Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Tank Sprayer Vacuum Breaker

Hell All -

New here! We just bought a 2011 330 RLTS. Had an issue with the black tank sprayer leaking and it appears to be the plastic vacuum breaker in the line above the tank. I looked on-line and saw a new one is $45 for the plastic one. Do I really need this? Is there a better one I could use as a replacement?

Thanks -
Jtrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! LOL I would do some more analyzing first. Are the connections good? Does your rig still have a warranty?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! LOL I would do some more analyzing first. Are the connections good? Does your rig still have a warranty?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

No warranty. Just curious if there was a better alternative to the plastic one.....then again, most of the remaining components are plastic as well.

norty1 - Do you know of a better deal?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Team

No, never had one go bad.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

I have the same problem on a 2004 Designer 5er - the vac breaker for the tank No-Fuss Flusher is on a line directly above the driver side basement door, and located under the bathroom sink. Twice when I connected a hose to the outside fitting, got a water leak right down the pipe to the basement. Have now confirmed that the water is coming from the vac breaker. According to Jayco, the breaker cannot be repaired, and I need a new one. Trouble is, they recommend getting a new one from a Jayco dealer, but so far have not furnished me with a part number. The breaker is plastic, but no dealer so far (I've checked several) has been able to come up with the replacement. Both Grainger and McMaster-Carr catalogs list a similar vac breaker (but metal, not plastic), but not sure if the RV one is different from the regular one. Have queried Jayco if a generic breaker is OK to use, but have not heard back from them yet. BTW, my vac breaker has a vertical input, and horizontal output, with a cap on top. Most of the units I have found from RV suppliers are straight inline, not 90 degree ones like mine. Jtrober, your newer unit probably uses the straight line version, and yes, you definitely need a vac breaker of some kind, as its job is to prevent backflow from your tank to the water source through your hose. Without it, reverse pressure when you shut off the water could contaminate both your hose and the campground spigot. That is why the manufacturer suggests disconnecting the hose from the spigot before disconnecting from the trailer, to avoid getting sprayed with the normal brief water back pressure.

Anyone out there know where we can get these 90 degree vac breakers for the older units ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrober View Post
Hell All -

New here! We just bought a 2011 330 RLTS. Had an issue with the black tank sprayer leaking and it appears to be the plastic vacuum breaker in the line above the tank. I looked on-line and saw a new one is $45 for the plastic one. Do I really need this? Is there a better one I could use as a replacement?

Thanks -
On our 2011 330rlts the black tank sprayer leaked at the fitting where it enters the black tank. Put teflon tape on the threads of the fitting and that took care of the problem.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #8

tinlizzie23 - We also have the breaker with the 90 degree configuration. It is a B&B model 571. I found one here:

http://pdxrv.com/catalog/i29.html

Bounder - Thanks for the input, I did check the line down to the tank and it seemed ok. I had my wife slowly put the water to the sprayer as I was under the camper and all of the water ended up in the bathroom leaking from the vacuum breaker.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

See if this works and saves you a few bucks:

http://tweetys.com/checkvalve12mptx12fpt.aspx
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #10

Jtrober - thanks for the tip on the B & B 571. Checked it out, but the fittings are backwards from mine - my male threads are on the vertical, and female on the horizontal. This one looks like the male threads are on the horizontal. If I use it, that would put the cap on the side instead of the top. Wonder if that would make a difference in the function ? If so, guess I would have to change the pipes and fittings to make the 571 work . . . .
Retired at last !

Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #11

tinlizzie23, mine actually has male threads on both ends.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

Jtrober - went out to the trailer and re-checked the breaker, and you are right. I goofed. Without taking it out, I had seen the male threads clearly on the vertical connection, but the horizontal was turned at an angle and the large thumbwheel looked like it was on the valve, which would make it a female end, but this time I took it out, and sure enough, there are male threads on both ends, like you said. Guess that's my screw-up quota for the month, so I'd better be real careful for the rest of the month, right ?

Anyway - thanks much for your help, and I will order the B&B 571 right away. Have a great day !
Retired at last !

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #13

P.S. While I had the vac breaker out, blew air through it from the hose connection side, while holding thumb over the tank side, and it was wide open through the cap. Guess that confirms that the valve is the problem.
Retired at last !

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #14

Mine did the same when I blew through it.....lets hope a new one will cure this...at least for a while...
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #15

Could these be breaking from freezing. I blow out the flush line when I winterize.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #16

I suppose it is possible for freezing to be a factor, but I had never used mine since I bought it last fall. And don't know if the previous owner did or did not clear this line. However, I have heard that this vac breaker is supposed to let water on the tank side drain down into the tank, and let water on the inlet side drain back out the hose. It therefore seems that normally there shouldn't be any water remaining in the line.
Retired at last !