Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Sway and wind

I've searched through the forum for all the posts on this subject, but my experience has left me confused.
My first trip was Tuesday, a fairly windy 2 hour drive. It was almost a nightmare for sway. I stopped 3 times and tightened the sway bar. I emptied all of the water Wednesday morning and dropped a link on my WDH (from 4 to 3) to level it. Back of TV was obviously too high. I drove for 3 hours in moderate wind, better but still not enjoyable. Again, passing trucks were throwing me all around.
Today I was quite concerned as it was pouring rain when we left so I backed the sway bar off 1 turn.
Drove for 2 hours and it was great!! There was just a slight wind and very little noticable sway. When trucks passed I just felt the slight tug like I should.
Does anyone know if this is just the result of no wind? I hate the thoughts of having to shut down on windy days.

Thanks
Grant
grantsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

Wind is definitely a PITA, but it sounds like you need to keep tinkering with your WDH until it is dialed in correctly. I've had my trailer in winds from all directions, but none of them have caused any sway that was remotely scary; it mainly just resulted in a huge loss in mpg.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

There is something not right with your setup. I tow a 32ft Jayco with almost no sway ever. I brought it home when new in 45mph sidewinds, and barely noticed the winds. That's how it should be.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Grant,

Dropping a link on the WDH isn't the correct way to level out the TT, the chain link adjustment (number of links under tension) controls the amount of weight being distributed to the TV's front suspension and TT axles. The proper way to level out the TT is to raise/lower the WDH ball mount on the draw bar.

The following JOF sticky will linked you to a walk through on adjusting a WDH and may be helpful: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3873

Once you feel that the WDH is properly adjusted, a trip to a CAT scale will confirm everything you need to know: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Also, if you running "P" rated tires, you may find that an "LT" tire will provide for better TV handling.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote