Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Switch converter charger on and off

I have a 2016 264bhw with the wf-8735p integrated converter. I am adding a battleborn 100ah battery and a 1500 watt inverter. I plan on adding a 30 amp outlet in the front storage compartment next to the inverter. When I want to use inverter power I will plug in the shore power cord into the 30amp outlet. If I do this I need to find a way to turn off power to the onboard converter charger to avoid the power loop. It seems my fridge and converter share the same circuit. Ideally I would just add another breaker but there doesn’t seem to be room for another one. How can I kill power to the converter but keep power to the fridge. If I turn off the fridge breaker will it still be able to run on propane? If that’s the case I will just turn off that breaker and not worry about it.
Fdnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #2

You say there is no room for a breaker. Have you considered a dual breaker? They fit in a single breaker's spot and give two separate circuits. My rig came with one and I had to swap out another single for a dual when I added 120 volt to my water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

In the world of aftermarket installed inverters, are there only manual methods for turning off AC power to the converter in order to avoid the power loop? Or are there cleaner, automatic methods?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdnavy View Post
I have a 2016 264bhw with the wf-8735p integrated converter. I am adding a battleborn 100ah battery and a 1500 watt inverter. I plan on adding a 30 amp outlet in the front storage compartment next to the inverter. When I want to use inverter power I will plug in the shore power cord into the 30amp outlet. If I do this I need to find a way to turn off power to the onboard converter charger to avoid the power loop. It seems my fridge and converter share the same circuit. Ideally I would just add another breaker but there doesn’t seem to be room for another one. How can I kill power to the converter but keep power to the fridge. If I turn off the fridge breaker will it still be able to run on propane? If that’s the case I will just turn off that breaker and not worry about it.
Yes - turning off the AC breaker for the fridge would be the same as not being connected to shore power for the fridge. In automatic mode it will switch to propane, or you can manually set it to propane.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #5

Following

I have a 224bh with the same convertor and also was toying with this thought. You could always add a relay to interrupt the the circuit when the inverter is on, i would like to hear other alternatives tho. Also the convertor isn't capable of bringing the battleborn batteries up to 100% charge from what I have read online?
Sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
I have a 224bh with the same convertor and also was toying with this thought. You could always add a relay to interrupt the the circuit when the inverter is on, i would like to hear other alternatives tho. Also the convertor isn't capable of bringing the battleborn batteries up to 100% charge from what I have read online?
Relay...good idea! Any others?

No, the WFCO-8735 won't completely charge Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries. It'll get them somewhere in the 85-95% range: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lts-86057.html
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #7

I am still uncertain how I am going to do my install, I want to do it with as little amount of alterations to the original state of the trailer for warranty and resell purposes. I wish the converter wasn't integrated into the AC /DC power panel. I may just do the inverter and have one standalone receptacle run off it and just plug and play what I need powered at the time. Kinda of inconvenient but simple. Just bought a pellet smoker for the camping season so I have to get something figured out haha
Sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote