Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Sumo Springs or RAS

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with Sumo Springs or the Roadmaster Active Suspension kit....or other suspension kits or air bags that were effective. My 2016 f150 is within capacity of my Jayco 284bhs, but I know it's back there. My e2 wdh with sway control works well, but it really squats when I have the wdh unhooked and backing into campsites. I want to reduce "sag" when I don't have the bars on the hitch, but if the RAS or Sumo Springs help with the overall experience it would be great. My plan is to upgrade to a 3/4 ton, but that will probably be a couple of years away. Thanks in advance.
CA
caddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

I just towed home our new 4,700 pound dry weight, 625 pound tongue weight camper (2016 X254, new off the lot) last week with my 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. It was a 180 mile trip from the dealer. The camper is over 27' long. Prior to doing so, I installed the Firestone air bags that I purchased off eBay for $280. I don't have any experience of what the towing would have been like without the airbags but I was very impressed with how level it looked once the trailer was attached to the truck. They threw in a 10,000 pound capacity wdh with the deal. My truck has a 9,000 pound tow capacity/1,000 pound tongue capacity. I'm glad I have the air bags. No worries about leveling.

I installed air bags on my wife's minivan last year when we were towing a pop-up. It brought the back end up so that my safety chains weren't dragging like they did before the air bag install. I hope this helps.

PS - air bags WON'T increase your tow capacity but they will remove the sag the tongue weight of a camper and truck payload brings on.

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

I went with the Sumosprings on my Silverado over airbags. I was worried about the longevity of the airbags and the chance of a leak. The sumosprings are super easy to install. Literally took 15 minutes and I didn't have to raise the back end or remove any tires.

Haven't towed my 242BHSW with them yet but hauled a ton of rocks and another load of 25 bags of concrete in the bed this weekend and had no squat. Rode like there was nothing in the bed.
mammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #4

Why are you unhooking the E2 to back in?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

I unhook to back into and out of my property due to the strain it puts on the hitch because of steep grades. Other than that I was just hoping that one of these options would settle some of the roll the back end occasionally has. Thanks,
CA
Old 03-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddison View Post
I unhook to back into and out of my property due to the strain it puts on the hitch because of steep grades. Other than that I was just hoping that one of these options would settle some of the roll the back end occasionally has. Thanks,
CA
Gotcha. Bags would do the trick IMO. They will also add some extra stability.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

Just ordered the Firestone rear air bags for my 2008 Tundra CrewMax. I installed Bilstein shocks all the way around, because the OEM started leaking. I was hoping this would do the trick for all situations, but with windy conditions coming home from camping last weekend I felt like I need some more stability. My new 28RL tows well but it’s big 😲
Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

I installed the RAS on two trucks. In both cases they improve the ride when not pulling and it kept the truck level while pulling my TT. I highly recommend the RAS. Check out the review from etrailer.com.

RAS is easy to install and on my last truck I didn't need to pull any tires off...of course after installing them on the first truck the 2nd time was a breeze.

The first time I installed the RAS it took a total of 20 minutes and most of that time was looking for my 22mm wrench.

I cannot compare them to the Sumosprings but I do recommend them over the air bags as I had air bags - yes they level your truck but the RAS reduces vehicle say, reduces roll during cornering, reduces axle wrap and hop...and no maintenance. You install and that's it. I did recheck the tension after 200 miles and it was still at my intended tension of 40%.
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the info everyone. It looks like I may just have to pick an option and give it a try. The debate between Timbrens, Sumosprings. RAS, air bags, etc seems to be user preference and varied. I still have about a month or so before I make a decision so feel free to keep the posts coming. Thanks,
CA
Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #10

I bagged my Tundra in 2007 when I got my Toyhauler. P ut a valve on each side and have never had a leak. The bags let you fine tune your ride. Especially with the toyhauler, you may have a ton of firewood or thirty gallons of extra fuel in the bed and on the way home it is empty. I would probably do bags again if I ever replace my truck. I have no experience with the others. They were easy to install also, I used some existing holes in the frame to mount the valves.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

If you're looking into Timbrens then take a look at Air Lift AirCell Suspension Kits | JEGS
I have used all the latest and greatest suspension add on's over the last 10 years. I had SuperSprings and RAS on F150's Both did fine. I've had air bags on two trucks. Both did fine. I've had Timbrens and Aircel on one truck. I prefer the Aircel over all of them for my 5th wheel application.
The Aircel seems a little more forgiving when loaded up. They're easier to change out the plates if you want a different distance to the axle. Unloaded the trucks rides exactly like stock. With the rest of the above mentioned items (minus the timbrens) the stock ride is different. Some good some bad.
Since it's sounds like you only need some help when backing into your home parking spot then adding Aircels would seem to be the way to go. They would only kick in when towing and parking at your home.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #12

I added RAS to my truck and Timbrens to my dad's truck. I chose RAS because my truck's design makes it prone to axle wrap and shudder (2 piece drive shaft with long wheelbase) and because it really helps with body roll in cornering especially with my small lift kit.

I had to adjust my RAS springs a couple times because they do stretch initially, like a spring would normally do. It does bring the back end up higher because it arches the leaf springs a little more. Something to consider, although I wanted the extra lift.

The Timbrens are awesome when engaged with a load. They ride about a generous inch above the axle when unloaded. Occasionally they will slap against the axle when going over bumps which can be a bit annoying. Super easy install, no maintenance, and great performance when loaded up.

The only way I would consider air bags is if I had the on board compressor and dash mounted controller. Much more expensive and there is the potential for leaks.

I am very happy with my RAS choice. Their customer service was great. Firestone's customer service was horrendous. They wouldn't even get back to me to answer my questions about running air bags on a lifted truck. I tried multiple times and left several messages, nothing.

RAS is easy to adjust, too, if needed. Crank them up for summer towing, back them off a bit for off season driving. All you need is a jack, a couple wrenches and 5min in your driveway.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

When I had my Tundra (and TT, not 5er) I started with Sumo Springs and wasn't the least bit impressed. I ended up removing them and was able to send them back for a full refund. Tried the RAS after that and the ride quality was a night and day difference.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote