Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
I'm not much of a DYI type and when installing the "kit" is there any chance of knocking your alignment out of whack? Just had my axles aligned and wouldn't want to spend another $125.00 anytime soon.

Mohok--I don't think so. I had the same thought earlier today. I believe the springs stay attached to the axle during the install. You're just changing the mounting points, should be equal change both sides. Therefore no alignment issues.

2015 GMC 3500HD SRW 6.6 CCSB (Daily Driver/TV)
2012 Jayco 25 RKS
Living the dream in AK!
alaskahofferts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This is what I was referring in my post #2 . I have them but have not installed them yet.
I missed that in your post #2.

Please update us when you do the install and after. I read about them somewhere weeks ago and some said these are better and last longer than the 'wet' kits.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #13

Thanks for all the responses. I did have the bushings replaced with brass ones and now I will look into weather or not this will be covered under the 2 year warranty.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

Question. Several poster's said they replaced the bushings on one side of the trailer at a time. If I am reading their posts correctly they only had one side of the trailer jacked up, with the tires on the opposite side of the trailer resting on the ground. When doing the replacement this way, when the bolts were removed from the spring eyes/shackles was is hard to realign and re-install the bolts with the weight on the opposite side of the axle??
Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
Question. Several poster's said they replaced the bushings on one side of the trailer at a time. If I am reading their posts correctly they only had one side of the trailer jacked up, with the tires on the opposite side of the trailer resting on the ground. When doing the replacement this way, when the bolts were removed from the spring eyes/shackles was is hard to realign and re-install the bolts with the weight on the opposite side of the axle??
You jack up one side at a time leaving the other side down. Put jack stands on the frame both in from and back of the axles. The jack stands are now supporting the weight of the trailer. Put a bottle jack under the axle. Raising it or lowering it will take the weight off of the shackle bolts and let you replace the bushings and new bolt.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
You jack up one side at a time leaving the other side down. Put jack stands on the frame both in from and back of the axles. The jack stands are now supporting the weight of the trailer. Put a bottle jack under the axle. Raising it or lowering it will take the weight off of the shackle bolts and let you replace the bushings and new bolt.
That's the way I did it and I had no problems. You need some pry bars and a rubber hammer also for extra help.

Key is make sure the rig is stable. I had mine connected to the tow vehicle while working on it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #17

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that with just one side jacked up it would place a side load on axles and when you removed the spring bolts the axles would shift and it would be very hard to get things realigned.
Bill
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #18

You need to remove all the bolts and shakles on the one side first as there was a need for me to push the axle forward and rear to have it fall below the mounting holes to the frame. There was a piece of steel welded within the mounting brackets that reinforce the mounts, but the springs do not drop straight out on my unit. They hit the steel and needed about an inch of movement to allow this clearance. Also if your bolts are rusty you will want to hit them with some liquid wrench a day ahead as they are in there good without rust.

I left a half turn on the old nuts and hit them with a hammer and block of wood. If you have a load hammer that will work as well.

Be very carefull with the brass bushings as they crack and bend very easily due to their softness. Hit them square with a 2 x 4 and hammer or rubber mallet.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #19

I had a lot of tire wear issues last season and called Dexter. They were surprised that we have 20,000 miles on the plastic bushings and suggested we install the K71-448-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit . I have got it but haven't gotten it installed yet. Hopefully it makes a difference.
School Bus Mechanic[/COLOR]
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB
2010 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 5.4 3.55
FireJimCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJimCF View Post
I had a lot of tire wear issues last season and called Dexter. They were surprised that we have 20,000 miles on the plastic bushings and suggested we install the K71-448-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit . I have got it but haven't gotten it installed yet. Hopefully it makes a difference.
Did you install this yet? If so, how did it go?

BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote