Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Sway control

We purchased a Jayco jay flight 25rks in February. Unfortunately the weather has not been great this year and we have not had a chance to get out with it yet. We bought our trailer in Kamloops and live in Vancouver. So it's about a 4 hour trip thru high mountain passes. The day after we made our purchase we woke up and looked outside and discovered it had snowed. So now I was faced with towing our new trailer over a mountain pass thru snow. I had never pulled anything of this size before as for the last 20 years we have always had a tent trailer. We decided to wait until noon and see if the weather would clear and eventually it did somewhat so we decided to go for it. I was a bit nervous for the first 1/2 hour but quickly discovered that it towed like a dream. Had no issues at all other than the first hill (very steep and long)the trans temp started to climb pretty good so I will install another trans cooler this summer. We had no trouble at all with sway but I have seen lots it forums and have talked about sway and there are lots of stories about those "white knuckle moments" as I said this thing towed like a dream and I did have to slow myself down a few times just to keep it safe. We had no real wind and the trailer was empty. Once we load things up and head out on the road things may change a bit. So my question is how many use sway control and is it worth it? Stories? Advice? I've been advised to just keep it under the speed limit a bit and enjoy the trip and this is my intention. Thanks
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Do you have a WDH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar Crew Cab 5.7L
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Yes you bet
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Might already have anti-sway built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar Crew Cab 5.7L
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #5

Some tow vehicles, have "tow packages" that might even have built in anti-sway control on the latest models. I have a 2011 Ford F-150 Supercrew with a "tow-haul" package but have a manual anti-sway EZ-Lift (passenger side) friction sway control that when adjusted properly has worked well on a Jayco Jay Feather 21M hybrid trailer. About 22 ft. long. Just up graded to a 2017 Jayco Jay Feather 23BHM, 26 ft. 4 inc., which I have not picked up yet. I can tell you I started out towing with a Ford Explorer and rapidly learned the wheel base was too short causing "white knuckling", which led to the upgrade to the supercrew, longer wheel base. The truck made the Big difference. If you do go to the friction anti-sway bar you start on the passenger side for supposedly under 26 ft. They say there MIGHT be a need for an additional anti-sway on the driver's side when trailer is over 26 ft. My new trailer is 26 ft. 4 in. and I travel windy, cross wind highways, so I will find out if the second is necessary after I pick it up.
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #6

No it does not. From what I have seen there are usually friction plates or something along that line to slow the sway my equipment hitch has nothing going along those lines
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #7

I also have a 2010
f150 crew cab long box but unfortunately for me I did not get the one with the tow package when I bought it we only ever had a tent trailer with no brakes. I have installed a brake controller and everything else was wired. Dealer installed a hitch when I bought it.
There is a anti sway configuration in the dash display but I have no idea what it does by turning it on or off. Manual does not give much info on it and when I asked at the dealer I got looked at like I had three eyes and told.... it stops the trailer from swaying....no kidding but what does it do?? Like I say at this point sway has not been an issue but 4 hrs up the coquihalla hwy is far from the experiences from people in this forum.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
I also have a 2010
f150 crew cab long box but unfortunately for me I did not get the one with the tow package when I bought it we only ever had a tent trailer with no brakes. I have installed a brake controller and everything else was wired. Dealer installed a hitch when I bought it.
There is a anti sway configuration in the dash display but I have no idea what it does by turning it on or off. Manual does not give much info on it and when I asked at the dealer I got looked at like I had three eyes and told.... it stops the trailer from swaying....no kidding but what does it do?? Like I say at this point sway has not been an issue but 4 hrs up the coquihalla hwy is far from the experiences from people in this forum.
What is the brand and model of hitch the dealer installed?
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #9

Ooooooohhhh I'll have to get back to you on that one. I want to say reese or hidden hitch. 6000 lb no wdh 11000 with wdh I should say reciever. The wdh I have is pro series I belive
Old 04-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #10

Definitely hidden hitch
Old 04-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranetech View Post
snip.......So my question is how many use sway control and is it worth it? Stories? Advice?........snip
I've always utilized a sway control device, WDH integrated or otherwise......, and when it's needed the payback is priceless! A mechanical means of sway control should be incorporated even if the TV is equipped with an OEM electronic sway control system.

The best advice I have is take your TV/TT combination under loaded conditions to a CAT scale for a weigh-in. This is the only way to confirm that your WDH is sized/adjusted correctly, proper weight has been returned to TV front suspension, proper TT tongue weight, and all other weights are within specified limits.

Note, a sway control device can't compensate for a compromised TV/TT combination, especially in less then ideal towing conditions (weather, poor road conditions, etc.).

CAT Scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #12

Thanks good information
Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #13

I believe sway control is detrimental for safe traveling, regardless of TV And RV combination. And agree 100% with Rustic Eagle as far as the CAT scales.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I believe sway control is detrimental for safe traveling, regardless of TV And RV combination. And agree 100% with Rustic Eagle as far as the CAT scales.
Detrimental? That would mean that sway control is bad, which doesn't make any sense.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #15

In the 2016 Jaycos (or at least in quite a few) there was an optional electronic sway control system that Lippert had. All campers were pre-wired for this. Somewhere along the line there was an issue found with the system and how it interfaces with the brake controllers on the tow vehicle and discovered that the TV would think there is a problem with the trailer brakes and it would stop sending the braking signal to the trailer. The only way to resolve the issue was to stop the vehicle, turn it off and back on. Maybe Microsoft designed the system. Of course this is a huge safety issue so there was a big recall on them and they were disabled. The 2017s no longer have this as an option and they were no longer prewired for this.

As far as physical sway control there are different systems out there that are tied into the WD hitch that you use. For instance my old camper had a Draw-Tite WD hitch. This used the friction bar which was a 3rd bar between the TV and trailer which had a material like a brake pad that you would add or decrease resistance on it depending on conditions. Honestly our old camper was only 23' overall and we never used it. For the new camper we were looking at options and being 30' overall I wanted something. The dealer said they usually use the Equal-i-zer hitches which also come highly rated here by members. This system has friction built into how the WD bars attach to the trailer. I considered this but opted for the Blue Ox system which uses spring bar pressure to provide sway control. The main factor for us was our load can change drastically depending on if we are going to a full hookup site or boondocking. I liked the idea of being able to tune the adjustment on the fly with a chain based system rather than having to adjust the Equal-i-zer. No wrong answer but I felt the Blue Ox would work better for us.

EDIT:

Here is a link for info on the Lippert Recall for the Sway Command which is the electronic Sway Control I mentioned above.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...all-38570.html
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Note, a sway control device can't compensate for a compromised TV/TT combination, especially in less then ideal towing conditions (weather, poor road conditions, etc.).
Bob
Words to live by.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #17

I too have the 2010 F150 Supercrew, long bed. I have the max tow package and tow a 2016 27DSRL. When I first got the trailer, I had no anti-sway and did several short trips near my home and experienced no problems. However, we were planning a 2000 mile trip to Yellowstone in the summer and wanted the extra security of an anti-sway device. So, I installed manual anti-sway EZ-Lift (drivers side) friction sway control. (I chose drivers side because that is the side I am on when I exit my truck.) Anyway, the only times I've been glad for some sort of anti-sway has been while driving in winds or when getting passed by big trucks. Driving from Spokane WA to Boardman OR there was wicked cross wind. My truck's "automatic anti-sway" never activated though my truck and trailer were getting pushed around pretty good. I was glad for the friction sway bar I installed. Similarly, driving through the Columbia Gorge on I-84 bucking a head wind, we were getting pushed around frequently. Again, my automatic anti-sway never activated, but I was glad for the friction sway bar. I've also been buffeted by passing trucks on I-5, and was glad for the friction sway device. So for $60 it was good insurance for me and I think made a difference. But that is just my experience.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Detrimental? That would mean that sway control is bad, which doesn't make any sense.
&*#$@!

NOT detrimental, essential! Nice grab Rpreeb!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I never leave home without sway control. Even on my 16' Jayco 165 sport.
I've have good results with Fastway E-2 systems.
I just bought a Curt TrueTrack system with sway control.
Pretty much same design, except adjusting ball height and angle is easier with the cam design.
This system will be for my new TT I am poicking up 4/17. Jayco Jayflight 24RBS
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17500.html

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #20

Thanks for all the responses I am becoming SWAYED to the yes side for sure and am also thinking I will DEFINATLY make a trip to a scale and make sure things are right. My towing capacity is 7800 lbs and my dry weight is 5200 lbs so I am a little closer than I would have liked but this 2007 Jayco jay flight is in mint condition. I will get things loaded up and see where things fall. We are just making a few close trips this year to try and get used to a trailer of this size ( I know it's a baby to what some of you have) next year if all goes well we would like to do the Alaska Hwy leaving from Vancouver BC. CANT WAIT.