Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Sway Bar noise

My sway bar (at least I think that's where it's coming from) makes a god-awful creaking noise when turning in any direction. Should I lubricate it? I've seen recommendations that say not to do that.
gpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #2

What sway bar setup do you have?

Different manufactures have different requirements.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towin...ribution-hitch
Old 03-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

Our sway bar did the same after the 5th trip last year. I was told to not lubricate. I just played around with the tension bolt until I reduced the noise (in a big parking lot).

The rest of the year was pretty quiet and the sway bar did it's thing for us.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Check out page 24 & 25, regarding maintenance, it is very similar to my Equalizer.

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towin...ribution-hitch

I grease about every 1500 miles or so, when not in use I cover the ball with a Solo cup, to keep things clean. Some people wipe it down after every trip and re apply before each trip.

I also grease the trunnion pivot points. Equalizer recommends their brand grease, I use some 600 wt rear axle grease I have.

If I get creaking noise it is time to wipe down and grease back up.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Tad

My sway control is really noisy. Thought it was my WDH I disconnected the sway bar. Noise went away. I heard from several people this is normal. I take it off if I am going through a campground after dark so I don't wake anybody
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #7

Husky says to use grease on the brackets. I'll try it but I'm also curious about the tension bolts mentioned though i dont know enough about this stuff to start messing with that kind of thing.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson26 View Post
Husky says to use grease on the brackets. I'll try it but I'm also curious about the tension bolts mentioned though i dont know enough about this stuff to start messing with that kind of thing.
Dont put grease on the friction surface

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Dont put grease on the friction surface
YES, Don't put grease on the friction surface
BUT....
They do make Teflon plates called sway bracket jackets that can be put on the friction surface and it will dramatically cut down on the noise, and still prevent sway. I do grease my pivot points every couple months and re torque to about 75 - 100 foot pounds.
Here is what I am talking about: Check around and see if they make something for your hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...5-01-5150.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
My sway bar (at least I think that's where it's coming from) makes a god-awful creaking noise when turning in any direction. Should I lubricate it? I've seen recommendations that say not to do that.
Your Husky is very similar to our Equalizer hitch. Besides checking the trunnion bolt torque every season, I do apply a film of grease on the upper and lower surfaces of where the trunnions (bar sockets) rub, before every hookup. The Equalizer manual specifies to do this, under the maintenance section.

Since the trunnion bolts are torqued to 150 ft/lbs, my guess is that's where your noise is coming from.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

I follow Husky's instructions for applying grease. I use wheel bearing grease. I also grease and wipe the ball each time we hook up and disconnect.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I follow Husky's instructions for applying grease. I use wheel bearing grease. I also grease and wipe the ball each time we hook up and disconnect.

Husky said bearing grease to brackets. I'll check into the jackets and the torque adjustment as well...it's really loud.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
Site Team

When we first got our hitch, one bolt was so overtightened I couldn't move the spring bar into position, without bracing against the wall, and using my foot. That first ride home with it was terrible, and after rounding a corner, the truck wouldn't want to go straight. I called Equalizer, and talked to a tech for the torque specs. Re-torqueing, and lubing solved both issues.

If you can't push the bars into position using moderate effort only, they need to wear in a little. With usage, the friction surfaces wear, and loosen up. You'll be able to tell this, as moving the bars will seem too easy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #14

Another thing to check is the alignment of the sway bars between the hitch head and the "L" brackets on the trailer. My Equalizer was making an awful racket especially when turning in one direction. It turns out the "sway" bar was only contacting the front edge of the L bracket and causing a lot of metal to metal wear. I made some adjustments to the L bracket height and the number of washers used to tilt the head and got the alignment more parallel to the ground so that the wear was taking place along the whole surface of the L bracket and not just along the front edge.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
lubricate it if you can and make sure the bolts are torqued to spec.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

There are pads that fit on the bracket that the bars slide on. You can also adjust the pitch of the angle of the ball at the hitch (E-qual-Izer).
jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #17

Pg 24 of your owner's manual:
The 3/4” trunnion hex bolts come lubricated from the factory re-lubricate if needed with
bearing/axle grease. Do not apply lubrication to the friction surfaces of the top and bottom plates
or on the top or bottom trunnion surfaces as this will reduce the built in friction sway feature.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #18

Noisy hitch

You can purchase pads that the bars slide on. You can also adjust the pitch of the coupling on the hitch. It will raise or lower the angle of the hitch with attached to the trailer. This is for An equalizer hitch.
jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:52 AM   #19

Sway Bar noise

I use bearing grease on my pivot point of sway bar, not the friction slide that controls sway. I think the factory manual says this. Also on trailer ball. no noise. Messy, watch around clothes. My hitch is 12K Fastway e2. From the manual "The contact points of the head and trunnion knuckles should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip. Check for damage or abnormal wear at the beginning of each towing day and replace if necessary. Use a rag to clean dirt and road grit from all contact points regularly."
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurvis View Post
There are pads that fit on the bracket that the bars slide on. You can also adjust the pitch of the angle of the ball at the hitch (E-qual-Izer).
If you adjust the pitch of the angle of the ball to manage the noise level, you are doing it all wrong. Just saying...

I personally don't give the noise much thought with my equalizer hitch. It's adjusted properly, it's definitely not quiet, but it's back there doing it's job, and it does it well. I smile when I hear it creaking. Hell yeah!
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote