Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Tank Sizes

My wife and I are currently shopping for a new travel trailer. It's just the two of us so I want to keep the length less than 30' and dry weight around 6000 lbs or less. I will store it inside when not being used so it will need to be no taller than 11'6". My biggest issue is the tank sizes. We currently have an older model (not a Jayco) that has 40 gallons for each (fresh, gray and black). If we are conservative, we can camp for a week without dumping the tanks.

Is it possible to order a travel trailer with larger tanks? Most of the new trailers do not have tanks as large. I do not want to buy a new trailer and have less capacity than we already have. Our current trailer is only 27' from hitch to bumper, so I know that it's been done in the past.

I don't mind adding fresh water when needed, but don't want to mess with the waste until it's time to leave. I do not want to and will not haul a portable tank on wheels for transporting waste to the dump station. Just one more thing to load up and one more extra chore that will make my camping trip less enjoyable.

John
JuncleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

We have 245rlsw. Baja/Rocky Mountain edition. It has two 40 gallon fresh for 80 total! Black and grey are both 40. 29' feet long......check it out
Kinger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

A regular 245 has 40 black 40 gray 40 fresh, rocky adds 40 more fresh.

There weren't any option for more gray tank when I ordered. We have a 245RLSW with the extra fresh , It's always the gray tank that gets us headed to the dump station. We last about a week aswell. You can look at tank totes. Some BLM land you can dump gray that's the only place I see a tote being worth it.

Fulltime Boondockers
2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi
2020 Jayflight SLX8 245RL Rocky mountain/ Baja
600w solar (+100 portable), 450 ah bank
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #4

Thank you, I'll have to check that out.

John
JuncleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger33 View Post
We have 245rlsw. Baja/Rocky Mountain edition. It has two 40 gallon fresh for 80 total! Black and grey are both 40. 29' feet long......check it out

Hi Kinger33. (sorry for thread resurrection)

When you say you have a 245RLSW with both Baja and RME, do you mean it is branded as both? Or do you mean to say the RME has things that the Baja does as well?

I am trying to figure out some standards and options specific to the 2019 and/or 2020 245RLSW models, and struggling a little bit to do so. For example, both those trims would have a larger fresh tank, but the wheels and suspension would be different.

Does yours have flipped axels? Steel wheels or brushed aluminum? What size (and type) of Goodyears?

Thanks in advance for any help.I am narrowing my next target to a 245RLSW RME but want to make sure it has everything I need and understand other options.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Hi Kinger33. (sorry for thread resurrection)

When you say you have a 245RLSW with both Baja and RME, do you mean it is branded as both? Or do you mean to say the RME has things that the Baja does as well?

I am trying to figure out some standards and options specific to the 2019 and/or 2020 245RLSW models, and struggling a little bit to do so. For example, both those trims would have a larger fresh tank, but the wheels and suspension would be different.

Does yours have flipped axels? Steel wheels or brushed aluminum? What size (and type) of Goodyears?

Thanks in advance for any help.I am narrowing my next target to a 245RLSW RME but want to make sure it has everything I need and understand other options.
He means he has both packages.
If you want an RME /BAJA I'm pretty sure it will be branded with both. Rme sticker on the front but i think there's a baja sticker by the door. It will have steel wheels with the spring over conversion. I custom ordered my trailer you cannot get those options without getting the package. RME adds the fresh extra tank baja doesnt. Baja adds 30# propane.
I can confirm the sticker bit when I get home later today.

RME gives you 40gal fresh water, bigger fridge and a bunch of little cosmetics on the inside.
Baja gives you propane and a spring over conversion.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #7

Thanks Bandit. That helps a little. RME should give you insulated underbelly too. Is that the same as Bajas enclosed underbelly? Probably not completely but you are partially double paying if you add both packages.

Hmm.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Bandit. That helps a little. RME should give you insulated underbelly too. Is that the same as Bajas enclosed underbelly? Probably not completely but you are partially double paying if you add both packages.

Hmm.
There is no overlap, one requires the covered underbelly for underbelly heating but you pay for that separate.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
There is no overlap, one requires the covered underbelly for underbelly heating but you pay for that separate.
OK, let me ask your opinion (maybe I should have taken this to PMs): IF doing it again, would you personally recommend the Baja or does the RME meet your personal needs? Have you seen a need for the extra height?

For context: I have a 175RD BAJA now, and may be moving up sizes, seriously looking at the 245RLSW. Frankly, I like the Baja we have now, and think it is helpful for some of the places we go for height alone, even though we aren't "offroading". USFS potholes and gas station entrance aprons are bigger than you think sometimes. Many of the 245RLSW that I see out there have RME but I have not seen a Baja. (Granted, I have not looked very hard yet).

Note: Baja trim on my 175 gives me both a larger FW tank and larger propane. It's interesting that it does not do the same on the 245.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
OK, let me ask your opinion (maybe I should have taken this to PMs): IF doing it again, would you personally recommend the Baja or does the RME meet your personal needs? Have you seen a need for the extra height?

For context: I have a 175RD BAJA now, and may be moving up sizes, seriously looking at the 245RLSW. Frankly, I like the Baja we have now, and think it is helpful for some of the places we go for height alone, even though we aren't "offroading". USFS potholes and gas station entrance aprons are bigger than you think sometimes. Many of the 245RLSW that I see out there have RME but I have not seen a Baja. (Granted, I have not looked very hard yet).

Note: Baja trim on my 175 gives me both a larger FW tank and larger propane. It's interesting that it does not do the same on the 245.
So far in my experience boondocking I've been glad I got the baja. Some of the national forest roads get gnarly. That said I think the 245 is at the edge of utility for it. When roads get that bad they tend to have shorter spots.
If I wasnt living in it for long periods I'd go with a shorter trailer.