Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #1

Take to dealer? Roof issue

2022 242BHS, 12/21 build date, in my possession 1.5 weeks. Inspected roof during pdi from scissor lift (all that was allowed)...found a pointy rock with a small hole on my first trip up on the roof.

Patch it myself? Take to dealer? Demand new roof? There are about 4 other less pointy rock type objects in other spots. Not sure what I should do really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220123_115851.jpg (440.3 KB, 167 views)
Mrspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #2

Hello,

I would definitely go through dealer to make sure you retain roof warranty. Probably ask for new roof too if there are multiple points waiting to break through when you walk on it.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #3

There is a real good chance there are loose screws, screws backing out, nails or staples under there. If it was a few years old I would personally just cut a small slit over the problem, pull it out, replace it with a screw and put on some Etearnabond to seal it up forever.

But as it is new, you have several and may have more, get the dealer to fix it right.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #4

I would take it to the Dealer, without question. If it is that new, there may be other problems and fixing it yourself will complicate the warranty. My ladder screws popped out when my TT was new, and I just fixed them myself and Ethernabonded over the assembly. When I had a section the size of a quarter pop through the CS agent tried to void the warranty because of work I did on the ladder. Management stepped in and recognized it was a "training issue."
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys..leaning heavily towards taking it in. It's frustrating since I feel like I would take more care in a repair than the dealer..that and it will take longer to hitch up than do the repair. Worth the peace of mind though
Old 01-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #6

I agree that you should let the Dealer handle the repair. But we also had a roof issue with our TT right after we purchased the unit. The Dealer took care of the problem by totally replacing the roof. They had even written in the repair order it shouldn't take more than 3 weeks to replace the roof. But they had our trailer for over 2 months, and the only reason we got it back when we did is because we told the Dealer we were going to bill them for campground reservation we were going to have to cancel if we didn't get the repair finished in time. So be prepared for a long stay at the repair Dealer.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

Hope you have better luck than I did with Jayco warranty...

I have the same problem with the staples on the metal ridge seam of the roof coming out (think I posted that on this forum at one point). Took it to a
reputable service center where I was, back late November, before warranty expired...expires end of this month. Dealer was skeptical that Jayco would do anything as they have seen this before and Jayco wouldn't cover if no holes in membrane. But what really got me was there was a minor cosmetic scratch on the front of the roof where I guess a limb scraped across...no tear in the membrane, just a visible scratch, and Jayco wouldn't do anything to the roof due to staples saying that was owner maintenance because I let a limb scratch the roof.... ...so now I will heed the advice of those on this forum and use some screws, cover with either eternabond tape, or Dicor and be done with it....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I would take it to the Dealer, without question. If it is that new, there may be other problems and fixing it yourself will complicate the warranty......snip
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
snip......so now I will heed the advice of those on this forum and use some screws, cover with either eternabond tape, or Dicor and be done with it....
EternaBond sealer tape is the way to go..., doesn't require maintenance and when properly applied will outlast the roofing material.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrspanky View Post
2022 242BHS, 12/21 build date, in my possession 1.5 weeks. Inspected roof during pdi from scissor lift (all that was allowed)...found a pointy rock with a small hole on my first trip up on the roof.

Patch it myself? Take to dealer? Demand new roof? There are about 4 other less pointy rock type objects in other spots. Not sure what I should do really.
A picture is worth a thousand words. I would ask Jayco how that rock, and the others, got there.

Edit: It's obvious to me Jayco didn't clean the roof before covering it. I would be at the dealer when the cover is removed and document the findings. What I would do with that information is ...
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #10

One addition to my comments. Do everything with an email thread and keep copies. This was critical to my issue because my Service Tech had a complete thread that he gave to management before they called Jayco.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #11

Heard from the dealer today..been there for a couple days. Jayco approved full roof replacement. There are probably 8-10 staples sticking up the worst one being the one in the picture in the op. Dealer has been good to work with..kind of sucks on a trailer this new, but hopefully it will be done right this time.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrspanky View Post
snip......Jayco approved full roof replacement......snip
Good to hear...., appreciate the follow-up.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #13

That’s good news. Roof replacements are not cheap. Back in 2001 I had an expensive 32’ Class A (Made in Alabama) that had huge bubbles all over the roof, and it was only 3 months old. After lots of arguing, E-mails, and consulting an attorney they agreed to replace it. After 7 weeks in the shop and almost 9,000 dollars worth of repairs I got it back. It’s not too reassuring to see your new purchase all torn apart while it’s being worked on.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #14

That's good news. I was encouraged to walk my roof during delivery and thankfully didn't find any issues but I'm not certain I really understood what to look for.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #15

After awhile, I found a small brad head that popped up thru my rubber roof after warranty.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #16

Been there, done that. From experience, I would go with the do it yourself route, with a small cut to investigate and fix the problem, then an Eternabond patch. Had one place on slide when the trailer was new where it looked like a screw head was going to pop through. Figured it was under warranty so why not have it fixed. Slide roof membrane was completely removed with a new one put on. Dealer said they found a price of debris/wood chip left on top of slide that was covered up. A simple slit in the membrane to investigate, with removal of the debris, followed by an Eternabond patch would have been a better more efficient drive route in my opinion, versus removing the entire slide top membrane and replacing. Originally, I figured, why not, the warranty is covering it. Hindsight it was at the dealer for 4 months. Depending on the quality of the work, seemed like there was a lot more that could go wrong down the road with an entire membrane replacement by the dealer versus just a small slice and repair then reseal job with a small patch. If I had to do it again, I'd do my job myself, but all cases aren't the same.
Thermalfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalfrost View Post
Been there, done that. From experience, I would go with the do it yourself route, with a small cut to investigate and fix the problem, then an Eternabond patch. Had one place on slide when the trailer was new where it looked like a screw head was going to pop through. Figured it was under warranty so why not have it fixed. Slide roof membrane was completely removed with a new one put on. Dealer said they found a price of debris/wood chip left on top of slide that was covered up. A simple slit in the membrane to investigate, with removal of the debris, followed by an Eternabond patch would have been a better more efficient drive route in my opinion, versus removing the entire slide top membrane and replacing. Originally, I figured, why not, the warranty is covering it. Hindsight it was at the dealer for 4 months. Depending on the quality of the work, seemed like there was a lot more that could go wrong down the road with an entire membrane replacement by the dealer versus just a small slice and repair then reseal job with a small patch. If I had to do it again, I'd do my job myself, but all cases aren't the same.
*** BEST ANSWER ***

Admins can close this thread now
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #18

Roof Issue

I had roof issue. My dealer was Camping World of Newport News. Jayco gave them the parts to replace my roof. Went to inspect up completion. New roof looked like rocks under it with two holes in one place. I wouldn't accept it. Camping World put another roof. This time they use EPDM. Jayco said because they used a different material I had no warranty. Camping World said they would honor it for what it was worth. Numerous dents, damage and lost parts and several more trips to get everything working again. I replaced my ladder out of pocket because CW was not going to touch it. It got damage from all the roof work. Completely sloppy work. If you have a good dealer and good RV tech , good luck.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #19

Great that the dealer will replace the roof. Hope it goes very well and reasonably soon!

I would be wary of them doing as good a job as the factory, even with the flaws. We received great service from Terrytown, but something as big and complicated and important as a roof might cause me to feel I could repair it better myself than having a shop replace it.

Now that my unit is older and the roof has had some minor hail damage which I covered with Eternabond, I would definitely repair it myself. As others have said, investigate, repair better than new, cover with Eternabond and forget it.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #20

If you bought your unit at Camping world expect to take the next 6 months away from your trailer. They will probably consider that normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear in their opinion they won't cover under any warranty. I'm going through a battle with them right now on a construction defect they won't repair without charging big bucks. Good luck.
R800EXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote