Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #21

After reading all the great advice and doing a little checking into some things on my end, I’ve decided that I need to increase my tire pressures and make a visit to the CAT scale.

My trailer has good quality Goodyear tires (as part of the Baja Edition option) but I confirmed that my pickup does NOT have LT tires. I may need to consider upgrading tires at some point if increasing my tire pressures and confirming weights don’t solve the sway problems.

I’m quite curious to make a visit to the CAT scale as I have a suspicion that the WDH is overly “sprung” as one of the adjustment settings is maxed out. The service guys at the dealership said it was fine, but I hesitate to take their word with confidence.

With the kiddo’s daycare shut down due to the pandemic, it might take me a while to find the time to make it to the scale and play with tire pressures, but when I do I’ll post the results here as I’m sure you’ll all be on the edge of your seats wondering how things turned out!! Haha!!

Thanks again for all the great input!!
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #22

UPDATE:

Hi...I wanted to post an update in case anyone who offered advice was curious and more so to help someone else out who might end up in my shoes. So, here's what I found after playing with tire pressure and making a trip to the CAT scale:

I think low TV tire pressure was the main culprit in the sway. Trailer tires were already at max PSI but my pickup was about 18 PSI lower than the maximum. Great for driving around town, not so great for pulling the trailer. I filled my pickup tires to max and didn't do much else to the trailer in regard to moving around the load weight from my last trip when I experienced the little bit of sway on the highway.

I followed all the instructions of the link provided in the 4th post on this thread and found that I am much much closer to the maximum capacity of my pickup than I had anticipated...but still within reason. My tongue weight was at 16% of TT weight so I'll be able to resolve that issue easily by moving around a few items of gear and making one small adjustment to part that the spring bars sit on.

All in all, the weighting of the trailer and gear was fairly close to where it needed to be, but I like that I have the knowledge and peace of mind to know that it's now right on the money after taking it across the scale. Being so close to the max capacity of the pickup, answers whether or not I'll be towing with full water tanks or not...that's a question I've been wondering about recently and seems to be a hot topic of debate in the threads where the question comes up!

Moral of the story: TIRES were the bulk of my problem!

Thanks all for the advice!! Have a great summer!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #23

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you got it resolved. Can I ask what your truck tire max pressure ratings are, and are they now at that pressure when cold (before driving warms them up)?

Also, I for one will be interested to hear how you change loading to get tongue weight down, especially on whether you get it down closer to 10% as Ford recommends. I.e., if you're good now at 16% in terms of sway, will l getting it down to 10% actually make things worse? Thanks again for shsring your experience.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Can I ask what your truck tire max pressure ratings are, and are they now at that pressure when cold (before driving warms them up)?
Also, I for one will be interested to hear how you change loading to get tongue weight down, especially on whether you get it down closer to 10% as Ford recommends. I.e., if you're good now at 16% in terms of sway, will l getting it down to 10% actually make things worse? Thanks again for shsring your experience.[/

Yeah, I have P rated tires on my pickup that were running at about 35psi for around town. I put them at 50psi in front and 51psi in the rear (yeah, I’m that detail oriented to pay attention to 1psi!). Yes, cold temp before the mid day sun and/or driving warms them up.

As for the second item, I’ll post another update with more detail, but for now What I’m doing is moving a couple items (approx. 100lb) from the front storage to the rear under the bunkhouse. In addition to that, I was traveling with my heavy ass generator and 14 gallons of drinking water right at the very rear of the pickup bed...I’ll be moving those items forward to the front of the pickup bed to distribute the weight better between the steer and drive axles.

Last thing for now: we’re going on our first bigger mileage trip toward the end of May, so at some point before that I’ll confirm all my weights at the scale and post another update with the changes I made
Old 05-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #25

Thanks, sounds like same as my tires. I'll have to try the 1 lb higher pressure on the rears,maybe that's the ticket!

You might also try putting the 14 gal of water in the trailer, on the floor over or just behind the axles, which should convert about 110 lbs of truck cargo load to about 10 lbs of tongue weight load on the truck instead.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #26

GL243 - Yeah...I was a couple cocktails in last night when I replied to you. Moving the generator and water forward in the pickup bed would serve the purpose of better distributing weight between the steer and drive axles. Moving some of the items in the trailers forward storage compartment to either the rear of the trailer or the back of the pickup will be more effective in lowering the tongue weight. Not sure yet how I'll do it, but I'll let you know when I get it dialed in.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
GL243 - Yeah...I was a couple cocktails in last night when I replied to you. Moving the generator and water forward in the pickup bed would serve the purpose of better distributing weight between the steer and drive axles. Moving some of the items in the trailers forward storage compartment to either the rear of the trailer or the back of the pickup will be more effective in lowering the tongue weight. Not sure yet how I'll do it, but I'll let you know when I get it dialed in.
Yup, sounds right. My suggestion would only make sense if you find yourself bumping up to or a bit over your truck's GVWR, but you still have a bit of GVWR left in the trailer. But sounds like you'll have this fine tuned better than me or most anyone else, so my hat's off to you. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #28

My rig is pretty similar. 31.5 feet 7000lb loaded trailer, 2014 F150 Max Tow. I will say this thing tows like a dream.....until there's a measurable wind higher than 10 MPH. Weight is weight. I wish I had a 3/4 ton. I solved most of my problem by getting a seasonal site this year. It was not the reason for a seasonal, as it was not that bad. It just fit us to get one. What I noticed I don't feel was sway as much as push. A big sail back there for a half ton. Doesn't matter how easily it tows in perfect conditions. It does matter when the wind kicks up. Trailer wins the movement contest every time.
Gifted to daughter: 1996 Jayco Eagle Pop-up loaded with memories!
Puckfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
snip....... Also, I for one will be interested to hear how you change loading to get tongue weight down, especially on whether you get it down closer to 10% as Ford recommends......snip
IMO 10% may work with boat, utility, and possibly pop-up trailers....., but once one starts towing a taller, heavier, and long TT most find that a 13% to 15% range provides enhanced TV handling characteristics...., especially in less than ideal towing conditions (weather, roads, cross winds, etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Hi...

I've got some sway issues with this trailer. When I left the lot with it and drove it home, it felt like it was swaying all around behind me. I had hoped that it'd improve with weight, but it didn't. I took it back to the dealership and they readjusted the hitch which helped a little bit, but I can still feel it swaying behind me. I'm wondering if it's maybe a load distribution issue...I don't know.

Here's my set-up:
Trailer is Jayflight SLX8, 267 BHSW Rocky Mountain/Baja editions
Gross trailer weight is 7,500, but I don't think I'm maxing it out at all

Pickup is a 2018 F-150 with Max Trailer Tow Package
I have a Husky Centrline Hitch with sway control

I will say, I've never pulled a camper before...lots of trailers, but never a trailer with so much surface area to catch the wind...so maybe that movement behind me is normal...I just don't know.

Any advice would be helpful!

Hello,

I have the same trailer, but I don't get a lot of sway. The difference is in the hitches, 2-way sway vs. 4-way sway control? Mine is a 4-way Equalizer Distribution hitch, 10,000lb. I get very little sway with that hitch, and the trailer pulls competently.

I get some sway in crosswinds, which is to be expected. Otherwise it follows exactly where I ask it to. Hope this helps.

ST
Kreigshunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Hi...

I've got some sway issues with this trailer. When I left the lot with it and drove it home, it felt like it was swaying all around behind me. I had hoped that it'd improve with weight, but it didn't. I took it back to the dealership and they readjusted the hitch which helped a little bit, but I can still feel it swaying behind me. I'm wondering if it's maybe a load distribution issue...I don't know.

Here's my set-up:

I will say, I've never pulled a camper before...lots of trailers, but never a trailer with so much surface area to catch the wind...so maybe that movement behind me is normal...I just don't know.

I had same problem with a TT. I switch to a Pro Pride Equalizer hitch and it solved the problem. Google Pro Pride or Hensley they are expensive but worth it. If you want to contact me privately please do I can answer more questions.
Doug k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Hi...

Here's my set-up:

aS other say, can be overweight, and/ or hitch too light, too much weight behind trailer axle. Watch this video, adjust cargo, try again, BEWARE can cause loss of control/ wreck. And/ Or CAT scale weights and call around for a HITCH WEIGHT SCALE? Maybe U-Haul or other hitch company?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigshunde View Post
Hello,

I have the same trailer, but I don't get a lot of sway. The difference is in the hitches, 2-way sway vs. 4-way sway control?

ST
I believe that mine is 4-way. It's the Husky Centerline TS, rated to 12,000. What are you running?
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO 10% may work with boat, utility, and possibly pop-up trailers....., but once one starts towing a taller, heavier, and long TT most find that a 13% to 15% range provides enhanced TV handling characteristics...., especially in less than ideal towing conditions (weather, roads, cross winds, etc.).

Bob
Thank you for the input. I believe it's going to be hard for me to get below 14% when I travel with freshwater tanks full. I ordered a garden hose flow meter so I can better gauge how much water I'm putting in my tanks for the times that I travel w/o full tanks. That should help.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckfan99 View Post
My rig is pretty similar. 31.5 feet 7000lb loaded trailer, 2014 F150 Max Tow. I will say this thing tows like a dream.....until there's a measurable wind higher than 10 MPH. Weight is weight. I wish I had a 3/4 ton. I solved most of my problem by getting a seasonal site this year. It was not the reason for a seasonal, as it was not that bad. It just fit us to get one. What I noticed I don't feel was sway as much as push. A big sail back there for a half ton. Doesn't matter how easily it tows in perfect conditions. It does matter when the wind kicks up. Trailer wins the movement contest every time.
Yes, I think wind and lightweight TV is a big part of it. My trailer has 80 gallon FW tank so I'm maxing out the GVWR on that trailer at 7,500lb going down the road with full tanks. I'm working on paring down some of the stuff I've put in the trailer or transferring some of the heavier items to the pickup bed for travel. Like I mentioned above, I ordered a garden hose flow meter so I can better keep track of how much water I'm putting in my FW tank so as I learn the ins and outs I can start traveling with less water to bring my loaded trailer weight down. So much to consider that I didn't anticipate! Thanks for the input!
Old 05-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #36

I dont want to hijack this, but I have a question. Lets say you have a f250 diesel truck and a 31' 8k TT. Do you even worry about a hitch. I bought one because I thought I needed it, but the damn thing is heavy. I was thinking about trips under a 100 miles, do I really need it?
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
I dont want to hijack this, but I have a question. Lets say you have a f250 diesel truck and a 31' 8k TT. Do you even worry about a hitch. I bought one because I thought I needed it, but the damn thing is heavy. I was thinking about trips under a 100 miles, do I really need it?
Just speaking from experience, I have pulled my little 5500# 22BHM with my Cummins Ram both with and without a WD hitch. There is a noticeable difference in stability with the WD hitch than off the ball. I use my Andersen hitch with it all the time, even with that heavy truck.

With a heavier and longer trailer than I currently have, I would recommend using one in your application.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
The jokester in me would say that yes, you really do need a hitch. It's not safe to drag a trailer via the safety chains.

If that's an 8k GVWR, I wouldn't be as worried about a weight distribution hitch as I would about having some type of sway control. A 31' trailer has a lot of surface area to blow around.

With my F250 6.2 my 11,000lb scaled weight Eagle put 1800lbs on the tongue which took about 500lbs off the front axle. My WD hitch restored about 380 of that 500lbs to the front axle.

With a heavier diesel and lighter tongue, you'll take less weight off the steer axle, so IMO WD is less of an issue.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #39

You're talking about a weight distribution hitch and not just the hitch your truck came with correct? Just my opinion, but I would say yes you need a WDH as well as one with sway control. A lot can happen in a hundred miles. Or even 20 miles.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
The jokester in me would say that yes, you really do need a hitch. It's not safe to drag a trailer via the safety chains.

If that's an 8k GVWR, I wouldn't be as worried about a weight distribution hitch as I would about having some type of sway control. A 31' trailer has a lot of surface area to blow around.

With my F250 6.2 my 11,000lb scaled weight Eagle put 1800lbs on the tongue which took about 500lbs off the front axle. My WD hitch restored about 380 of that 500lbs to the front axle.

With a heavier diesel and lighter tongue, you'll take less weight off the steer axle, so IMO WD is less of an issue.
Thanks MorleyZ, My best friends last name is Morley.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote