to think it is the norm and not the exception. Happy camping!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

156 pretty much hit it on the head when he said to raise the jack wheel on the TT to the point that the TV stops rising. At that point all the tongue weight is off the ball. Then remove the safety pins and using the cheater extensions, carefully lower the hook/lever that the chain is attached to. There will still be a little tension on the bars so stand to the side when you remove the safety pins. Just about all of us have been bit by the snap of the bar when a leg or knee gets in the way. Done carefully, its pretty easy to do and you don't have to have a lot of strength to handle it safely. The key is to take the weight off the hitch ball before attempting to release the tension bars.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

My bride & I use the same procedure ( Reese 350 Mini-Lite WD ) as RedHorse1 on our 165 either on or off both the TT-TV have to be raised up together !
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbarrentine View Post
If you do RV campsite type camping, your campground host can be your best friend! never met one yet who wouldnt stop at anything to help in any way with anything you need. Maybe others havent had such good experiences...I like to think it is the norm and not the exception. Happy camping!
x2
I think you could certainly count on the kindness of either the park staff or other camping dads if you end up needing help. There are plenty of guys just waiting for an opportunity to be a hero... and then get back to their lawn chair.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #14

Thank you all for your many good suggestions! I leave this morning with the kids and will try some of the things you told me.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

P.S. I used to take the kids tent camping in the summers with other moms, but I find TTing way more difficult. So much to remember and so much physical labor. But once everything is set up, it's just lovely, isn't it?

I finally summoned up the courage to drive the SUV pulling our TT after our last camping trip. I white knuckled it for about a half hour, then got used to it. My admiration and appreciation for my husband grows...
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #16

About eight years ago I got injured at work and was unable to set up the trailer. I taught my 14 year old daughter who did it for me so we could go away on a holiday that year. Still trying to convince my wife to drive the trailer. Maybe it will be this year. Glad to hear you gave it a go.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #17

I have seen some folks leave the WD still connected to the trailer hitch and just pull the pin from the truck trailer hitch and drive away from it. Of course the trailer has to be jacked up to remove the weight as discussed above. This is the easy part just pulling away. I imagine the hard part will be trying to back into the small sized trailer hitch and stabbing the truck trailer hitch hole when you need to hook back up.... Might take a few tries haha...

Anything that makes loud noises scared the "H" out of me too...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

What kind of w/d system do you have? With my Reese dual cam my wife can unhook the TT from the TV easily using the electric jack.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #19

I go camping without my hubby all the time. I learned to do everything myself, and I mean everything! I do struggle with backing in sometimes. I've been known to ask my "neighbor" if I just can't get it. I, also, raise the jack as far as possible and my sway bars are much easier to remove using the "wrench." I do the same when putting them back on. My other advice, make sure you're wearing closed toed shoes while doing this even when you get more confident. Last week, while hitching up, I wore flip-flops and thought to myself, "hubby would be lecturing me right now!" Backing truck up to ball is simple, also. I center the jack to center of tailgate and use side mirrors to judge distance. Since I travel alot with my 7 yr old, I usually have to guide myself.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #20

If you lift the front of the trailer and the rear of the truck high enough you don't need a cheater bar. Sallie and I just use our hands as there is NO pressure on the bars.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote