Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Sunlight seen coming through at seal at slideout

Okay I just got my new T.T & did the PDI inside the dealers garage up in Indiana. All looked well. Today as it is parked & the sun is hitting it at the slide out side I have noticed some light coming through at the lower corner when the slide is in. Nothing seen when out though. I called the local Jayco dealer to inquire about warranty service & they can't get me in till mid September. I am leaving on a long trip with the T.T in a few weeks & will be back the end of October. Any advice in a situation like this. It looks like water didn't come in as it was in rain on the trip home & I didn't find any damp spots. SOO question is Wait till October & use it & than bring in for warranty when back or jump on it now & wait until??? .
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Team

It could be simple as an improperly installed/seated slide seal or a slide that is out of adjustment. When looking at the slide from the outside while it is retracted does it appear that the slide is equally seated against the trailer, top to bottom and side to side? If there is a noticeable gap the slide could need adjusting.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Looking from outside I can't see any abnormalties
Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

The light I see looks like its coming in from the vertical edge of the lower 4 inches of the slide. It is an indirect light.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

I am thinking its the rubber seal. the gap is even all around when closed. I did find a screw in the middle of the rubber seal that I was able to remove by hand & it looks like the seal is slightly deformed in that area. I wonder if the seal needs to be screwed into the wall from the outside??
Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I am thinking its the rubber seal. the gap is even all around when closed. I did find a screw in the middle of the rubber seal that I was able to remove by hand & it looks like the seal is slightly deformed in that area. I wonder if the seal needs to be screwed into the wall from the outside??
Yes its possible you could fix that yourself. If not I would use it until they can look at it. Just keep an eye out for any water intrusion.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

I will try a temporary fix with some gasket material I have (double it up at the spot with soft heat hose wrap that I used for the car a/c line insulation) & than bring it in for service when I get back.
Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

Unless its a mission critical or safety defect, as you use your TT just keep a list of warranty items that need fixing and then after your camping season is done make an appointment for all the warranty work. That is what I have been doing. Different defects/repairs will continue to pop up as you use the TT and there is no point in wasting your camping season with the TT stuck in the shop.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Your right, good point! I was told the list may grow after time so I will be on the road soon.