Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Swift & Hitch Height ?

As stated in another post we got a 2012 Jay Flight Swift SLX 154BH, we had a Jayco popup before we got the Swift.

I tow with a 2010 GMC Sierra truck, when I towed the popup, I used a hitch with a 3 ¼” drop, when I went to pick up the Swift, I had to buy a B&W hitch with a 9” drop before the trailer would level out with the truck.

The hitch height on the Swift is very low.

The popup had a hitch height of 18” and the swift is about 16”, it don’t make sense to me if the 3 ¼ “ drop worked for a hitch height of 18” why wouldn’t a 5 ¼” drop work for a hitch height of 16” ?

Here is the problem, you can’t use a sway bar with the B&W hitch, does anyone have some suggestions ?
Hitch Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hitch Pin,

I can't account for the ball mount (drop bar) difference, but what matters is that the "loaded" TT tows level (or just a little nose down).

Sounds like you are not using WDH (weight distribution), but rather the standard ball mount and hitch ball style. This also implies that you will need to confirm that your TV's OEM receiver is rated to handle the Swift's "loaded" tongue weight without a WDH.

There are sway bar adapter mounting plates that can be mounted between the hitch ball and the ball mount. IMO not an ideal sway bar set-up, but it's better than nothing at all. Take note that these products very depending on ball size and receiver Classification, here's one example: http://www.etrailer.com/p-RP26003.html

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

I had the same issue almost when I went from Jayco popup 1206 to new Swift SLX 184BH.
The 1206 was higher and I had to flip the the tow hitch. Now with the 184 it's back to low side. I use the sway bar apparatus that Rustic Eagle has linked above. The trailer is so lite that this sway bar combination works just fine. Real fast disconnect is great too for when needing to back into site. TV doesn't know it's back there. Using the same TV we towed our 5ver and 1206 with.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote