Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Tank sensors

My dealer told me the sensors are fine in my TT but, they are still reading half full and qtr full when in fact, the tanks are empty. They (dealer) told me to put ice cubes in the tank and drive around with them to clean the sensors off. Am I being scammed here fellas or are my sensors shot?

TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

The best advice that I got on the topic of sensors was to not put toilet paper in the tanks. We got one of those small diaper pails that fits next to the toilet and dispose of the toilet paper in the pail. We haven't had any problems since.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

The next time you go camping and dump the tanks, empty the ice from your cooler into the toilet before you drive home. As soon as you get home, dump the black tank again into a 5 gallon bucket. (You can dump that carefully into your toilet at home.) The ice sloshing around in the tank will actually clean the sides of the tank. You may leave some TP in the bottom, because you aren't dumping a full tank, but the sensors are on the sides.

After you do the dump at home, then put about 3 gallons of water in the tank, along with chemicals, so the TP will be dissolved before you travel again. And be aware - you should always put chemicals and about 3 gallons of water in the tank before you store the trailer. That keeps everything smelling fresh and lets the chemicals dissolve anything left behind - and you're all set for the next trip.

Also - a tip I got from the Outbackers.com forum is to put a capful of liquid Calgon water softener in the tank at the same time as the chemicals, after every camping trip. The Calgon makes the inside of the tanks slick, so less stuff will stick. I've done this for 8 years and never had a sensor problem. (The only place I've been able to find the Calgon is at Walmart, in the laundry detergent section.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
My dealer told me the sensors are fine in my TT but, they are still reading half full and qtr full when in fact, the tanks are empty. They (dealer) told me to put ice cubes in the tank and drive around with them to clean the sensors off. Am I being scammed here fellas or are my sensors shot?
Typically stuff will get stuck on the sensor inside the tank, this will make the sensor give a false reading, OR you could simply have a bad sensor.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
The best advice that I got on the topic of sensors was to not put toilet paper in the tanks. We got one of those small diaper pails that fits next to the toilet and dispose of the toilet paper in the pail. We haven't had any problems since.
You can get RV/Boat TP at Walmart pretty cheap. Then you won't have a bucket of stinky TP in your bathroom. The toilets and black tank system are designed to handle TP, as long as you buy the kind that will dissolve. Watch this YouTube video:

Read my other post and believe that taking those measures, I've had no sensor problems in 8 years of owning and using an RV toilet.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 04-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #6

I am willing to bet it is not your sensors. Your tank is dirty and needs a good cleaning. Warm or hot water works best. I would fill and drain the tank numerous times until it runs clean. We use a clear sewer adaptor this allows me to see that my tank is coming clean. Most of the time a campers tank problem comes from not using enough water. We all want to conserve water and not have to empty the tank too often.
I have heard from many campers that the crushed ice works. Add the ice when you travel. Hope it works for you.

ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #7

I also have a wand that I put down the toilet into the tank, hook up a hose, then rinse the tank. It has a high-speed rotating head on it (like a mini-lawn sprinkler). It works great! I always do that at the end of every season. But my new Jayco has a black tank flush inlet as standard equipment. Hope that works well.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

There is a on-line video about ice in black tank. A guy built a clear plastic tank, put on sensors, clogged them up with tp and other junk, dumped in lots of ice, then drove for several miles over some very rough roads. Final results showed the sensors still clogged. Less tp is better, ladies use lots to blot, so we have a container for blotting paper. Not ready to save the soiled stuff yet. Water is most of the answer, but they will still clog on occasions. Use a flashlight down the hole, easy to see when its nearing full.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Thanks everyone!! I truly appreciate it!
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
I also have a wand that I put down the toilet into the tank, hook up a hose, then rinse the tank. It has a high-speed rotating head on it (like a mini-lawn sprinkler). It works great! I always do that at the end of every season. But my new Jayco has a black tank flush inlet as standard equipment. Hope that works well.
The black tank flush built into our Greyhawk seems to work well. Using a clear 45 degree connector, I can dump-wash-dump-repeat until the effluent looks clean. So far no problems with the tank sensors.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote