Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Taking Delivery Soon

Hello All:

I just bought my first travel trailer and I take delivery next week. I have been spending some time reading many of your posts (I'm very pleased to see how helpful and resourceful members are), but I must admit, I am now terrified. My only RV experience prior to this is two trips in a class C motor home that my wife, two daughters and I rented. We had a great time, hence the new purchase, but you guys are scaring me. Please tell me it's not as bad as it seems?! Is there anything I NEED to know before we head out for our first time, such as items that aren't just basic common sense, or something we may not have needed for a motor home that we will need for our trailer?

Thanks in advance!
Sway Bar
CBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome. I, like you, was extremely nervous when I took delivery of my TT last year. I can tell you that while it is good to be cautious, you really have nothing to fear. You and your family are in for some really good fun experiences.
scrawf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Were you terrified when you rented the class-C? Those trips must be it turned out well because you bought a trailer!

There are more similarities than differences when camping in a class-C vs a trailer. Is it the camping part that worries you?

Traveling in a class-C is much different than towing a trailer. Is that the part that bothers you?

Lots of friendly, helpful folks on this site. Give us a chance to calm your nerves about your trailer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

We bought our first HTT this spring. I spent a lot of time with it in the driveway. This was our first time with plumbing, so I took time to make sure I knew what valves did what, how to drain it properly, what the water heater sounds like when its filling (so I can safely turn on the heating element without burning it up), etc.

We've been on two outings so far. One with electric hookup, and one totally boondocking for Mem Day weekend. Everything went flawless. AND I've already done my first mod by adding an LED light strip to the gutter behind my awning (which, btw, is awesome!)

I spent two months reading this forum while I waited for delivery. I found that it made me less anxious and gave me better troubleshooting skills by learning from the shadows of camping giants.

ENJOY!! Can't wait to read about the success of your maiden voyage!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Congratulations are in order, even though you may not feel that way now. Remember your Jayco came with a free year of Coach-Net support. They provide a 24-hour RV tech support line. There should be a sticker with the phone number in your trailer or your dealer packet.

Just reading the forum regularly is very educational. And if you have a smartphone, you can search for tips and help from almost anywhere.

I know I still have a LOT to learn about the workings of our motorhome, but I am having fun doing so.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome, just enjoy it and take it slow. After a while it becomes 2nd nature. The main tip I can give is to get familiar with how everything works on your rig and how to use it.
Thee are many here who can answer questions if needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #7

Welcome! Don't freak out....the fun is just beginning. If this wasn't one of the most fun things to do...none of us would be doing it. Hang out on forums and absorb all the free advice. You can learn a whole lot that can save you a lot of grief in the long run. Many of us have been doing this for....decades!

Have fun with it...and error on the side of safety.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

First off great choice in purchasing the 28DSBH. We love ours and it works perfectly for our family of 4. This was our first TT and we purchased it last year. Sure I was nervous as our first trip consisted of an 8000 + Km drive to the east coast. After the first 100 km I hardly knew the TT was there. Smooth sailing and lots of fun was had. Best investment we made!
Enjoy, take it slow and I guarantee you will have a blast!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

You had a good time in the rented C, you'll have a great time in your own.

Make a list of everything you want the dealer to show you how to operate, furnace, stove, AC, water heater, water hookup, electric hookup, sanitary dump. Based on your truck, I bet you know about towing. If the daughters are able to video the stuff the dealer show you, do it.

Have fun
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Were you terrified when you rented the class-C? Those trips must be it turned out well because you bought a trailer!

There are more similarities than differences when camping in a class-C vs a trailer. Is it the camping part that worries you?

Traveling in a class-C is much different than towing a trailer. Is that the part that bothers you?

Lots of friendly, helpful folks on this site. Give us a chance to calm your nerves about your trailer.
Not nervous with the C. I think it was because I knew if anything went wrong, it wasnt my problem, help was just a phone call away. I guess what I'm most concerned about would be things going wrong while camping that I'm ill equipped to handle. I guess the only way to find out is to get out there and do it. If all else fails, I'll be back on here begging for help. Thanks for all the support!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Congratulations are in order, even though you may not feel that way now. Remember your Jayco came with a free year of Coach-Net support. They provide a 24-hour RV tech support line. There should be a sticker with the phone number in your trailer or your dealer packet.

Just reading the forum regularly is very educational. And if you have a smartphone, you can search for tips and help from almost anywhere.

I know I still have a LOT to learn about the workings of our motorhome, but I am having fun doing so.
I was not aware of that support line. That's definitely great to know. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

Thank you all for the support and feedback. The quick response and kind words let me know I'm not alone out there!
Sway Bar
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeck View Post
I guess what I'm most concerned about would be things going wrong while camping that I'm ill equipped to handle. I guess the only way to find out is to get out there and do it.
If you encounter a problem while in a campground, I expect you can walk around and find someone with a similar setup and ask a few questions. Most RVers are delighted to talk about their rigs.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
Site Team

You'll need wheel chocks. Don't ask how I know this. It's embarassing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

Timely and relevant thread.......I too have a 28DSBH ready for pick up on Monday and am a first timer. Best of luck to the both of us!
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #16

If you're new to the backing up thing with a trailer, find a big open space with cones and practice. Always just take your time don't let ANYONE rush you into something. When you're at a campground ready to back in and it seems like the world is waiting behind you and the stress builds.......... RELAX they were once in your shoes doing the same ting you are doing. Try not to rush or get anxious. Bad things happen when those 2 things mix. Good luck and happy camping.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #17

Congratulations Damer, and happy camping!
Sway Bar
Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
If you're new to the backing up thing with a trailer, find a big open space with cones and practice. Always just take your time don't let ANYONE rush you into something. When you're at a campground ready to back in and it seems like the world is waiting behind you and the stress builds.......... RELAX they were once in your shoes doing the same ting you are doing. Try not to rush or get anxious. Bad things happen when those 2 things mix. Good luck and happy camping.
Good advice. I've had experience trailering boats, so I'm not too intimidated by that aspect. Although I have no doubt I'll find myself in tighter spaces in CG's than I did with boats.
Sway Bar
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #19

Well, we picked up our trailer on Saturday morning, and by Saturday night we were at our first campground. I am happy to report that the first outing was a success! We did notice that the lower skirt was peeling away from the body in a few places, so I've had to schedule some time with the dealer to have warranty work done, but it's minor and not a mechanical thing that I'm worried about. I had a worse case scenario situation at the dump station. Some of it my fault, some I'm pretty sure was an error on the part of the folks that did the PDI. When I took the cap off of the sewer line from the trailer, a pretty good amount of water came shooting out. My natural reaction was to assume that I would be covered in feces, but I'm pretty confident it was just water. I checked again to be sure all the valves were closed, and they were. I'm hoping that the issues was only that when doing the PDI, the tech ran some water through the system and realized after the fact that he didn't close the valves. We will see! Also, I bought a Rhino Flex hose, and apparently I didn't have it connected at the dump station properly. I'll spare you the details. Glad to have that under my belt. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. We already have 4 more trips booked by year end. Hopefully happy camping! Thanks again all, I appreciate your input.
Sway Bar
Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #20

Congrats on the successful trip.........I had to delay my pick up and will be headed to dealer in a few hours.
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbie help, travel trailer, white hawk 28dsbh