Jayco RV Owners Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #21
Senior Member
TWP723's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,597
Worth every penny!

TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #22
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 41
Ok....writing this for a 2nd time as connection crapped out as I was first posting.

For my fellow canadian friends.....

BE CAREFUL when buying a surge suppressor (or any electrical device for that matter) that is manufactured out of country. Canada does not allow electrical devices to be sold or used in canada unless it carries at least one of the approved electrical safety certifications (ie. UL, CSA, NSF, MET, etc).

Most of Surge Guard's surge suppressors are not approved for use in Canada. Only a select few are UL approved. None are CSA approved or have any other designation. I am not certain about Progressive surge suppressors but suspect same (as they have pics of all sides of the device on their website and I do not see any designations on the labelling). Perhaps our fellow rv'rs that use progressive can advise if they do and which model.

If you are caught using or selling an unapproved electrical device in canada; it carries a hefty fine (see excerpt below). If an unapproved electrical device is deemed a contributor or cause of a fire/accident/injury/death; the user of the device will be held criminally negligent; and any insurance they have will likely be void. The retailer selling the device can also be held accountable.

Surprisingly, almost all RV retailers in canada are happily (and blissfully unaware) selling unapproved surge suppressors to their customers. There are no controls in place to prevent these unapproved devices from being sold into canada from USA distributors. All canadian RV resellers are purchasing from the same USA distributors (namely coast).

Here are the links backing up my posting. First is link to the electrical safety code (specifically ontario). I am also pasting excerpt below for convenience. Second link is the list of approved electrical safety certifications to use an electrical device in canada. Just ensure at least one of these is embossed on the label or product casing.

Product Safety | EsaSafe
Product Approval Requirements | EsaSafe

=====excerpt of electrical safety code for ontario=====
The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) and Ontario Regulation 438/07 require that all electrical products and devices (including equipment) be approved.
Specifically, the Code states –
Rule: 2-022 Sale or Other Disposal and Use
• No person shall use, advertise, display, sell, offer for sale or other disposal any electrical equipment unless it has been approved in accordance with Rule 2-024 and Ontario Regulation 438/07.

Rule: 2-024 Approval of Electrical Equipment
• Electrical equipment is deemed to be approved if it has been approved according to the process set out in section 2 of Ontario Regulation 438/07.
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) recognizes certification bodies and field evaluation agencies accredited by the Standards Council of Canada to certify or evaluate electrical products or devices. Only equipment bearing a recognized mark or label is deemed to be approved. A list of recognized marks and labels is available on our website.
Failure to comply with these Rules or the Regulation is an offence and upon conviction, a person or director/officer of a corporation could be found liable to a fine of up to $50,000 and/or imprisonment of not more than one year. A corporation may be found liable to a fine up to $1,000,000.
ESA also has the authority to order products be quarantined, seized or forfeited to the Crown for disposal.


wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #23
Senior Member
edatlanta's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,523
If you look at the Progressive Industries web site and look at the hard wired units, both 30 and 50 amp, they do have a UL label. The "C" in front of the UL label stands for Canadian UL. I see to remember a few years back that CUL replaced CSA.

The plug in units do not have this label since they are classified as portable electrical devices and UL is not required.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #24
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 41
You are correct; the portable surge suppressors generally do not have a certification; and when they do happen to have a certification; they don't seem to be a model that offers the over/under power monitoring.

TRC had said same to me; they generally do not obtain electrical certification for the portables; because it is not required. But from what I can tell; Canada seems to require it regardless if it is a portable device or not. Per electrical code: "require that all electrical products and devices (including equipment) be approved."

wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.