Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Sway bars.?.....

I was looking Into a fifth wheel but I really don't need anything big for just myself, is there like specific lengths to where one really has to use the sway bars? As I'm thinking a trailer 16-20ft is more then enough,really prefer a fifth wheel tho but jayco doesn't make any short ones sadly... thanks for the advice
Perchie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #2

Hmmm. Hard question.

I think you need to define your requirements first. A 5er might very well be what you need to meet them, but perhaps not?

What are you towing with?

I think you might be working this question from the wrong end. Before you seek the answer to how to do what you want to do, you need to define what you want, and can do.

If you are going solo, a 5th is probably too big.

Sway bars??? well that all depends on what you want to tow. If you get a 5th wheel we aren't even talking about sway bars on a traditional hitch. I think you have to define what you want first, then ask how to make it happen. With a small camper and a big truck, you might not need sway control... if your camper has it's own brakes and you need a 1/2 ton or bigger truck to tow it, you're looking for sway control.

first questions to ask:
Where do you want to camp
How big of a unit will fit there
Can you tow it - if no, do you have the cash to upgrade your TV.
Floor plans! What meets your must have requirements?
What is your budget?
Where will you park it when you aren't on the road?
Are you full timing, or just 'seasonal'?
Are you a nomad, or do you have a family?
Can you afford to meet your requirements?
Define 'Big'....

Bigger campers are great, but once you get past 30 feet, you can't 'camp' in as many places. Keep that in mind too. One of my best friends thinks a big camper is one that doesn't fit in his 20 foot garage, and there's a popup in there that we use as a beer table most weekends. I call it a table, he calls it his 'rig'. Doesn't matter as long as it gets used right?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Well let's forget about the 5wheel for now.....

I'm leaning towards a short travel trailer maybe the humming bird or jayflight, I don't need anything big cuz it will mainly be myself... I'll be towing it with a dodge diesel so no problem there. It be quite a bit highway towing, with alot of bush around so not much worry for high winds.
Where I want to camp of how big? Well if I decide to go across Canada it be all kinds of sites, but I'll rather not use camp sites haha that's just me, I know in Alaska there's free camping but if I remember correctly they won't fit a big trailer.
Budget isn't a issue for me, on anything
On my farm I'll park it so I have plenty of land😁.
I'll be alone, probably 14 to 20ishfeet.
As I mentioned before I have the truck to toe anything.

I was just curious if shorter trailers still needed sway bars.. I haven't seen it mentioned being used in particular sizes is all. Thanks for ur reply
Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchie15 View Post
Well let's forget about the 5wheel for now.....

I'm leaning towards a short travel trailer maybe the humming bird or jayflight, I don't need anything big cuz it will mainly be myself... I'll be towing it with a dodge diesel so no problem there. It be quite a bit highway towing, with alot of bush around so not much worry for high winds.

Where I want to camp of how big? Well if I decide to go across Canada it be all kinds of sites, but I'll rather not use camp sites haha that's just me, I know in Alaska there's free camping but if I remember correctly they won't fit a big trailer.

Budget isn't a issue for me, on anything

On my farm I'll park it so I have plenty of land[emoji16].

I'll be alone, probably 14 to 20ishfeet.

As I mentioned before I have the truck to toe anything.

I was just curious if shorter trailers still needed sway bars.. I haven't seen it mentioned being used in particular sizes is all. Thanks for ur reply

Shorter trailers often do need sway control. Depends on the truck, and the trailer. The Gvwr of your truck, its payload, the loaded weight of the camper.. so many factors at play. I'd spend your research on defining your requirements. If the camper weighs half as much as your truck, you will want a weight distributing hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......I was just curious if shorter trailers still needed sway bars.. I haven't seen it mentioned being used in particular sizes is all. Thanks for ur reply
A clarification on what one defines as "sway bars" may be helpful.

If you are referring to a standard WDH (weight distribution hitch) that has two steel "spring bars" that extend out from the hitch head (ball mount) and attach to the trailer A-frame...., please note that the two steel "spring bars" do not control sway, they control the distribution of weight placed on the TV's rear axle.

Standard WDH/spring bars and side mounted friction sway control bar:

Yes, depending on the TV/TT combination in question a properly sized WDH may be required....., even with smaller/lighter trailers. The TV's receiver hitch rating will also influence if a WDH is needed with a smaller/lighter TT.

Yes, a "friction sway control bar" should be utilized with smaller/lighter trailers, especially a single axle trailer. The "friction sway control bar" shown in the above photo can be utilized with or without a WDH.

Many WDH manufactures will recommend that two friction sway control bars be utilized with TT's longer then 26ft......, one mounted on each side of the TT A-frame.

It should be noted that some upgraded model WDH's have "integrated sway control" that don't require the addition of the friction sway control bar.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

TT for one...

I can tell you from experience that a 19RD is just a little bit too much room for a couple of old fogies.

Pulling it with an F-350 5.4L gasser and a WDH without sway control borders on pleasurable.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

I have a dodge diesel 2500, most trailers ive recently looked at like hummingbird and jayflight, not sure the weights on the truck but the trailers be 2500 to 3000,
Well sway control is new to me here I thought I knew a bit of what it did,
I thought they kept u from flipping the trailer in high winds. Hence the name haha,
My truck has payload of 2300lb
Truck weight is about 8000lba
I really don't need anything big for just myself average 15ft long I'm thinking
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a dodge diesel 2500, most trailers ive recently looked at like hummingbird and jayflight, not sure the weights on the truck but the trailers be 2500 to 3000,
Well sway control is new to me here I thought I knew a bit of what it did,
I thought they kept u from flipping the trailer in high winds. Hence the name haha,
My truck has payload of 2300lb
Truck weight is about 8000lba
I really don't need anything big for just myself average 15ft long I'm thinking
Another factor you'll want to be aware of is the capacity of the hitch receiver on your truck. Adding a WDH with built in sway control (like the Equalizer, and others) usually increases how much weight you can attach to your trucks receiver and if you are looking at the mid-sized Jayflights simular to what I have, you'll definitely want a good WDH AND sway control.. no choice really.

Regarding the Jayflights, and hummingbirds - they really do span a large range of weights depending on the floor plan. You can get into a jayflight that weighs more than 8000 pounds dry. Or on the other end of the spectrum, their are hummingbirds that weigh less than 3000 pounds. You'd be surprised, but those bigger jayflights might put you over weight with your 2500 TV.

If you narrow your choices down a bit, I'm sure a lot of us here would be happy to help you with any questions that come up. I'll never tow without a WDH that has sway control built in. Honestly, I'd use one even with the lightest humming bird and a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #9

You need to check your manual or your receiver hitch to see what your carrying capacity of your receiver is. With the heavy diesel engine up front you can have more weight on the receiver before needing a weight distribution hitch. Probably around 700-800lbs. But you need to check your manual for the exact number.

Anything in the Hummingbird lineup will probably be fine to tow without a weight distribution hitch or sway control. To avoid sway you will need to keep your trailer properly packed to maintain around 13-15% tongue weight.

As a rough estimate you would need to stick with a trailer under 5000lbs GVWR. This would ensure you don't go above 800lbs on the tongue weight and with proper loading sway should not be a concern.

With all that said a good WDH with integrated sway will probably improve the towing experience a bit.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

Not to further muddy the waters, but I agree that anything under 5-6000 pounds you definitely don't need to worry about WDH or sway control with a 3/4 ton or better. If you were pulling with a 1/2 ton I'd say you need it. Before I got my 5th I had a 24' keystone bullet- 4900 empty, 6800 gvwr and I towed it with my F350 diesel with nothing but a standard hitch and never had an issue. My truck does have integrated sway control but it never activated, even in heavy winds.

I guess everything I read on the forums about WDH and sway control is a little foreign to me- I've been towing commercially for 20 years and in that world you just drop it on the ball/pintle/pin and go, whether it's an equipment trailer, a large enclosed, hydroseeder, dump trailer, whatever.

Here's my load today- about 14k and it tows like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #11

I'm a single old man, and camp. I spent winters on the road. I have had a number of small campers, and had plenty of room, BUT.....

I didn't like tearing down the table to make up a bed, and in the morn, tear down the bed to make the table back. It gets real old.

Last camper was a Flight 19RD, about the smallest you can go with a separate bed, again plenty of room for me, but, making the bed was a back breaker. Trying to change sheets, and make the bed though about a three or four foot opening (the rest of the bed hard against the walls) got old.

Now I have a 21QB, pretty much the same room as the 19RD, but I can get to the bed on three sides. I'm a happy camper now, lol!

The 21 is a nice size, I have grandson with me sometimes. I can fit into about any camp spot.

I highly recommend this camper for a single person or couple.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post

I guess everything I read on the forums about WDH and sway control is a little foreign to me- I've been towing commercially for 20 years and in that world you just drop it on the ball/pintle/pin and go, whether it's an equipment trailer, a large enclosed, hydroseeder, dump trailer, whatever.

Yes, heavy equipment trailers tow "better" because they are heavier on a surface-area basis. Hauling an 8,000 pound box with a side area the size of a barn results in different physics. Plus you can load equipment easily so 60% of the load is in front of the axle or tandems.

RVs leave little room for load shifting due to the limited space for cargo.

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote