Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #61

Hello Greg....So many things affect sway when towing. I'm reluctant to list them all. I purchased there Hensley Arrow sway control hitch and it seems to eliminate most of the sway. However, if you don't have the proper tires both on the trailer and tow vehicle that can play a huge part in how it performs in high wind and semi's passing. Also inflation of your tires is very important. I recently purchased the Tire Minder pressure monitor for my trailer. Before I purchased the Jayco I had an Airstream and there is a huge difference in how it pulled vs. the JAYCO. The Airstream has a lower profile vs. the Jayco which has 100 percent of the tire visible. The higher the trailer is off the ground the more sway can affect it. That's my input...enjoy your campers....good luck.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
I've towed since having it removed and no problems so far. I'm using an Equalizer hitch and it seems to be doing the job on it's own. I guess I'll have to see if that holds true when I get in windy conditions.
You should be fine. Many of us in the JOF have the Equalizer brand hitch and it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cruzin View Post
Hello Greg....So many things affect sway when towing. I'm reluctant to list them all. I purchased there Hensley Arrow sway control hitch and it seems to eliminate most of the sway. However, if you don't have the proper tires both on the trailer and tow vehicle that can play a huge part in how it performs in high wind and semi's passing. Also inflation of your tires is very important. I recently purchased the Tire Minder pressure monitor for my trailer. Before I purchased the Jayco I had an Airstream and there is a huge difference in how it pulled vs. the JAYCO. The Airstream has a lower profile vs. the Jayco which has 100 percent of the tire visible. The higher the trailer is off the ground the more sway can affect it. That's my input...enjoy your campers....good luck.
Like 1Cruzin said, many things affect sway, especially your tires and their inflation.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 AM   #63

We have Reese SC hitch, 600# springbars, the trailer is level. Tire pressure is check before each trip. We're careful when traveling, we don't have our Hummingbird overloaded as it can only haul 684#,we watch what we have. All water is drained, holding tanks are empty, we stock some food, roughly 80#'s, then clothes. We have 94# of kitchen hardware, minimal "other" stuff, our bikes and the extra rack are another 96#, were just over 310# of load in the trailer. The truck hauls the chairs, grill, 20# propane bottle, easy-up, and our fire-in-a-can, as we don't burn wood due to crossing to many county lines where you can't haul wood through.
The trailer doesn't sway much, you can feel it move, when the sway command was operational you couldn't feel the trailer move at all.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #64

Is it possible that anything else has changed in your setup? Hitch adjustment, tire wear, or even differing road/weather/wind conditions from one trip to the next? I ask because Sway Command had no role in stabilizing your rig or eliminating a little sway from a passing semi in normal driving conditions. It is completely passive and only activates to prevent or halt a MAJOR sway event that your WD/sway control hitch is unable to stop on its own. See here: Sway Command Travel Trailer Tow Control Technology

When you were towing with it previously, I doubt it ever activated (you'd know if it did because you'd be experiencing a major sway event). If it was forced to activate every time a semi passed, it would mean your hitch setup wasn't doing its job at all, which I'm sure isn't the case. Like other posters, I'm leaning towards thinking your recent sway is coincidental with disconnecting Sway Command rather than because of it. I recommend you keep trouble-shooting. I'm sure you'll figure it out, you're obviously very detail-focused and conscientious when it comes to loading, weights, etc.. Good luck!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #65

Very well written Mikey. I concur with your assessment as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #66

Mikey, We had the same equipment on-board, but we had our three year old grandson with us on the SC disconnected trip . Different Highway: US 80/90E compared to US 65N, same hitch, same TV. All I'm saying it the seat of the pants feel from the driver seat. I know the Lippert Sway Command only works (or is suppose to) in the event of a large event. I just found it odd that unplugged this semi induced sway was more noticeable. Could it have had the SC bleeding a voltage that cause the brakes to "drag" slightly stabilizing the trailer? Maybe...I did notice the brakes were hot after a 600 mile day trip coming back from Alabama but I didn't check either. I'm picking up my Hummingbird 17Rk today from the dealer since the SC was removed. So can't test any theories new.

When we had our Aerolite Zoom 718FD I shorten the 2" insert by 3.5" to improve the overall handling of the rig, so the Reese SC not stock, this mod brings the CG between the vehicles closer together. Our Hummingbird only ahs ever been pulled with this Reese SC hitch.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:40 AM   #67

I pick-up our Hummingbird, and the brakes we not hot at all at the end of the trip. There must have been some type of drag going on even with the control side of the SC unplugged. I got almost 1 MPG better gas mileage bring the camper home. I know it was only 72 mile return trip from the dealer (I use the fill and refill to determine MPG) and it showed a difference (always track my MPG with and without the trailer). I compared the trip taking it to the dealer, and the average mileage since ownership. The Hummingbird 17RK (1868 miles in the average) gets 2.4 MPG (on an average) better than our old Aerolite 718FD with roughly 29,322 miles in the average.

Since the SC were damaging brake controllers (that why it was removed - because a loss of brakes) their must have been some electrical feedback in the system.
I now see a recall on FORD's integrated brake controller.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
I pick-up our Hummingbird, and the brakes we not hot at all at the end of the trip. There must have been some type of drag going on even with the control side of the SC unplugged. I got almost 1 MPG better gas mileage bring the camper home. I know it was only 72 mile return trip from the dealer (I use the fill and refill to determine MPG) and it showed a difference (always track my MPG with and without the trailer). I compared the trip taking it to the dealer, and the average mileage since ownership. The Hummingbird 17RK (1868 miles in the average) gets 2.4 MPG (on an average) better than our old Aerolite 718FD with roughly 29,322 miles in the average.

Since the SC were damaging brake controllers (that why it was removed - because a loss of brakes) their must have been some electrical feedback in the system.
I now see a recall on FORD's integrated brake controller.
Hi Knotty, glad the uninstall had no adverse impact. Improved mileage is nice too, although you'll probably need to log more miles to be sure. For example, last week I took a 700 mile round trip and averaged 10.6 mpg on the way out and 9.1 mpg coming back, no changes to my weights or setup other than the direction and day of travel. As I'm sure you know, everything from elevation rise to wind speed and direction can dramatically affect mileage when towing from trip to trip.

Can you share with me the information you have on a recall for Ford's integrated brake controller? Thanks!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #69

Mikey, the local TV station's news noted it for some 2016 models. 70 miles is not much to base an average on, it a two lane state highway with new pavement. Direction of travel makes a big difference. When we went to Yellowstone we got 9.5 out and 11.3 back with a 1998 Tahoe and our Aerolite on I-80. Got a couple of trips yet to take this year with a longer distance in which I can compare to previous times.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #70

Sway Control

I read most of the Post about a sway control problem. i would encourage anyone who is experiencing sway issues to first evaluate the tires on their tow vehicle. i know from experience that if you don't have great top of the line tires on the tow vehicle you probably won't be happy when the semi's come whizzing by. I have the Hensley Arrow sway control hitch and thought that would cure the problem. It helped but as soon as I upgraded my tow vehicle tires and the problem was significantly improved. Also if your trailer tires are older than five years they may also be affecting your sway issue.