Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 03:22 AM   #21

If Jayco is removing the Sway Command are they also giving back the $375.00 the option cost? To me that is a lot of money. Also my dealer is 900 miles away, we're now closer to the factory.
We tried to connect our truck to the trailer, jus the pigtail, and stepped on the brake to see if the green lights would come on but nothing. Thursday we're going to test pull it to see if the new brake controller (Primus IQ, another $90) works while we're moving at least for nothing else the adjustment can be made. I have some faith left.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #22

I called Jayco and they are saying the sway command should be disengaged until the fix is found. My dealer is saying they are removing the feature, but they do not know what they are talking about.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
From the LCI website
I wonder if there is anything similar that would happen on a Ford truck with the integrated brake controller. It has sway control built-in, I wonder if there is a conflict between LCI Sway Command and the TV sway control. Makes sense, really, it's sort of a race condition. I won't be putting Sway Command on my Jayco, for sure.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #24

I just received an email from Jayco telling me it is unsafe end they will be returning $375 to me
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #25

$375 is full MSRP for the option. Did you pay MSRP that they refund you full retail price?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #26

I guess if it's an unsafe condition, they should also have mobile techs go to the affected rvs and not have the owners bring them in... I think it's a reasonable request.

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #27

Great point with the mobile techs, if the brakes fail with the sway command , why risk bringing the trailer to be repaired if the brakes dont work and a crash occurs as a result.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #28

From what Jayco said was that the Dealer will have to fill out the paper work for me to get $375. Nothing was mentioned about what I paid. I just finished disconnecting from the power source, took all of 10 minutes to do. As well I contact Lippert as I have a 2016 F150, they really did not have a clue about a recall. Their comment was that it does not work on all vehicles.
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #29

I have a 2016 Jay Feather 25BH that came wired for the Sway Command. I have been on the fence about getting the system. I have the traditional friction sway bar and it seems to work just fine.

The one thing that is keeping me from doing it is how the SC works. It applies the brakes on the trailer to "straighten out" the rig thus stopping the sway. I see this as needing to replace brakes in the trailer more often and if it's constantly countering sway then it must be making the truck work harder to pull the trailer.

For now I'm still not convinced. The friction sway bar takes 10 seconds to set up and actually cost me nothing. My friend had a brand new Husky WD hitch, spring bars and sway bar that he gave me for free. He used it twice then decided to get a Bounder because he realized the trailer thing was not for him.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
The one thing that is keeping me from doing it is how the SC works. It applies the brakes on the trailer to "straighten out" the rig thus stopping the sway. I see this as needing to replace brakes in the trailer more often and if it's constantly countering sway then it must be making the truck work harder to pull the trailer.
IIRC, Sway Command is an emergency sway damping system, kinda like the sway control built into newer pickups. It should not intervene on any regular basis.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
IIRC, Sway Command is an emergency sway damping system, kinda like the sway control built into newer pickups. It should not intervene on any regular basis.
Correct. It applies the brakes when it detects a sway condition - which, if you have sway bars or other sway control in your hitch, means that those aren't tackling the problem correctly.

My question is - since I have an older truck without integrated sway control, but instead have a Prodigy aftermarket one, is this really a risk to me? Will my dealer remove it without my approval when I go in for warranty work? (Then again, my dealer hasn't notified me, and is dysfunctional enough that they might not even know about it or will realize it should be done..)
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #32

We arrived at Rick's RV in Joliet Monday 8/1 and they explained that due to the recall they could not install the Sway Command even though we have a Prodigy controller. Apparently there is the problem of resale to someone who has the problem built in controllers. They refunded the money.

We have been camping the since the pickup Monday and our Anderson hitch has come through with no sway events so far in 400 miles.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #33

Where was the wreck caused by the Jayco sway control? Companies usually don't make a total product recall and refund money unless someone got hurt.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #34

I have a '16 Jay Flight 27bhs that has the sway control already installed. I also pull it with a '15 Chevrolet so I was pretty concerned about this issue. I made 3 phone calls to Jayco and had them email me instructions for disabling the unit and it was REALLY technical... UNPLUG IT. That's all, just unplug the silly thing, couldn't tell you that over the phone, thanks, has to be an email. Took all of 5 seconds and that's it. Guess the email is a record in case I unplugged it wrong and go over a cliff but its kinda hard to screw up.
I'm not making light of a potentially dangerous thing here but I had to find out about it on this forum, not Jayco. If it's that dangerous Jayco could pick up the phone and call every one of us or make the dealers do it, its only like 1500 campers affected I've heard. I'm sure mine won't be the only one on the road this weekend either.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #35

I received a call from my dealer today about the recall on my 174bh. They have the kit and I am bringing it in tomorrow morning to have the sway command removed before heading out of town. I figure I'll use the rebate for a sway control bar.
zache57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #36

Interestingly, I see nothing about this on Lippert's web site.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #37

I just had my new Whitehawk at the dealer to have my satellite system installed and mentioned about the recall yesterday. They said they haven't heard about it but immediately went to check it out and confirmed it was true. They had one of their techs remove the sway command unit, but said they had to order a kit to fill in the holes. I guess I'll have to bring it back for that, but at least it's no longer on my RV.

I have a Prodigy brake controller and remember I could hear the wheels locking. I'm so glad it has been removed.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #38

Jayco is removing the sway command from most all of not all Jayco trailers, if they are on the dealer lot there giving the dealer credit of $250 for the option, if the trailer is sold, the customer will get the list price $375 back.

July 2016

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL

NHTSA Recall Campaign # 16V-560

Transport Canada # 2016-380

Dear Valued Jayco Dealer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Jayco has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2016 – 2017 Eagle, Jay Feather, Jay Flight, Jay Flight SLX, Octane and White Hawk travel trailers with a Sway Command system installed. When Jayco trailers with the Sway Command system are connected to certain tow vehicles with factory installed integrated brake controllers, a vehicle operator will lose trailer brakes after the sway system applies the trailer brakes during a sway event. The loss of trailer brakes can result in a loss of control of the tow vehicle and connected trailer, which could result in a crash with personal injury and property damage.

To remedy this defect, Jayco has made the decision to remove the Sway Command system from all affected trailers. Jayco understands that this may seem like a drastic measure but the safety of our Customers is our top priority.

The Recall Part Kits for all the affected travel trailers currently in your inventory, will ship direct to you the first week of August. Orders will be required for the Recall Parts Kit for retail appointments made for the recall remedy.

You will be reimbursed the cost ($250.00) for each Sway Command removed from affected trailers in your inventory through the Jayco’s claims process. Please read the Recall Instruction sheet for specific details regarding information required on your claim and part return requirements.

Retail Notification of this recall will include instructions how they are to disconnect the Sway Command prior to towing the trailer to a Jayco dealer for the recall remedy. Customers will be reimbursed the retail cost ($375) for the Sway Command upon completion of the recall remedy by the servicing dealer. The servicing dealer will note the reimbursement on the recall claim and process re-payment through normal recall claim process. Please read the Recall Instruction sheet for specific details regarding information required on your claim and part return requirements

The Recall Remedy Instructions and the Retail instructions on how they can disconnect the system will be available on Jayco Partners Monday, August 1.

Federal law requires that all units in your inventory be repaired prior to delivery to a customer. If you have sold an affected unit recently, please contact the owner immediately to advise of the recall. In addition, please register the unit by submitting the Warranty Registration information to Jayco.

If you have any questions, please contact Jayco Customer Service at 800-283-8267.

Sincerely,

Jayco Towable Division
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #39

Got my letter from Jayco yesterday.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #40

We got our letter today. There are instructions on how to disconnect the unit but it sounds like you have to actually have it removed by the dealer in order to get your $375 refund.

2013 Ford F250 CC Lariat 6.7 Diesel 4x4
2016 Eagle 338RETS - Finally got it Right!
2011 Eagle 256RKS (Traded)
2010 Select 141J Popup (Traded)
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote