Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Swift 184BH vs Launch 18BH - Ceiling Height?

I am just about to purchase a Jayco swift 184bh, any owners out there have feedback?

After making a deposit I found the starcraft launch 18bh, it appears to be identical expect that is has fiberglass sides, and an extra 5 inches ceiling space. Anyone have complaints about the ceiling height in the jayco? I am trying to decide if I should try to get out of the deal on the jayco.

Thanks!
Gsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #2

No input on the height of the ceiling? Anyone find in unbearably low?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #3

I can't comment on the difference between the 2 but when we were looking for our 26BH, we looked at other brands as well and some of them have a much lower ceiling height and we found it too claustrophobic and I am only 5'7" and my wife is 5'6". I would get the one that makes you feel better. If you are questioning it, I bet you won't be 100% happy. Both of those campers are Jayco brands so it really doesn't matter in the end which one you buy. They both offer 2 year warranties and are basically the same, I would try to get the taller one just for that extra 5" of headroom.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

I have owned the 184bh for one year now. I am 6 foot tall and I really don't notice the low height. I have used the shower one time and that is where I noticed the height. There is extra height added into the shower area but you notice that your head is sticking up into that area and it feels a little strange. Other than that, I haven't hit my head on anything yet. We have had the camper out about 14 days/nights so far and it has worked well for our family (me, wife, son, daughter) and I am the tallest. I like the camper, but, I don't recommend any jumping in it, you will hit your head!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

I spent 40 nights in one last season and didn't notice it except for in the shower. I am 6ft as well, it wasn't terrible as I was just happy to be taking a shower those few times lol but now that I have taller ceilings in my new trailer I have to say I do enjoy it. It feels so much bigger and less claustrophobic. You'd be surprised what that extra 5 inches will do... but that's what she said right
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

I agree on the shower, I now know why there is a curved skylight above the tub... so your head can stick up in it! @ 5'9" I find it spacious enough though, 1 good thing about being shorter...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Great, thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

I don't think the Swift SLX is exactly garage friendly unless you have 9 foot doors (it's 8.6"+ before you factor in the junk mounted on the roof including the 3' radio antenna). I'm 5'10" and didn't have any problems inside of the 184 BH in 3 nights sleeping/showering (with my head in the skylight) but imagine someone over 6' would find the interior required stooping to move around which could be a dealbreaker.

One negative to a higher roof is greater surface area for wind resistance while towing. I brought my trailer home this weekend in a pretty stiff headwind behind my Kia Sorento and it felt like I was pulling a parachute as it is... Another 7-8 feet of flat surface over top of my vehicle would not have been a welcome change. Interesting that the Starcraft Flight 184bh is actually the same weight as the Jayco Swift SLX 184bh even with the extra 1' overall height difference and fiberglass exterior.
yuppiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I have since bought the 184bh and love it! I also tow with a Sorrento and I am very pleased with the tow experience.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

That's great news! Congratulations on the trailer