Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Sway Command

As I wait for my trailer to be built I periodically review the Jayco website for changes. Noticed today that there is no mention of Sway Command as an option any longer. Anyone heard about why Jayco dropped this option?

I ordered my trailer with it, but wasn't sure how well it really worked. Anyone able to provide insight on whether or not I might miss it?

Finally, before anyone replies that Jayco has a right to make changes... I know that and I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to if anyone knows why they made the change.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

It worked for us on the High Plains.. Not sure if its offered on 2017 models

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
As I wait for my trailer to be built I periodically review the Jayco website for changes. Noticed today that there is no mention of Sway Command as an option any longer. Anyone heard about why Jayco dropped this option?

I ordered my trailer with it, but wasn't sure how well it really worked. Anyone able to provide insight on whether or not I might miss it?

Finally, before anyone replies that Jayco has a right to make changes... I know that and I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to if anyone knows why they made the change.
If I had to speculate, I read they were having some compatibility issues with some OEM truck brake controllers and they might not have been able to correct that successfully. Then there is always the possibility that there just wasn't enough interest from buyers in general to keep offering it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
It worked for us on the High Plains.. Not sure if its offered on 2017 models
When you say it worked for you, did you actually experience a sway issue that was severe enough to cause it to engage?

I was under the impression that it only activated when sway became really pronounced and outside of the range of normal sway control devices. Is that not true?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

I just purchased a SLX195rb that came pre-wired for Sway Command. As I have experienced sway before that on the edge of out of control I am having it installed before delivery. Would love real world experience reviews like the previous reply. as I still have time to cancel the install.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
When you say it worked for you, did you actually experience a sway issue that was severe enough to cause it to engage?

I was under the impression that it only activated when sway became really pronounced and outside of the range of normal sway control devices. Is that not true?
Yes it activated but it was not under extreme sway. It was before extreme sway..
We do not have sway bars. The dealer told us they were unnecessary and he was right

It was swaying about four inches to either side in 60 mph crosswinds.

So no its not true that it is activated only under catastrophic circumstances

Your rig may differ if its heavier. You might need sway bars but ours is a relatively light unit.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

I hope I could find a place to park if 60 mph cross winds are out there.

I'm not sure what the wind speed is, but high winds, and I suspect 60 mph would fit, causes the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel from Virginia's Eastern Shore to Norfolk to close for RV's and 18 wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Yes it activated but it was not under extreme sway. It was before extreme sway..
We do not have sway bars. The dealer told us they were unnecessary and he was right

It was swaying about four inches to either side in 60 mph crosswinds.

So no its not true that it is activated only under catastrophic circumstances

Your rig may differ if its heavier. You might need sway bars but ours is a relatively light unit.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Here's a quote from one of Lipperts VPs that seems to indicate the Sway Command unit is not really intended to control "routine sway" but is designed to control "extreme" sway events beyond the capability of normally installed mechanical sway control devices. I guess 60MPH cross winds fall into the "extreme" category. Doesn't really sound like the system is designed to replace historical sway control devices but is designed to augment those systems during extreme conditions and maneuvers. Hope to hear the experiences of others who are actually using the system.

LCI VP of Electronics Rob Ford explained that Sway Command, coupled with a good weight distribution hitch system, can greatly reduce trailer sway during emergency maneuvers to avoid traffic accidents or other road obstructions. "Using a weight distribution hitch with sway control bars will handle minor sway events, but that alone isn’t enough to handle extreme sway events that can send the trailer into a potentially dangerous situation," said Ford. "These systems may give drivers a false sense of security, causing them to overcompensate when an extreme sway event occurs and make the situation even worse. Sway Command helps drivers by sensing a sway event before they can, operating the trailer brakes to deter a potentially dangerous situation."
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I hope I could find a place to park if 60 mph cross winds are out there.

I'm not sure what the wind speed is, but high winds, and I suspect 60 mph would fit, causes the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel from Virginia's Eastern Shore to Norfolk to close for RV's and 18 wheelers.
Better get used to those . Not abnormal on the Great Plains

Have been over the CP Bay bridge system. I can see where there is no room for error and an error will muck up traffic for hours
Old 07-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #10

SC also probably engaged when we were in the high speed lane and the person on the left shoulder started backing up into the left lane on OK City
I just wanted to stop but not sure if SC engaged. It was subtle in our high wind occurrence

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
KFM

Sway Command

It was listed and I ordered on my 2017 Jay Flight 28BHS
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #12

It was installed on the 2017 23RD I just received, on our inaugural camping trip it failed and disabled the electric brakes. The service department at the dealership just received a recall notice today saying that it's not compatible with certain OEM brake control systems. They will have to remove it.
mrfloridapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #13
KFM

Sway Command

Just received word from my dealer that the Sway Command option has been removed from my order for a 2017 Jay Flight 28BHS related to recall. I guess better to find out now versus coming in and having to remove.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #14

I guess the more complicated your tow vehicle is the more problems you may have with comparability
Our truck has no OEM brake controller and WDH voids the truck warranty

So we kept the trailer small and uncomplicated We just don't need anything bigger

So I guess Sway Comnand has been removed?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 07-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #15

From the LCI website:

WARNING!
THE USE OF LCI’S SWAY COMMAND™ WITH 2014, 2015, 2016 GM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ITBCM COULD CAUSE REDUCED BRAKING EFFECTIVENESS, INDUCE LOSS OF BRAKE CONTROL AND INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY WHEN TOWING A TRAILER.
When LCI’s Sway Command™ is functioning on a trailer, the subject GM truck will display “Service Trailer Brake System” in the vehicle message center, the ITBCM will become disabled and the electric trailer brakes will not function until the ignition has been turned off and back on to clear the code.
DO NOT USE LCI’S SWAY COMMAND™ WITH 2014, 2015 OR 2016 GM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ITBCM WHILE TOWING A TRAILER.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #16

I just signed the paperwork on my new rig. Dealer said that the DOT put a stop to the use because of the safety issues noted above.

They offered to take the value off the deal or give me credit towards a hitch package.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #17

My tow vehicle is a 2014 VW Touareg, its' very high tech trailer towing package is too high tech for the Sway Command. The dealer is having to remove it.
mrfloridapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #18

1 16V560000 JAYCO EAGLE 2016 9901308 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL Jayco, Inc. 20151013 20160720 V 3085 MFR Jayco, Inc. 20160727 20160727 Jayco, Inc. (Jayco) is recalling certain model year 2016-2017 Jay Feather, Jay Flight, Jay Flight SLX, Eagle, White Hawk, and Octane travel trailers manufactured January 5, 2016, to July 18, 2016, equipped with a Sway Command anti-sway system. When connected to certain tow vehicles that have an integrated brake controller, and after the anti-sway system has applied the trailer brakes in response to a sway event, the trailer brakes may no longer function to slow or stop the trailer. A loss of trailer brakes may lengthen the distance needed to stop the vehicle and cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Jayco will notify owners, and dealers will remove the Sway Command system from the affected travel trailers, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Jayco customer service at 1-800-283-8267. Jayco's number for this recall is 9901308. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). 000059251001988686000001165 20160729 Sway System may cause Loss of Trailer Brakes

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/downloa...ecalls_new.txt
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #19

Our 2017 Hummingbird has it, but sorry to the green light which my understanding should light when connected does not. I was told our Drawtite brake controller will not work with it. We now bought a primus IQ controller that is supposed to work. The sway command on our trailer does have power, ground, and the signal, but never have seen the indicator lights lite. I don't think it's working. Our next trip is next weekend so we'll check it again. My understanding is that it is going to be a standard feature, so I wouldn't think it would be on the option list.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post

Take a look under the "Recall" thread. Our dealer just told us today about a recall on Sway Command.
Christy M. is offline   Reply With Quote